Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Is The Hot Hatch Dead?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

Robbo wrote:
    I really don't understand this county's obsession with Hondas for the most part (

you think the honda's popularity amoung "boy racers" is unique to ireland?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

Robbo wrote:
    I really should have put on my asbestos suit before posting that one all right but I really don't understand this county's obsession with Hondas for the most part (although I will concede that Type Rs are very, very good).

Well i can agree with a lot of what you are saying there. The vtec engines are very good, burn a bit of oil but when you are revving to 8-9 thousand revs that's going to happen.

Another euro hot hatch, whats that front wheel drive alfa 147 with 255bhp. That would be a fast mover

R32 golfs aslo very good

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

The teg isn't a hot hatch its a coupe, I may concede on the Civic Type-R but the only reason they handle well is because most of them come into the country on coilovers.

Stalet Gt/Glanza is the biggest piece of sh1t ever.

I like the 147 alright, nice styling too.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

peasant wrote:
    In an old tinny hot hatch you can feel "fast" while staying in or around the speed limit ...in a modern tank you are so far removed from things that you need to go a lot faster than the speed limit to actually get the sensation of "fast"
    Nail on the head, in a big way. I noticed after I got my teg type r. No soundproofing and lightweight, means that you're very aware of your speed and drive slower strangely enough. You can feel the road better(similar to the early Gtis/Mini cooper etc). Far more fun in the bends at a slower speed than you would think. It's obviously very capable of higher speeds, but 80Mph in the thing and you would go deaf quick enough. 60Mph actually feels how fast it actually is. People are so removed from the road now, they think they're going at a "safe" speed(try 60 downhill on a pushbike and see how safe you feel:D ). Safe speed indeed, when any smack above 40Mph is quite likely to get you hurt, airbags or no). Who would have thunk it, a type R. The damn thing will probably save my licence/life.:D
    colm_mcm wrote:
    I love the idea of the 106 Rallye, fair enough it's only 8 valve, but the weight saved compared to the GTI makes it prettty close.
    Back to basics 80's style driving, no ABS, no leccie windows, not even alloys. but massive fun!
    One of the best handling FWD cars ever. No arguments. I'm always surprised they don't make it to the top of the lists of best cars. Makes something like the cupra r feel like the barge it is(flames ahoy)
    Robbo wrote:
    I really should have put on my asbestos suit before posting that one all right but I really don't understand this county's obsession with Hondas for the most part (although I will concede that Type Rs are very, very good).
    Glad you put in the bit about type R's or there would have been trouble bucko...:D I do get your point though.
    mloc123 wrote:
    The teg isn't a hot hatch its a coupe, I may concede on the Civic Type-R but the only reason they handle well is because most of them come into the country on coilovers.
    Bang on the money about the teg. I would have to disagree with you on the Civic though, I would suggest they handle worse on the coilovers, especially on our uneven road surfaces. On a track I'll conced the point.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭prospect

• Advertisement

prospect wrote:

decent in fairness

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Vegeta wrote:
    decent in fairness

Torque steer central. I've driven one and it's terrible. Chassis cannot cope with the power.

Lovely engine though.

Torque steer central. I've driven one and it's terrible. Chassis cannot cope with the power.

Lovely engine though.

ah bollox anyway another car that seems amazin on paper ruined for ever. still the stlying is always lovely on the alfas

My bro is putting an accord type R engine into an integra, hoping to get about 280bhp out of her. That will be interesting to say the least.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,455 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

I always liked Bravo HGT's. v.nice engine

• Registered Users Posts: 51,243 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Is the now dead Clio V6 considered a hot hatch?

• Advertisement

I would say yes for sure, new v6 is rumored using the 350Z engine apparantly.

mloc123 wrote:

I thought they killed the project as it was never profitable?

I dunno, it was all rumours anyway so it could be cancelled now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,423 ✭✭✭pburns

Hot hatch?

I'd rather have a 'hot saloon' in the spirit of the old Peugeot 405 Mi16. Even the fast Nissan Primera of that era handled really well.

Problem with a 206/207 GTI is that it'll look exactly the same as some chaved up, platinum blonde hairdressers car. Same with Focus ST. Only one I'd consider would be the Golf GTI. Just couldn't bring myself to spend 30 grand or more on a bloody 207 or Focus.

Also, I think the time is right for a Golf GTDi or suchlike. Golf GTDs were sold in Germany years ago, I think, dunno if such a designation is still on sale in Krautland...

There was a mk4 gt tdi golf.

I think the Golf MkIV GT TDi was sold in the UK. It was available in 130bhp and 150bhp afaik.

I don't think it was ever sold offically in Ireland. The 150bhp TDi was sold as a Highline spec model here alright. Very quick car.

The old Seat Leon was also sold with the same 150bhp TDi engine and the Cupra R body kit.

Nobody mentioned the Skoda Octavia vRS as a hot hatch. 1.8 T litre 180bhp and relatively cheap when new, a bargin second hand with it's understated looks.

bazz26 wrote:
    I think the Golf MkIV GT TDi was sold in the UK. It was available in 130bhp and 150bhp afaik.
    I don't think it was ever sold offically in Ireland. The 150bhp TDi was sold as a Highline spec model here alright. Very quick car

So why don't they market a high-powered diesel in GT/GTi garb? It'd be an interesting addition to the range. Just thing VW are missing an opportunity here...

