Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Three month applic wait?????

Options
  • 29-06-2006 11:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,335 ✭✭✭

Taken from the "CJB" STICKY
    jaycee wrote:
    Quick question ..

Anyone know a cheap suppliers for "Pending" trays for applications ..?

They should be big enough to hold about 3 months worth..

(Peachy ain't it .... do nothing lads and they are all automatically refused )

:mad:

Em if after three months my licence application has been refused, by default or whatever reason, that means instead of sitting back, as much as possible before you lose your temper with the muppets who process it, i have to keep going down to my FAO to annoy the SH!TE out of the poor man so as to make sure i dont end up in court to get it granted!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

GOOD OLD MCDOWELL EH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:mad:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Pretty much Newby, but if you wait three months, going to the FAO is useless as it's already been deemed refused and you have to go to the District Court for an appeal. Of course, no worries, it'll cost nothing because you represent yourself against the Superintendent or Commissioner.

What was that about the client of a man who represents himself in court again?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,230 ✭✭✭spideog7

I was waitin 3 months for my shotgun licence...there was never an issue with it, I think it was just sittin in the "out" tray and nobody remebered to buy stamps :D
    didn't matter to me though coz the auld lad still had his licence on it ...so i had the gun :)
    (wasn't firin it mind ;):p )

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,843 ✭✭✭Clare gunner

What was that about the client of a man who represents himself in court again?[/QUOTE]

Coined no doubt by somone in the legal profession.:(
    OTOH if you repersent yourself ,the court is obliged to bend over backwards to assist you,as you are a layman unversed in the ways of the law.It is one thing a court hates to see is self repersentation and thats why they will try and push a solicitor on you.
    Guess how pouplar the Supers are going to be with the DC judges,with wastng court time with teed off shooters self repersenting themselves???

Guess how pouplar the Supers are going to be with the DC judges,with wastng court time with teed off shooters self repersenting themselves???
    More importantly for the health of our sport, guess how many newbies and experienced shooters when facing the prospect of waiting through three months of silence, then going to court against the local superintendent weeks or months later (don't forget, District Courts are busy places) to get their licences will decide that it's not worth it.

In effect, this will act as a filter that'll discourage the kind of person who'd never be a threat to public safety with a firearm, and encourage the kind of person most of us would rather not have a firearm to begin with :(

Also, don't forget, DCs can be scary places. This idea of representing yourself? Daft if you're mild-mannered. The DC is the A&E of the legal world. Everything goes through there from the drunk who flashed a garda car to the beginnings of murder cases. Us being in there isn't the greatest thing in the world to be honest.

And if you think about it, it gets worse. Apply for a licence. The super decides not to give you one. Now, if he makes his official decision inside three months, he is legally obliged to write and tells you why. But if he just waits three months, he doesn't have to. That's less work and less risk, so I don't think we'll see too many rejection letters from the superintendents that have poor attitudes towards legitimate firearms use right now!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 154 ✭✭cantona

What about the security implications in court?.Your case will be heard in front of all the scum, where your name, address, security set-up, firearm(s) details will all become public knowledge.In Camera applications, will I suspect be turned down as Justice must be seen.

• Advertisement

Very good point cantona. It's not likely these DC hearings would be in camera - with the exception of family matters, they usually aren't. There are no transcriptions kept, so at least people won't be able to read the details later, but still...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,843 ✭✭✭Clare gunner

RE DC hearings.
    It is actually up to a DC Judge if he wants to hear certain parts of a paticular case in Camera.However due as Sparks pointed out the A&E situation of DC's time constraints,etc it is rarely if ever done.BUT if this point has dawned on us re the crowd sitting in a DC.It surely will dawn[belatedly] on the supers that this isnt too good an idea for security either,and maybe this might work for us as well.
    But again by rights,we as mere civillians shouldnt be too concerned as how these lawmakers put this together.They ,in the Dail should have thought this through.Hasty law is bad law,to coin another legal phrase.We did try to tell them!!
    As for standing up and saying your piece,well IMHO if you belive in somthing,and you belive you have a "right" to it[No ,dont go off about the USA,2nd amendment etc,we know it is a "privilidge" to own a gun here,but I mean you belive in a fundamental right as a human being to keep and bear arms for lawful purposes],no mater what hurdles are put in your way ,you will find the courage not to be intimidated and to speak up for yourself.
    That's just me.I realise not everyone has the same outlook,but somtimes you have to stand and be counted and speak up.You cant leave it to "somone else"all the time.Personally I find having to deal with the DC either professionally or otherwise,a great form of free entertainment provided by the Irish State.
    It is a combination of a zoo,a circus,a battle of wits,of sometime the half witted,a travesty of the law somtimes ,and a pantomine all rolled into one.
    I would advise anyone to go and spend a free afternoon in their local DC ,it is an education of how this country works,and it will take some of the apprenhension of being in court away from you if you have never been there.
    You will come out with an education,belive me.

Advertisement