Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Unmarked 99D car with siren in bus lane - claiming to be Garda

Options
123457»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

as regards the parking on food pick ups, look at it this way, if they park on lines, the get in and out quicker, meaning they are back on patrol quicker meaning more chance to keep whingers happy.
    You need to bring the downside of parking on double-yellows into the arguement too, e.g. bad example to other motorists, safety risk to other traffic (particularly cyclists), delays to other traffic.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,142 ✭✭✭TempestSabre

I've had a couple of experiences not unlike overdriver's. Pity.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 208 ✭✭scottledeuce

overdriver wrote:

Siren on, and the passenger says " Get up there" indicating the pavement, so up I go, and the two twa ts got out, shouting and roaring, saying they'll arrest me for " Telling a guard to f*ck off".

I tried telling them I didn't know they were gardai, and he says " That makes it alright then?". Before I could answer the other one is in my face shouting at me, asking questions. Then they swappped, all the time without letting me say anything.

Yea if you ask me all they want is a chance to show people whos boss, either that or it their T.O.M

• Registered Users Posts: 20,994 ✭✭✭✭Stark

I've had a couple of experiences not unlike overdriver's. Pity.

Aye, same here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,173 ✭✭✭overdriver

..and they wonder why public perception of them is so poor, so cynical.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,142 ✭✭✭TempestSabre

overdriver wrote:
    ..and they wonder why public perception of them is so poor, so cynical.

I think thats an important issue. They really need to address the poor public opinion of them, by being more professional. No question its a hard job.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭deputydugs

john_g83 wrote:
    Along similar lines to what has been posted already....
    I was pulling out of the estate where I live a couple of days ago when my phone rang. Being a conscientious citizen I pulled in and took the call. Business completed I continued on my way. Couple of mins later I see a squad car coming my way. Think to myself, "nice one john, might have saved yourself a couple of Penalty Points there". It was then that I noticed that the Garda was in the middle of rather animated phone call on his mobile while driving along.

Is it a case of one law for us and another for those who uphold the law? Surly it is their responsibility to set a good example...or is it do as I say and not as I do??

YES one law for you and one for us, We are exempt from that law, We can use a mobile phone while drving in the course of our duty. However is is not recomemded becasue people like you who think they do know the law bash us when they hav no idea. In fact all cars now have mobile phones in them!:eek:

As has been stated ad nauseum in this and other threads, the Gardai are exempt from most of the road traffic regulations while at work. Which part of the word "exempt" do you not understand? How can they "break traffic laws" if they are exempt from them?

Well said:cool:

nereid wrote:
    I wonder if this "excuse" would stand up to questioning by a said member of the force and or traffic warden if it were anybody else?

What do you mean you are giving me a parking ticket? But I only parked there so that I could get in and leave quicker. A garda told me it was okay. :rolleyes:

Any vehicle, garda/ambulance/private etc all are an obstruction when they are parked on yellow lines. The sooner Gardai realise that, the better. Why are your fresh cod n chips more important than for example the mother pushing the pram that has to go on the road around your ill placed vehicle.

And a slight point about mobile phone use. While you may be exempt from it, I don't think you are exempt from driving without due care and attention.

L.

And when you get the powers to do some1 for driving without due care and attention then You Do That:rolleyes: Becasue parking on a souble yellow line would not give casue for due care and attention and us on the phone would not either due to being exempt. Get the fact laddy

WORD "EXEMPT" Means just that, Stop b i t chin abt it!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭Preset No.3

Seen in the bus lane this morning on the Rock Road with blue lights in the dash and in the front window as well as strobes in the rear lights.....

A '06 Black BMW X5!!!!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,415 ✭✭✭Gatster

Last year (???) there was someone on here claiming to be a garda, ranting on about 'their' rights, powers, how they were doing us all a favour because, quite blatantly, the general public can't be trusted to look after themselves and obviously the Garda don't abuse their position. There were a few mumblings about reporting the thread to some authority (not that there is a Garda watchdog, God forbid), don't know what came of it?

