Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What are the Odds i get BB?

Options
  • 29-06-2006 7:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 667 ✭✭✭

Hi all
    Eircom Have confirmed to me that this is the week that my local exchange WILL be upgraded. Activity on the ground indicates that indeed such an upgrade is possible as there are a LOT of new poles and wire been installed. :)

So far so good .... now question is will the copper be good enough?
    1) I live just on 3 miles by the road from the Exchange
    2) Dial-up connects at a consistant 28.8-32K speed
    3) Download speeds are a consistant 3.2K and upload speed a consistant 3K as measured by DU Metre software (slightly OT ...this is strange but true it also shows dial-up downloading at speeds of upto 15-16K a sec when opening this and other forums sites ...how can this be? Reading Cache as been downloaded possibly?)
    4) NO pair gain on my line :D

Anyone know how likely i am to get BB on this line? Im guessing the best i will get is an amber but hey that sure beats dial-up :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,191 ✭✭✭uncle_sam_ie

I'm just over 3 miles and can't get DSL because I'm "too far" from the exchange. I think 2.5 miles is eircons limit. Good luck though.

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

If I was a betting man, I'd say: not a hope in hell. For your sake, I hope I'm wrong. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭zuma

Ah the bliss of it all!

We pay the most but get the least.......forward thinking I tell you!

• Registered Users Posts: 667 ✭✭✭Altreab

oscarBravo wrote:
    If I was a betting man, I'd say: not a hope in hell. For your sake, I hope I'm wrong. :(

BUGGER!!!

But thats what im thinking too ....... So when do you get a wireless network setup here OscarBravo? :)

P.S. Offers from all interested in installing a FAST wireless network to my Home looked at :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭Urban Weigl

You could share a DSL connection with a neighbour who is closer to the exchange, and whose line passes. The way you'd do this is to set up a point to point link between your two houses. You'd need line of sight, though. And the equipment will cost a few hundred.

A possible alternative: http://www.vodafone.ie/soho/price/dataroaming/3ggprsplans/index.jsp

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

No 3g where he is :(

You could share a DSL connection with a neighbour who is closer to the exchange, and whose line passes. The way you'd do this is to set up a point to point link between your two houses. You'd need line of sight, though. And the equipment will cost a few hundred.

A possible alternative: http://www.vodafone.ie/soho/price/dataroaming/3ggprsplans/index.jsp

I have looked at both those solutions ...... 3G not availible as SpongeBob says ......In fact only place to get a "reliable" signal is if i go to a 1 square metre spot at the front of the house :(
    Nearest Line of sight spot with internet access is 10Km approx as the crow flies!!!
    looks like i will be building my own FFFing masts and telecoms network before i myself before i get BB :mad:

Ok today i am seeing just how bad this line is and have to say im sickened!!
    At the moment i am connected at 14.4K ..... yes thats right ...no typo ....last time i had a connection this slow was when i was on a 9600 modem!!! TOTALLY pissed off today!!

It looks like your line is split. You might want to have a look at vodafone again. Even if you not in a 3G area you'll still get least a 45k connection 24/7. It's better then you have now.

It looks like your line is split. You might want to have a look at vodafone again. Even if you not in a 3G area you'll still get least a 45k connection 24/7. It's better then you have now.

Just checked it here again and it seems theres a fault on the line ......REALLY bad static and getting worse by the minute .....fault reported.....
    "Techincal staff are working on the problem now ......it may take up to 4 working days to fix the fault"
    FFS 4 working days!!! But hopefully it will be fixed tomorrow!! ......over and out for tonight LOL

• Advertisement

ok folks im fit to be tied here at the momnent :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:
    those shower of *bleep bleep bleep* ER's in Eircom have just informed me that the local exchange will NOT be upgraded until August .......Appearantly they need to sort out recking backhaul For Fifddlers sake
    and remember folkd this is a site where they are getting a huge dosh of cash to upgrade the exchange ......... totally cheesed off here!!!

I hear they will launch between 1 and 4 exchanges tomorrow and between 1 and 3 exchanges on the first weds in August .

Altreab wrote:
    ok folks im fit to be tied here at the momnent :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:
    those shower of *bleep bleep bleep* ER's in Eircom have just informed me that the local exchange will NOT be upgraded until August .......Appearantly they need to sort out recking backhaul For Fifddlers sake
    and remember folkd this is a site where they are getting a huge dosh of cash to upgrade the exchange ......... totally cheesed off here!!!
    You still might not avail of BB when they do get around to upgrade your exchange. My exchange was upgraded in March and from talking to people and keying in number in the area, only those who live less then two miles from the exchange passed the line test.