Mind you, the heavier diesel engine would probably effect handling (?)

• Registered Users Posts: 707 ✭✭✭d4r3n

ando wrote:
    I noticed no one said Leon Cupra R :rolleyes:

I know of a guy who recently moved from a 106 Rallye to a Leon Cupra R, according to him theres no comparison, the Seat handle's like a big piece of poo
    mloc123 wrote:

They're not making a new Clio V6, and the 350Z engine is French, out of a Renault Vel Satis!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,660 ✭✭✭maidhc

pburns wrote:
    So why don't they market a high-powered diesel in GT/GTi garb? It'd be an interesting addition to the range. Just thing VW are missing an opportunity here...

There will be a 170bhp 2.0 joining the range soon I assume.

pburns wrote:

Mind you, the heavier diesel engine would probably effect handling (?)

The UK GT TDi was the same as the GTi, recarro seats etc... People in Ireland have no interest in high spec powered cars it seems :rolleyes:

All the TDi's used the same engines, only difference afaik was the turbo and mapping. Most of the lower spec TDi's could be remapped very easily.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,660 ✭✭✭maidhc

mloc123 wrote:
    All the TDi's used the same engines, only difference afaik was the turbo and mapping. Most of the lower spec TDi's could be remapped very easily.

They had different injectors too methinks.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,455 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

bazz26 wrote:

Nobody mentioned the Skoda Octavia vRS as a hot hatch. 1.8 T litre 180bhp and relatively cheap when new, a bargin second hand with it's understated looks.

It's technically a hot hatchback, but then so is an Integra Type R etc.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

This thread is ridiculous. Watch this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eWIOebDK9hE&search=civic%20type%20r and try to tell me Hot Hatches are dead.

I have a 2002 civic type r. Anyone that thinks they handle like poo, give me a call and I will bring you for a spin and I guarantee you'll change your mind. It's the best handeling can I've ever driven. Here and here are some good reviews.
    I've been round mondello in mine and was faster than everything in my class.

I don't think the Golf GTi should really be called a Hot Hatch. Its like a leather armchair with a turbo. Its pretty quick, but it can't decide whether to be a luxury or a performace car. Perfect if you want a smooth comfortable drive with a bit of poke I suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,084 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

thats correct re the mkiv (which i have myself) but the mkv handles very well

Zascar wrote:
    This thread is ridiculous. Watch this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eWIOebDK9hE&search=civic%20type%20r and try to tell me Hot Hatches are dead.

I have a 2002 civic type r. Anyone that thinks they handle like poo, give me a call and I will bring you for a spin and I guarantee you'll change your mind. It's the best handeling can I've ever driven. Here and here are some good reviews.
    I've been round mondello in mine and was faster than everything in my class.

I don't think the Golf GTi should really be called a Hot Hatch. Its like a leather armchair with a turbo. Its pretty quick, but it can't decide whether to be a luxury or a performace car. Perfect if you want a smooth comfortable drive with a bit of poke I suppose.

Great video, he fairly threw them around the track. Did you do a group day at mondello or go by yourself? Whats the price for a track day/half day?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭Sundy

Robbo wrote:
    I think as cars have become lardier, the true spirit of the hot hatch has fallen by the wayside. You can throw an original Mini Cooper S around whilst staying on the good side of the law and have a whale of a time whilst feeling that you're zipping around the place.

For something in the spirit of the original mk1 Golf GTI, you could always buy my car. (edit if the pimpage wasn't subtle enough:) )

Just what im looking for, but id say ur asking a bit much there for a 00 with that high of milage. i recently missed out on a similar one for €6000.

i currently drive a Corrado G60 a cool sports/hot hatch if there ever was one. Supercharged and still fairly easy to insure!

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭sneakyST

pburns wrote:
    Hot hatch?

Problem with a 206/207 GTI is that it'll look exactly the same as some chaved up, platinum blonde hairdressers car. Same with Focus ST. Only one I'd consider would be the Golf GTI. Just couldn't bring myself to spend 30 grand or more on a bloody 207 or Focus.

You obviously have never driven/seen/heard an ST on the road then...:rolleyes:

sneakyST wrote:
    You obviously have never driven/seen/heard an ST on the road then...:rolleyes:

If I saw one I'd recognise it as an ST.

What I'm saying is that to the vast majority of people who aren't overly clued in about cars (or interested), it'll just look like a tarted up, boy-racer, 1.4 Focus with big rims and a big exhaust. If that kinda thing doesn't matter to you & you simply enjoy driving the thing that's not gonna much difference.

I'm not a fan of VWs, but personally, I think it's the only car of this type with the image to pull off the hot hatch thing without looking chavtastic. And by accounts I've read, the MkV handles really well. That's just my opinion, call it prejudiced or skewed if you like...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,248 ✭✭✭Plug

A new golf GTI next year with 228HP, 2 litre and I read about a golf R36, with 280-300HP:eek: If they're not hot hatchs I don't know what is. http://news.my-install.com/news/772/

• Advertisement

Plug wrote:
    A new golf GTI next year with 228HP, 2 litre and I read about a golf R36, with 280-300HP:eek: If they're not hot hatchs I don't know what is. http://news.my-install.com/news/772/

It will be interesting to see how a front wheel drive car handles 228bhp. Lots of torque steer my guess. Most front wheel drive cars with over 200bhp suffer from this.

Advertisement