Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Unmarked 99D car with siren in bus lane - claiming to be Garda

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,466 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Duckjob wrote:
    Would you not see a garda comming swiftly up behind you with lights and siren blaring and motioning you to move over as a "signal", which would override the red light? And is he not, by his presence there, with lights and siren and blaring, "controlling" the traffic at the junction ?
    But this is just it, they often don't.

More often than not, at least when I've come across the kind of thing described by the OP, they remain pretty much in 'stealth mode', dawdling along no faster than the rest of the surrounding traffic and only give a short blast of the blues and twos when they try and barge in from the buslane, or push through at a roundabout or junction and someone (rightly) refuses. After they're subsequently let through, they then proceed to again just go with the flow, and travel no faster than everyone else, so any suggestion that they're on some kind of emergency mission is clearly nonsense.

You've no way of telling (apart from the lack of hubcaps and the generally dishevelled look of both the car and it's occupants) whether it's an unmarked Garda car or just some random bollix chancing it, right up until the moment they switch on the siren, so why they get so uptight and arrogant about it, wildly waving their id at you is beyond me.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,918 ✭✭✭Steffano2002

The Gardai are responsible for enforcing road traffic law and all signals given by them must be obeyed. Where a Garda is controlling traffic, his signals, override all traffic signals.
    Pretty clear to me also...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭Spitfire666

not all cars come without hubcaps now. some even have alloys.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,142 ✭✭✭TempestSabre

Wait till you have to claim against one thats destroyed your car. Then the fun begins.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Why do people moan about garda cars in bus lanes but are fine with taxis using them? is it because they are able to use the bus lanes to get places quicker when in a taxi?

Its a different rant but i think only busses and emergency vehcles shoud be allowed in bus lanes. tbh if i had my way thered be no bus lanes just extra car lanes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,142 ✭✭✭TempestSabre

Stekelly wrote:
    Why do people moan about garda cars in bus lanes but are fine with taxis using them? is it because they are able to use the bus lanes to get places quicker when in a taxi?

Yeah that puzzles me too. Let them all use it. What difference does it make. Motorcycles and scooters too.
    Stekelly wrote:
    Its a different rant but i think only busses and emergency vehcles shoud be allowed in bus lanes. tbh if i had my way thered be no bus lanes just extra car lanes.

They'd sit empty most of the time then.

As for extra car lanes, volume always rises to meet the capacity. Or so we are told.

Stekelly wrote:

Sorry but bus lanes are for taxis also no? They're part of that whole "public transportation" family right? Gards aren't though...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

This is 4 pages. I like sleep so I've only read the 1st.

1) You must legally comply with all directions from a Garda. Regardless

2)Saw something similar (not in a bus lane) last week. Navy Mondeo. No beacon just a siren and flashing headlights (give-away that it is a Garda)

3) You are not legally obliged to pull in for an ambulance, just a Garda and Fire Engine with Sirens on

4) The rules of the road (with few exceptions) do NOT apply to on duty Gardaí

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

OP back again - Just to answer the question of whether I would let buses or taxis come in from the bus lane, the answer is gladly yes.

Those interested in the side issue of risk involved in pulling out to give way to an emergency vehicle might like the check the recent reports of the minor accident involving the Taoiseach's car which was caused by a driver pulling out of the way of an emergency vehicle.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,051 ✭✭✭✭event

RainyDay wrote:
    OP back again - Just to answer the question of whether I would let buses or taxis come in from the bus lane, the answer is gladly yes.

Those interested in the side issue of risk involved in pulling out to give way to an emergency vehicle might like the check the recent reports of the minor accident involving the Taoiseach's car which was caused by a driver pulling out of the way of an emergency vehicle.

and was that man prosecuted?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,601 ✭✭✭Kali

RainyDay wrote:
    I had a little disagreement with a middle-aged gent driving an unmarked 99D black Toyota Camry 2.2 along the bus lane on the N4, between Chapelizod & Palmerstown. He was driving in the bus lane and I refused to let him in to my lane. We wound down windows & he sounded a siren for couple of seconds and told me it was a Garda car and he was entitled to use the bus lane. He told me that I was lucky to get away with a warning. I was too flustered to think of asking him for ID. I did take his reg number, and say him dissappearing off into the distance of the next bus lane.

