Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Why are Toyota's so popular in Ireland

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

css wrote:
    Ned78 you come across as a typical brain washed BMW driving muppet. I've three questions for you:

What BMW do you drive?

How much did it cost to buy new?

How much did your last service cost?

Technology? How much does a HUD or infra-red system cost as an option?

If you are going to spend the kind of money a new BMW will set you back, and want to call it a 'drivers car', why not buy an Evo or something that actually IS a drivers car?

I drive a MINI Cooper. The one I'm driving would be around 30 grand, but they depreciate the least in their category, and a praised in the Motor Trade for being the least depreciating car. Servicing for 5 years on a MINI is € 250. Servicing on a 3 Series for 5 years is €995.

HUD is about a grand. Less than SatNav on most cars. I'd pay it, I like gadgets.

And for the record, I'd really really feckin love an Evo. Really, an Evo, a Scooby. I'm not knocking any of those cars, the only thing this thread was about was trying to establish what about Toyota people found desireable, and presenting arguments to see what answers they came up with. A good old friendly debate. So far, I've been labelled a prick and a muppet for having an opinion of my own, just as valid as any of yours. Keep em coming boys! ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,857 ✭✭✭professore

5uspect wrote:
    If you love your car in the same way that you love your wife then there's something wrong! :D
    Most people buy a car as because they need one, not because they want one that makes them feel all fuzzy inside. The vast majority of car owners own a car out of purely utilitarian necessity. And for this Toyota are right on the money.QUOTE]

I disagree - many people will list their car, and motoring in general, as their main hobby.

Many male people under 25 you mean!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,573 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

The Integra is probably a little down on power ;)

Nobody will say a dyno is optimistic, as they've paid money to have their egos massaged! :D

Well the teg is bang on standard figures, I only rembered there is a cat back system on the teg so that is why its reading standard figures... i.e.

Drop due to being on Irish Fuel
    Then hike being due to cat back system on the car!!

All in all the cars that have been brought down to the RR in westward engineering have been bang on. The reason we all went down was for low powered cars and the lowest powered car was winner if you get what i mean?? So it wasn't to boost anyones ego's it was all friendly banter!! Even a few of the cars that were there were focus's mirages etc there was even an automatic civic with 58BHP!!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,573 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

ned78 wrote:
    I drive a MINI Cooper. The one I'm driving would be around 30 grand, but they depreciate the least in their category, and a praised in the Motor Trade for being the least depreciating car. Servicing for 5 years on a MINI is € 250. Servicing on a 3 Series for 5 years is €995.

HUD is about a grand. Less than SatNav on most cars. I'd pay it, I like gadgets.

And for the record, I'd really really feckin love an Evo. Really, an Evo, a Scooby. I'm not knocking any of those cars, the only thing this thread was about was trying to establish what about Toyota people found desireable, and presenting arguments to see what answers they came up with. A good old friendly debate. So far, I've been labelled a prick and a muppet for having an opinion of my own, just as valid as any of yours. Keep em coming boys! ;)

Sorry to jump in but how can servicing for 5 years be that price for those cars?? Are you not factoring in brakes etc???

• Registered Users Posts: 7,660 ✭✭✭maidhc

ned78 wrote:
    Servicing for 5 years on a MINI is € 250.

€50 a year? How? I can't service my own car with my labour for that.

• Advertisement

jonny24ie wrote:
    Sorry to jump in but how can servicing for 5 years be that price for those cars?? Are you not factoring in brakes etc???

It's called Service Inclusive. It's a package you buy.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

ned78 wrote:
    It's called Service Inclusive. It's a package you buy.

Do you have to pay for parts seperately to the prices you gave or are they included

Vegeta wrote:
    Do you have to pay for parts seperately to the prices you gave or are they included

Included!

• Registered Users Posts: 65,414 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

ned78 wrote:
    Servicing for 5 years on a MINI is € 250. Servicing on a 3 Series for 5 years is €995

Yes those service deals are pretty spectacular!

ned78 wrote:
    Included!

