Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Alfa 147

Options
  • 30-06-2006 1:26am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,788 ✭✭✭

Looking at buying myself this car:

http://www.carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=421705

Alfa Romeo 147 1.6 T.Spark Lusso - 7950e

I've been searching the forum and can see the majority of people slating Alfa's however im not exactly put off by this as i've heard as much good things from owners as bad things. I've decided this is the car I want so don't want the usual Alfa debate that these threads usually descend into.

What I would like to know is do you think that is good value? Should I be looking to bring the price down, and by how much?

Also, it states it has a full alfa service history, at 63,000 miles what should I be looking for? What should I make sure has been done and if it hasn't what should I plan for and be prepared to spend a fortune on?

Would appreciate any advice on this as im not the greatest on this side of things, thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭Santa Claus

The 147 was introduced in 2001 and the early models tended to be the most problematic (same with the 156 when it was introduced in 1998).

My brother had a 2001 model and my sister had a 2002. He had problem with electric windows, factory fitted alarm and a few other small things whereas she had no problems with her 2002 model (maybe it was just bad luck but I've heard others telling similar tales of woe with 2001 models).
    Even though they were only small issues on the 2001 model, little repair jobs can still add up to a big outlay when it's not under warranty

As to what should have been done, as far as i know the timing belt & tensioners need changing sooner than the stated 70k so I'd be checking that has already been done (can be a few hundred euro to get done)!

As to price, are you trading in against ? If not, I'd be wanting it dropped to 7500 for cash

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭pbergin

As to what should have been done, as far as i know the timing belt & tensioners need changing sooner than the stated 70k so I'd be checking that has already been done (can be a few hundred euro to get done)!

Nice car, I had a 156 and loved it, the only problem I had in my 2 years of driving was 1 parking light blew once!!
    As Santa said (there's something I dont say too often), the timing belt needs to be changed every 32k miles, so it should be done once and will be due again at 72k, it isnt cheap, give Gerry Campbell in Ti autos a bell, he will give you a good idea of cost. If the belt hasnt been done up to now then get it done the day you buy it, seriously.
    The car comes with a 3 year warrenty, Alfa cover the first year and another insurance company covers the next 2 years. When I bought my Alfa it was 2 years old, I called Alfa to see has there been any warrenty work done on the car, I also phoned the insurance company to run a check on it. (I forget the name,Alfa will give it to you), both said nothing was claimed under warrenty on the car so I was happy it was a gooden...and it was.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 177 ✭✭Wing Walker

Traditionally, I've been sceptical (sp?) about French and Italian cars, re. electrics and what-not. However, since I'm having some small niggles with my own VW's electrics I've now come to the conclusion that all modern cars (probably with the exception of Lexus) have some sort of faults at some stage.

I don't know anything about owning one but I've always wanted one. Buy it is my gut reaction. It's a damn fine looking car and one that I'm sure you'll definitely enjoy driving.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

As has been mentioned by pbergin, you really need to talk to Gerry Campbell at TI. Only thing is, I think he's away on holidays until mid-July. Service is everything on those cars - have you driven it and checked the service history? When did it last have a cambelt? Where was it serviced?

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭SonOfPerdition

Looking at buying myself this car:

http://www.carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=421705

Alfa Romeo 147 1.6 T.Spark Lusso - 7950e

I've been searching the forum and can see the majority of people slating Alfa's however im not exactly put off by this as i've heard as much good things from owners as bad things. I've decided this is the car I want so don't want the usual Alfa debate that these threads usually descend into.

What I would like to know is do you think that is good value? Should I be looking to bring the price down, and by how much?

Also, it states it has a full alfa service history, at 63,000 miles what should I be looking for? What should I make sure has been done and if it hasn't what should I plan for and be prepared to spend a fortune on?

Would appreciate any advice on this as im not the greatest on this side of things, thanks.

http://forum.alfa156.net/forum/

about half way down is the 147 groups with a lot of knowledgeable people.

BTW, from the milage on that car its not far from having it's second timing belt due (assuming it had the first one replaced at 36K ..if not . .it needs to be done immediately). The owners guide says timing belt every 72K, proper alfa owners know its every 36K. changing timing belts on alfa's is expensive ..mine was over 800Euro** last time on my 156. So keep that in mind when negotiating price.

the 147 owneres will give you more advicem Mine is go for it, if not that particular car then an alfa, they are a great drivers car.

** .. just remembered that i had another job done at the same time . .i think the timing belt + variator, pullies, and labour was around 700 in a main dealer down in cork.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭matt cork

you may want to look at http://www.alfaowner.com/forum, a very, very knowledgable bunch

Advertisement