Just noticed this thread now.. yes its a garda car, I've got points for speeding on the N4 off the very same car in the past (the car is fitted with front siren/lights)... pulled me over just opposite woodies.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,127 ✭✭✭Sesshoumaru

Are you a Learner driver Sesshoumaru?

Why are you asking me that question? Are you a learner driver? Am I such a bad citizen in your eyes because I don't feel like breaking red lights? As I already said earlier I would attempt to move to the side and let ANY emergency vehicle through. But knowing how unobservant Irish drivers are I would be very hesitant to break a red light at a junction. Some people have tunnel vision and practically drive their cars on autopilot.

And yes I do have a full car licence for over 8 years now and I have a IAM certificate as well. I also have a full motorcycle licence.

Why are you asking me that question? Are you a learner driver? Am I such a bad citizen in your eyes because I don't feel like breaking red lights? As I already said earlier I would attempt to move to the side and let ANY emergency vehicle through. But knowing how unobservant Irish drivers are I would be very hesitant to break a red light at a junction. Some people have tunnel vision and practically drive their cars on autopilot.

And yes I do have a full car licence for over 8 years now and I have a IAM certificate as well. I also have a full motorcycle licence.
    I was just asking because you made it sound like you couldn't move away at a red light (to let an emergency vehicle through) without causing an accident so I thought you were just a pretty poor driver... But you have a Full Driver's License (good man!) and you said that you "would attempt to move to the side and let ANY emergency vehicle through" so that's ok! ;)

Duckjob wrote:
    I'd would have though you would be legally covered under this:

http://www.irishmotoring.ie/car/rulesoftheroad/road_users_and_the_gardai.php

Would you not see a garda comming swiftly up behind you with lights and siren blaring and motioning you to move over as a "signal", which would override the red light? And is he not, by his presence there, with lights and siren and blaring, "controlling" the traffic at the junction ?

"Where a Garda is controlling traffic, his signals, override all traffic signals."

In fairness blaring sirens and various hand gestures in your direction to get the f*ck out of his way doesn't count as "controlling traffic" in my book. In principle I don't object to breaking a red light to let any emergency vehicle past. I just don't think you have any legal protection if something happens.

(...) I just don't think you have any legal protection if something happens.
    Very valid point. I wonder what would happen insurance-wise if you caused an accident as a result of letting an emergency vehicle through... Insurance would probably turn around and say "Hard luck mate" :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 16,051 ✭✭✭✭event

"Where a Garda is controlling traffic, his signals, override all traffic signals."

In fairness blaring sirens and various hand gestures in your direction to get the f*ck out of his way doesn't count as "controlling traffic" in my book. In principle I don't object to breaking a red light to let any emergency vehicle past. I just don't think you have any legal protection if something happens.

doesnt have to be by your book, it is by the laws book

A garda can more or less tell you to do whatever he likes when it comes to traffic matters. whether he/she is standing at a junction for 4 hours or just passing through, if you are directed to stop/move and you dont, its "failure to comply with the direction of a member of an garda siochana in action of his duties" and you can get done for it. If you are directed to move and there is an accident then its notdown to you because you were following a legal direction.

A garda can more or less tell you to do whatever he likes when it comes to traffic matters. whether he/she is standing at a junction for 4 hours or just passing through, if you are directed to stop/move and you dont, its "failure to comply with the direction of a member of an garda siochana in action of his duties" and you can get done for it. If you are directed to move and there is an accident then its not down to you because you were following a legal direction.
    And insurances understand that? Hmmm... I'm not so sure myself...

