Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

'Special' models for Ireland

Options
  • 30-06-2006 12:37am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8

I've been trying to think of recent cars that are/were available here but not in Europe (okay lets say the UK - not sure of the Euro situation). Here's a start - (yes I know it's a completely pointless exercise but who cares?)

Toyota Avensis 1.6
    Opel Vectra 1.6
    Opel Corsa GSI 1.2 (that always gets a giggle)
    Ford Mondeo 1.8 110ps (scabby or what? The customer doesn't save on tax but the manufacturer gets to sell a cheaper car)
    Ford Focus 1.8 Dual Fuel (positive difference for a change)
    Nissan Primera 1.6 (?)
    That chevy/daewoo New-Biro/ Lacetti saloon 1.4 thing
    VW Bora 1.4
    Previous Opel Astra 1.2
    Hyundai XG250 ? Wasn't it 300 elsewhere?
    Mercedes CLK/SLK200 non-kompressor
    Mitsubishi Carisma 1.3

I'm sure there's more. In the worst value for money stakes, I seem to remember an Audi 80 from the early/mid nineties with a 70ps 1.6 - cost well over £20K too, I think...

Can you think of others?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 73,455 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Citroen C2 1.4 VTR

The cars you mention aren't available in the UK, but are available on other markets

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

Haha, its because people in Ireland love underpowered, smaller engined cars :D

Absolutely! our fantastic tax system helps too

• Registered Users Posts: 51,243 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

semi wrote:
    I've been trying to think of recent cars that are/were available here but not in Europe (okay lets say the UK - not sure of the Euro situation). Here's a start - (yes I know it's a completely pointless exercise but who cares?)

Toyota Avensis 1.6
    Opel Vectra 1.6
    Opel Corsa GSI 1.2 (that always gets a giggle)
    Ford Mondeo 1.8 110ps (scabby or what? The customer doesn't save on tax but the manufacturer gets to sell a cheaper car)
    Ford Focus 1.8 Dual Fuel (positive difference for a change)
    Nissan Primera 1.6 (?)
    That chevy/daewoo New-Biro/ Lacetti saloon 1.4 thing
    VW Bora 1.4
    Previous Opel Astra 1.2
    Hyundai XG250 ? Wasn't it 300 elsewhere?
    Mercedes CLK/SLK200 non-kompressor
    Mitsubishi Carisma 1.3

I'm sure there's more. In the worst value for money stakes, I seem to remember an Audi 80 from the early/mid nineties with a 70ps 1.6 - cost well over £20K too, I think...

Can you think of others?

BMW 316i - available again in Ireland with a 1.6 engine.
    Audi A4 1.6 - ancient 8 valve engine still available on a €40k plus car.
    VW Beetle 1.4 - Only available here afaik.
    Opel Astra 1.2 - 1998 - 2004 model had a 1.2 litre option.
    Nissan Primera 1.6
    Subaru Impreza 1.6

Most of these cars exist here because of VRT plus high road tax and insurance rather than choice. Manufactures have to sell what the market demands.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

semi wrote:
    Mitsubishi Carisma 1.3

This must be an absolute joke to drive?

• Advertisement

mloc123 wrote:

It's not too bad, not much heavier than a Lancer, and that 1.3 was fairly strong.
    no worse than an Octavia really

• Registered Users Posts: 906 ✭✭✭FuzzyWuzzyWazza

colm_mcm wrote:
    It's not too bad, not much heavier than a Lancer, and that 1.3 was fairly strong.
    no worse than an Octavia really

I presume you are talking about the 1.4 Octavia??

I presume you are talking about the 1.4 Octavia??

Of course!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

mloc123 wrote:

The Ford Cortina came in a 1.3 and it probably would have been a heavier car!

Back on tpoic - The Toyota Carina E 1.6 was only available here AFAIK.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

New BMW 316i - only available to the Irish market, mainly because they're so expensive and the A4 1.6 was slowly wiping out BMW's 3 series sales!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

"Special" models = VRT & motor tax friendly models. Blame our friends in the revenue.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭Matt Simis

bazz26 wrote:
    VW Beetle 1.4 - Only available here afaik.

I think that one is around the UK too, just undesirable and pointless in the UK market. Beetles weigh upwards of 80-100KG more than the equivilent Golf, unless the 1.4Engine itself is weightless, "underpowered" is an understatement.

Matt

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

Stephen wrote:
    "Special" models = VRT & motor tax friendly models. Blame our friends in the revenue.

True... ba5tards

Stephen wrote:

With friends like that.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 264 ✭✭Velocitee

I dont like these 'Special' models as I think manufacturers in the first place built them with larger engines/ better spec for a reason.

I mean if a 1.8 is the basic model for a car in Europe and Ireland's basic model is a 1.6, which is safer if you wanted to overtake someone? I.e. - wanted to be on the opposite side of the road for as least an amount of time as possible.What about if you were carrying a lot of weight up a hill?, etc.

A lot of cars have very advanced safety systems nowadays, bracing in doors, heavier for structural integrity, abs,multiple airbags etc. etc. (small cars in general have gotten a lot bigger, height wise and internally compared to older models for visibility, space and the reasons above)

I think if I wanted to get a model that was standard in Europe such as the 1.8 example model above, I should not have that much of a significant difference in insurance rates as cars now have gotten a lot bigger and it's unrealistic to expect a 1.6 to perform in a model as well as a 1.6 performed in the same model 10 years ago (which could be xx/xxx number of kilos lighter)

Also, I would much prefer paying tax according to the mpg my engine returns rather than the size of the engine. This would have a good effect for people with cars such as diesels (I dont have one - just making an example) which would have better power/torque in comparison to the weight of the car (as they were designed by manufacturers as standard in the first place)

The emphasis should be on safety and mpg/damage to the environment, not on engine size (engines have improved, a lot use less fuel then 5/10 years ago, diesels are no longer smoke spewing - etc.)

Just my two cents.

• Registered Users Posts: 707 ✭✭✭d4r3n

Mitsubishi Lancer 1.3
    Saxo VTR 1.4

• Registered Users Posts: 2,423 ✭✭✭pburns

What about the Isuzu Gemini & Aska in the late '80s, early '90's? Anyone remember these? The Trooper was (still is) sold in both Britain & Ireland, but not the cars.

These were quite popular in Ireland for a while. The Gemini 1.5 Diesel was a car ahead of it's time. The only other small diesel of the period was (I think) 205/AX/Charade - all much smaller cars. It had Citroen CX-style pods for lights/wipers etc . instead of a stalk. The Gemini was the first car i drove legally on the road actually.

The Aska was a Japanese Ascona (same platform I think). Bit old fashioned even at the time but the Turbo Diesel was pretty nippy I think...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,660 ✭✭✭maidhc

The carvan is pretty much an Irish thing. As is the 4x4 panel van.

remember the Land Cruiser VX crewcab conversion with the lowered boot floor, uniquely Irish

• Closed Accounts Posts: 944 ✭✭✭Big Balls

It's madness ! I'm after a 2003 M3 at the moment and there is NOT ONE example in Ireland that comes close to the spec of the ones in the UK!

Half leather? In a 100k coupe??? But sure isn't Ireland great.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,243 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Big Balls wrote:
    It's madness ! I'm after a 2003 M3 at the moment and there is NOT ONE example in Ireland that comes close to the spec of the ones in the UK!

Half leather? In a 100k coupe??? But sure isn't Ireland great.

Most of these are options on UK cars also but they cost less over there so UK customers are more likely to tick them on the options list. What we spend on putting the car on the road, the UK customer can spend it on options.

Advertisement