Sponge Bob wrote:
    I hear they will launch between 1 and 4 exchanges tomorrow and between 1 and 3 exchanges on the first weds in August .
    yes i believe so ..... Spiddeal is a definite from chatting to them ...Cill Chiarain will not be launched "until August" ....they are waiting to install a "Radio Link" for Back haul it seems!!! Maybe they are at long last going to use some of their wireless Spectrum..... What limitations will that have?

EDIT : found my notes on the exchanges that i was told Last week were due for ungrade.There may be others.the list is
    Spiddeal
    Cill Chiarain (not happening until August appearantly) :(
    Glenamaddy
    Headford
    Clifden (wasnt this upgraded a long time ago when Digiweb launched a wireless service there?)
    Kilcolgan

You still might not avail of BB when they do get around to upgrade your exchange. My exchange was upgraded in March and from talking to people and keying in number in the area, only those who live less then two miles from the exchange passed the line test.

Yeah im a skeptic about the ability of Eircom to deliver BB to my location even if it does enable the exchange.Im just under 3 miles away by road!! Where are you uncle sam?? The Techie in eircom i was talking to today was hopeful they would ...."depending on the thickness of the copper to your phone" :rolleyes: (Actually he must be the first Eircom person ever to actually return a call as he said he would) so i will wait and see (bugger all else i can do at the moment)

Altreab wrote:
    Spiddeal
    Cill Chiarain (not happening until August appearantly) :(
    Glenamaddy
    Headford
    Clifden (wasnt this upgraded a long time ago when Digiweb launched a wireless service there?)
    Kilcolgan

I had heard Glenamaddy was to go live tomorrow.

This is the FIRST time I EVER heard that eircom have a new list of exchanges to do.

The following exchanges were NEVER on any previous program of upgrades published by Eircom.

1. Clifden
    2. Headford
    3. Kilcolgan

Extrapolated for population it seems that eircom have quietly decided to do another 60 exchanges nationally themsleves. I wonder if anybody has that NEW list . It would take the number of enabled exchanges to about 500 out of 1100 (officially like in buildings) or 1300 including fibre RSUs

Sponge Bob wrote:
    I had heard Glenamaddy was to go live tomorrow.

This is the FIRST time I EVER heard that eircom have a new list of exchanges to do.

The following exchanges were NEVER on any previous program of upgrades published by Eircom.

1. Clifden
    2. Headford
    3. Kilcolgan

Extrapolated for population it seems that eircom have quietly decided to do another 60 exchanges nationally themsleves. I wonder if anybody has that NEW list . It would take the number of enabled exchanges to about 500 out of 1100 (officially like in buildings) or 1300 including fibre RSUs

Yeah i thought it was strange too I hadnt heard of them been upgraded. ....On a side note i have heard of house 3 miles from the Carna exchange that has BB...... will check it ASAP to see what speeds they are getting. i was VERY surprised when i heard they actually had it. i was positive the copper there wouldnt be good enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Eircom Have confirmed to me that this is the week that my local exchange WILL be upgraded.
    They've been saying that to me for the last two years!! They even came to town ripped up the road, pulled down lines and put up new ones but they must have been doing it for the craic. I rang them up after the guys had left town to be told "yes you have broadband.. oh but no you don't, your on the list and you should have it but for some reason you don't." They haven't a clue what their doing.

ScumLord wrote:
    They've been saying that to me for the last two years!! They even came to town ripped up the road, pulled down lines and put up new ones but they must have been doing it for the craic. I rang them up after the guys had left town to be told "yes you have broadband.. oh but no you don't, your on the list and you should have it but for some reason you don't." They haven't a clue what their doing.

Where are you ScumLord? Latest on the "Upgrade" .... The exchange wont go live until they have installed a "radio link" for back haul .......to be installed "in August" but which august they wouldnt confirm!!

EDIT: Used wrong Name for ScumLord. Deepest Apoligies

Latest news is CC exchange has gone into the July - September (not July- August as i was told at beginning of month) launch period but has been delayed!! Date slipping yet again from the promised August launch.
    No reason given for delay but from earlier discussions it appears to be the radio link.
    Anyone know what bandwidth would be availible on a radio link like this? and where its likely to be linking to?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Fixed Radio links can be any bandwith you pay for.

Delivery can often slip due to equipment shortages.

watty wrote:
    Fixed Radio links can be any bandwith you pay for.

Delivery can often slip due to equipment shortages.

ah i meant what bandwidth are they likely to put into a small exchange?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

It's the price to 3rd parties of Eircom backhaul that is usually the killer. Never heard anyone complain about the bandwidth.

watty wrote:
    It's the price to 3rd parties of Eircom backhaul that is usually the killer. Never heard anyone complain about the bandwidth.

*bangs head off wall* Your right Watty. Should have said Backhaul not bandwidth.. remain me to find brain and engage it before posting in future!!

Advertisement