Oh but I'm sure the Gardai in question will come to your defence........ :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 536 ✭✭✭babybundy

they are a law on to themselves

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭vasch_ro

I think we have established that the camry was indeed a Garda car, also as someone lese mentioned , The Gardai do have a fondness for 2.2 camry's and there is a lot of them about.
    People are correct to suppose that there are some bad Garda driver's out there
    I will be the first to admit that , some of my own colleagues are known for poor driving and a fondness for Blue lights and sirens. Many of these drivers are relatively young people who have not done the Garda standard driving course, so they go from driving their ordinary cars, to a car with a 2 litre engine in a pressurised situation.
    I myself have completed the course (having failed it first time around) and i always try to set an example while driving ( and indeed parking:) ) , it is very hard to drive at high speed with blue lights on and sirens as there are lireally so many hazards to look out for and people often do not know how to react when they see the Garda car behind them, (sometimes despite the sirens and lights they don't see it :) )
    I also bare in mind the fact that a lot of my colleagues have met their end while speeding to calls that turned out to be False alarms or accidental panic alarm activations, if people are depending on you it is better to arrive a few seconds later , than not arrive at all, and some one lese mentioned innocnet bystanders have been killed as well, so I guess thats the view from the other side of the fence:)

vasch_ro wrote:
    I think we have established that the camry was indeed a Garda car, also as someone lese mentioned , The Gardai do have a fondness for 2.2 camry's and there is a lot of them about.
    People are correct to suppose that there are some bad Garda driver's out there
    I will be the first to admit that , some of my own colleagues are known for poor driving and a fondness for Blue lights and sirens. Many of these drivers are relatively young people who have not done the Garda standard driving course, so they go from driving their ordinary cars, to a car with a 2 litre engine in a pressurised situation.
    I myself have completed the course (having failed it first time around) and i always try to set an example while driving ( and indeed parking:) ) , it is very hard to drive at high speed with blue lights on and sirens as there are lireally so many hazards to look out for and people often do not know how to react when they see the Garda car behind them, (sometimes despite the sirens and lights they don't see it :) )
    I also bare in mind the fact that a lot of my colleagues have met their end while speeding to calls that turned out to be False alarms or accidental panic alarm activations, if people are depending on you it is better to arrive a few seconds later , than not arrive at all, and some one lese mentioned innocnet bystanders have been killed as well, so I guess thats the view from the other side of the fence:)
    Ballsy to admit you're a Gard on boards.ie, especially on this thread! Fair play to you. I, for one, respect you for that! ;)

I don't think all Gards are crazy boy racers but a few bad apples have given people in your profession a bad name unfortunately... Especially in Dublin!

Anyway, keep up the good work (and good driving!) and good luck! ;)

Now about this speeding ticket... :p

hes not the only garda around boards. ;)
    Its nothing to be ashamed of.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 536 ✭✭✭babybundy

there's only one bad thing about us knowing your a gaurd is we will turn to you clarification

hes not the only garda around boards. ;)
    Its nothing to be ashamed of.
    Thought you might be one yourself actually... Or related to one...?

Thought you might be one yourself actually... Or related to one...?

Well its not something i've tried to hide. i dont mind people knowing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭Bogger77

There's been posts by at least 3 or 4 garda in this thread.

and I'm not one.

Well its not something i've tried to hide. i dont mind people knowing.
    Well, I'm not a Gard and I'm not afraid to admit it either! :p

Sorry it's late and I'm tired...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭G Luxel

Having read this thread from start to finish, I d like to add a few points here.

Not every unmarked car is a D regd. I know of a particular unmarked car with
    the three aerials with a reg number, although not giving it out, as say 00 LM 97546, yes thats right a county with 5 digits. thats right FIVE.

Secondlly Cork County Council have a multi storey car park for the sole use of their employees, so thats the tax payer paying for their parking.

3rd, its not always an emergency that guards are attending. I remember a Camry speeding and sirening through 4 mile long traffic at peak hour with a diplomatic car. Everyone had to pull in while stuck in traffic for hours and let this VIP get through town.

ive noticed on a few occasions a certain patrol car park on double yellow lines in a busy street and the officers entering a deli counter and chat for a few minutes and then leave with a lot of breadrolls and coffee. I think this is sending out a wrong message to those of us who dont break the law that its ok for them to do so for leisure activities............

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭Thorbar

The Guards are very fond of 2.2 camrys - I don't know who else would buy them in the country. the guy should have shown his id. Report it anyway just in case.

Perhaps it was Michael O'Leary after getting fed up with the taxi con.

Hey I drove a camry 2.2 for years and I loved the yoke. It brought it 4.5k kilometers around Europe without a complaint and that was on a dodgy battery and one oil refill. The thing was a beast.

Sadly I now drive a Yaris and I have no self respect.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement