Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Re-invent the wheel - Web Framework

Options
  • 29-06-2006 9:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 668 ✭✭✭

Hi All,

I am looking to create a web-based application from scratch using either PHP or Java/JSP.

When I got to thinking about this and the "standard" features that the application was going to need, I thought to myself that there is no point in me re-inventing the proverbial wheel. For example, there must be a framework / dummy application out there already that has in-built capability for things such as:
    - user management,
    - password resets,
    - e-mail notifications,
    - security privilage management,
    - administration settings for the site etc...etc...

Basically, I could write the above functionality (and lots of other generic functionality), but before I do wanted to check that there isn't something already out there that I could re-use etc...

Is there any opensource (or similar) projects that have created this common framework? Alternatively, is there any opensource (or similar) projects that could be reused in part?

Your thoughts!!
    Thanks,
    Jab

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27,163 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Hey,
    take a look at things like Struts, Spring, Shale, JSF all that stuff.
    You are basically going to be using the MVC pattern, might as well lever all the development and experience that the rest of the world has garnered over the last 15 years or so!

Handy linky
    http://raibledesigns.com/page/rd?entry=re_what_web_application_framework

• Registered Users Posts: 668 ✭✭✭jabaroon

Hi,

Thanks for the reply. Unfortunatley, this isnt really what I am looking for. I am familiar with Struts and JSF and have used both and would probably use Struts in building my solution....

But, struts doesnt provide anything out of the box in terms of business functionality, it only provides technical framework functionality.

What I am looking for is almost akin to a start / hello world application that comes with standard application BUSINESS functionality such as user management, entitlement management, user self registration etc...

The closest that I have found is probably mambo cms (thus far!), but its not really a cms that I am looking for!

I hope I am explaining this properly!
    Thanks,
    Jab

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,046 ✭✭✭democrates

I'm building my own cms from scratch at the moment as I ran into the same problem, I was tempted to strip down a simple cms but there were some fundamental design changes I wanted in the core that I haven't seen in any of them, the closest was radicore but it would still need re-engineering for my purposes.

So what I've done is scanned through code and docs for typo3, radicore, xaraya, even eclipse to learn how they've solved problems so I can avoid re-inventing every wheel. I don't mind all the coding and testing, it's helpful to know your system from the ground up if you're going to maintain it in production and extend it in the future, but it's a darn heavy workload.

You could have a look through sourceforge for a simple cms or collaboration app with all those elements you require and see if there's one you can strip to the chassis then extend as required.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,163 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

unless you want to start looking at a J2EE web app, you might have better luck getting some pre-written EJB's for the generic areas (login, DB, etc)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 779 ✭✭✭homeOwner

I dont think such a thing exists - i am in the same situation as you, just started developing a website in php and had to do everything from scratch.

The best I could do was google free php scripts and there are a ton of them out there. You'll find all the necessary code to manage users, registration, payments, etc.....As long as you are a proficient programmer in some language you'll be able to modify free php scripts and tailor them to your own needs.

Also posting on boards has come up with some really good leads.

BTW if you do happen across a frameworky thing that does all this, can you post back and let us know.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

I still haven't looked into it myself yet, but would ruby on rails have all this kind of stuff in it ?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 8,950 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

ASP.NET 2 has all of that built in but then I don't think you want to use .Net so...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kdouglas

perhaps try something like cakephp?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,074 ✭✭✭muckwarrior

If you're willing to use .NET then DotNetNuke sounds exactly like what your lookin for. It has built in modules for generic stuff like Login, Polls, Ad Management etc.

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

Doesn't PEAR have a lot of that stuff?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 779 ✭✭✭homeOwner

Can you tell us what PEAR is? just a one liner so we get the jist.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,508 ✭✭✭daymobrew

homeOwner wrote:
    Can you tell us what PEAR is? just a one liner so we get the jist.
    PEAR is a framework and distribution system for reusable PHP components.

Longer version...
    What is PEAR?

PEAR is short for "PHP Extension and Application Repository" and is pronounced just like the fruit. The purpose of PEAR is to provide:

* A structured library of open-sourced code for PHP users
    * A system for code distribution and package maintenance
    * A standard style for code written in PHP
    * The PHP Extension Community Library (PECL)
    * A web site, mailing lists and download mirrors to support the PHP/PEAR community

• Closed Accounts Posts: 569 ✭✭✭Ice_Box

Oracle ADF with Jdeveloper looks very powerfull but I dont know much about it.

Thanks guys, some of these look interesting.
    .NET is a no-no for me!
    But the two PHP ones are worth a look....commence investigation!

Thanks,
    Jab

democrates wrote:

Very good article. Have spent a bit of time looking into zoop and seagull in particular.

Based on my experience with each, I have decided not to bother with a framework. They are all to early in their life to give me confidence. I had a bag of teething problems with each and both are severely lacking in documentation.

Its a pitty really, but hey!

Now I need to find a reasonable hosting company that has JSP/Servlet support. Any suggestions!?!?!

Thanks for all the help,
    Jab

jabaroon wrote:
    Very good article. Have spent a bit of time looking into zoop and seagull in particular.

Based on my experience with each, I have decided not to bother with a framework. They are all to early in their life to give me confidence. I had a bag of teething problems with each and both are severely lacking in documentation.

Its a pitty really, but hey!

Now I need to find a reasonable hosting company that has JSP/Servlet support. Any suggestions!?!?!

Thanks for all the help,
    Jab
    The webmaster forum is the ideal place for that question, I haven't paid attention to that aspect of hosting packages as I focus on lamp.

And yeah, still early days for frameworks really, will be good when they get their act together.

Advertisement