You have a hard job (if indeed you are an actual Garda), however the nature of your posts don't exactly help the general perception (as already mentioned in this thread).

deputydugs wrote:
    And when you get the powers to do some1 for driving without due care and attention then You Do That:rolleyes: Becasue parking on a souble yellow line would not give casue for due care and attention and us on the phone would not either due to being exempt. Get the fact laddy

I shudder to think what your paperwork is like.

I was actually in doubt you were really garda til the last sentence. "Laddy"? That's Mr Macay from Porridge.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 Shaybo

RainyDay wrote:
    I had a little disagreement with a middle-aged gent driving an unmarked 99D black Toyota Camry 2.2 along the bus lane on the N4, between Chapelizod & Palmerstown.

Don't know the reg but I work near the Garda offices in Dublin Castle and they definitely have a black unmarked Camry. They have a couple of really crap looking unmarked cars up there including a blue Fiat Brava so I wouldn't be surprised if it was a 99 reg'd Camry.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,436 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

Gatster wrote:
    Last year (???) there was someone on here claiming to be a garda, ranting on about 'their' rights, powers, how they were doing us all a favour because, quite blatantly, the general public can't be trusted to look after themselves and obviously the Garda don't abuse their position. There were a few mumblings about reporting the thread to some authority (not that there is a Garda watchdog, God forbid), don't know what came of it?

You have a hard job (if indeed you are an actual Garda), however the nature of your posts don't exactly help the general perception (as already mentioned in this thread).

that's the problem..most of the cops are good guys..however there's always a few assholes wherever you work..and it's more magnified with the cops with the power that they have..saying that, they need to start working on their image..there should be an IA dept who police the police as they say...this way no cop will think they're above the law

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Shaybo wrote:
    Don't know the reg but I work near the Garda offices in Dublin Castle and they definitely have a black unmarked Camry.

Nothing unusual about that. Most of the Camrys in the state are Garda Vehicles!

Now that are reserves why dont ye join up and see for selevs and b i c h at work :mad: :eek: :p :rolleyes: :D :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,557 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

RainyDay wrote:
    I guess my options would include the Garda Complaints Board about his abuse of power, or a complaint to the Garda trafficwatch line about his abuse of the bus lane. I'd like to know where I stand legally beforehand.
    From the little I know of the guards, not every one of their unmarked cars is a high pursuit ve-he-cal. They use quite a few 'detail' cars for runaaround duties.

But a 2.2 Camry sounds like the typical garda-bus.

Garda vehicles, like all other state vehicles, only show a nil-rated tax-disc and no insurance or NCT discs.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,415 ✭✭✭Gatster

Now that are reserves why dont ye join up and see for selevs and b i c h at work
    Yes Yes. Some posters here are being sympathetic to your cause and you come back with this? So let me get this right, unlike most of your collegues(?), you are for the reserves?
    This is typical of the exchanges in the last post mentioned earlier, you chose your career, and now you expect sympathy from people? You must have known at least vaguely what you were getting into, you are not superior to anyone here because you chose the police as a career.

I'm surprised you could glean as much sense as you did from that sentence. this guy's posts make me wanna scratch out my eyes.
    He can hardly string a sentence together coherently. I doubt you are a garda at all, Deputy Dugs, honestly.
    If you are, the others here must clamp their hands to their heads every time you come out with something like this.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,999 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

deputydugs wrote:

Clearly now I see that all the allegations of Garda arrogance are unfounded.

[/sarcasm]

Dugs, there are lots of honest hardworking Gardai and I don't envy them their job one bit. But it only takes one powertripping ass to undo the good work of 100 decent Gardai. Coming onto a forum like this and saying 'I can do what I like, suck it up' isn't going to win you or your colleagues any fans.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,222 ✭✭✭\m/_(>_<)_\m/

deputydugs wrote:
    Now that are reserves why dont ye join up and see for selevs and b i c h at work :mad: :eek: :p :rolleyes: :D :cool:

did you finish school???

did you finish school???

afraid so, and went to college and have a degree, hence the reason why I make errors casue I type rather quick.

:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 162 ✭✭johnnycash

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

ancient thread resurrected needlessly

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement