Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wireless gaming router.

Options
  • 29-06-2006 9:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭

IS this the right place to ask about routers?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

The Wireless sub-forum may be more appropriate.
    Fire away. It'll be moved at a mod's discretion.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭Static M.e.

Sure, this is a lovely spot to ask about Routers ! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 884 ✭✭✭NutJob

Cable it wireless can be flakey with games.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭christophicus

O yeah i know wireless is fairly bad for games but i was looking at a router on Komplett that has a new Wireless technology ( i think anyway )

hey take a look and see what you think of it
    http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.asp?sku=320456

Buy the way which companies would you recomend as making the best products???

• Registered Users Posts: 26,581 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

linksys and dlink make great routers.

tbh unless you're going to buy Wireless-N (draft 802.11n) cards with that router you ain't going to have much fun wireless gaming.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

~€117 for a 802.11n card from them too... ouch.

OOoooww i didnt look at the price of wireless n cards lol i dont thinki will be getting that. But if i did get that router and card would the wireless signal be constant and strong enough for wireless gaming?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭Static M.e.

In theory yes its fine. But in reality it blows, constant although im not 100% sure why.

Unfortunatly I have to move to wireless gaming aswell soon, in the next week so I can tell you a whole lot more then :)

Ok cool that would be great .

• Registered Users Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭irlrobins

I use a wireless connection to play games (11mbps connection to router). I play Bf2 over it with no probs. As long as you get a decent signal for hte most part you wouldn't experience any probs. But if your signal is weak and prone to dropping connections then you might experience some problems.

• Advertisement

Is your signal going through a wall or the ceiling by any chance because mine will be going through a wall and ceiling.

Router is on desk in study, shielded by a large filing cabinet. My room is across the landing from study. So signal effectively has to pass thru metal cabinet, study wall and my room wall, going by direct line from router to antenna on my PC.

House was build 1940's so walls are not of plasterboard constuction like in modern houses.

Hmm interesting thanks. What router are you using if you dont mind me asking?

I could never reveal that sort of info to a stranger on the internet! How dare you!

(Linksys WRT54G) ;)

Cool ,thanks , And would it be one of the best routers going at the moment?

It's well thought of. It's reliable and easy to use/configure. Regular updates to firmware. You can also load it with third party firmware that allow you to do more than the official ones (boost transmit power, etc). There is a version 5 of it though that no longer allows you to do this, but they also have the WRT54GL which still allows third party firmware.

But for most users the official firmware is all they need. I use it and I have no problems.

More info here

Advertisement