Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dole for Irish people while job-hunting within EU

Options
  • 29-06-2006 11:17pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭

At the Fàs jobs fair in Cork recently I heard that you can claim the dole in another country if you've been working in Ireland before you go there! Apparently you can claim back your 'stamps' if you've built them up.(??)

I don't really get it myself but apparently an Irish resident (who's been working for past while) who's moved to another EU country to look for a job is eligible for some kind of social welfare while they're looking, even if they've never worked in that country. Anyway, if you think you qualify you can contact the 'eures officer' in your local Fas office to see if you qualify.

Here's the official eures site:

http://europa.eu.int/eures/home.jsp?lang=en

It sounds great! The EU rocks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,011 ✭✭✭joebhoy1916

Jean05 wrote:
    At the Fàs jobs fair in Cork recently I heard that you can claim the dole in another country if you've been working in Ireland before you go there! Apparently you can claim back your 'stamps' if you've built them up.(??)

I don't really get it myself but apparently an Irish resident (who's been working for past while) who's moved to another EU country to look for a job is eligible for some kind of social welfare while they're looking, even if they've never worked in that country. Anyway, if you think you qualify you can contact the 'eures officer' in your local Fas office to see if you qualify.

Here's the official eures site:

http://europa.eu.int/eures/home.jsp?lang=en

It sounds great! The EU rocks

Stamps isnt the dole! I think its kinda money you paid in tax you get it back when your unemployed!

You cant get dole while out of country.

I told them before I had to go to a funeral in England they asked me what dates it was from and they stopped my money for that time :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 619 ✭✭✭Afuera

Yes, you can get the dole if you're looking for work in another EU country. You have to be signed on in Ireland for at least a month before you can do this.

There's a form called an E303 which you need to request from the social welfare office in Ireland before you go. When you arrive in the EU country you want to work in, you present that form at a local social welfare office (or equivilant), and they register you with their system. It may involve signing up to other local authority agencies depending on the systems in place in the country you go to.

The dole you receive there comes from the Irish government so you should get the same amount as if you were back home. The maximum amount of time that you can receive this payment abroad is limited to three months.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭Jean05

Thanks for clearing that up Afuera. It's good to know!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 689 ✭✭✭esperanza

Stamps isnt the dole! I think its kinda money you paid in tax you get it back when your unemployed!

You cant get dole while out of country.

You are very entitled to get dole while out of the country and actively seeking employment in another EU Member State. I've done it myself and there was no hassle.
    I told them before I had to go to a funeral in England they asked me what dates it was from and they stopped my money for that time :mad:

OK. You should have said you were going for a job interview. That has always worked for me anyhow. Never be too honest with the social welfare, they'll never find out the real truth or not, and rarely ask for proof that you actually went for the interview!

Advertisement