That's unreal

in fairness you shouldn't be needing more than basic parts in the first five years anyway but those prices are indeed very good.

How do you find the Mini, is that the supercharged one as 30K seems a bit pricey.

• Advertisement

I love the MINI, it's not Supercharged, it's a Cabrio with pretty much all the options, 18" Alloys, Official Body Kit, Heated Seats, Sat Nav, Bluetooth, Driving Lamps, Leather, Multifunction Steering Wheel, Cruise Control, etc, etc, etc.

It's 135 Bhp due to a MTH remap. Great fun. I'm had previously a Supercharged one, and I'll have the first of the new Turbos arriving in December. The handling is extraordinary. It's a big grown up go kart for the worlds biggest kid, ie, Me :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 653 ✭✭✭DukeDredd

Vegeta wrote:
    That's unreal

in fairness you shouldn't be needing more than basic parts in the first five years anyway but those prices are indeed very good.

How do you find the Mini, is that the supercharged one as 30K seems a bit pricey.

Ummm - not really that impressive. I mean he paid 30K fot a Mini. 30 GRAND!! The servicing should be free for feck sake! The blonde chick should also come as standard for the passenger seat. Although i'm sure you have one of those eh ned78? ;-)

DukeDredd wrote:
    Ummm - not really that impressive. I mean he paid 30K fot a Mini. 30 GRAND!! The servicing should be free for feck sake! The blonde chick should also come as standard for the passenger seat. Although i'm sure you have one of those eh ned78? ;-)

She complains a lot, but shes there :D

• Registered Users Posts: 653 ✭✭✭DukeDredd

ned78 wrote:
    She complains a lot, but shes there :D

He he - nice!:cool:

DukeDredd wrote:
    Ummm - not really that impressive. I mean he paid 30K fot a Mini. 30 GRAND!!

Yes it is impressive. And a mini cooper convertible is only a couple a grand more than a 207 convertible and you get a hell of a lot more car :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 387 ✭✭css

Ned whats the catch? Whats to stop a company putting up 100k a year on one?

The 'catch' is the mileage limit. 100000k there or the 5 years, whichever happens first. But if you do exceed the limit, you can upgarde to the 8 year package for a nominal fee which escapes me at the moment. And most companies do purchase Service Inclusive!

ned78 wrote:
    The 'catch' is the mileage limit. 100000k there or the 5 years, whichever happens first. But if you do exceed the limit, you can upgarde to the 8 year package for a nominal fee which escapes me at the moment. And most companies do purchase Service Inclusive!

i've never had the pleasure of buying a brand new car so i don't know bout any of these offers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 881 ✭✭✭Ernie Ball

Here's my Toyota. It doesn't have a heads-up display or night vision. It doesn't talk to me either. And the interior is plasticky. But I can assure you it is anything but boring: it's the purest driver's car I've ever been in.

IMG_3737.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 51,243 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

ned78 wrote:
    I'm really going to start a flame war now. IMHO, 75% of people who buy Toyotas just couldn't care what they're in. If it says '06 on the front, they're happy. Our car culture in Ireland is extremely primitive.

Equally you could also say that your average 1.6/1.8 BMW owner is more concerned about the badge on the back of the car and image that comes with it than the car itself. It probably gives the impression they have more money than they actually have otherwise they would have bought a proper one.

Personnally I'd rather have a mid or top range Toyota than a basic entry level BMW. As someone else said a Ferrari or Lambo is drivers cars, the likes of a 116i or 316i are not no matter even if it is rwd.

• Advertisement

Ernie Ball wrote:
    Here's my Toyota.

You've just got to love the Mister 2. Great set of wheels. That, and the Supra. My brother had a Supra, now there's a Toyota with soul. An evil, tormented soul from the fires of hell with Satan himself under the bonnet, but a soul none the less!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I can't belive this thread is 3 pages long so quickly.

Toyota Cars=Findus Frozen Foods=HP Printers.

Marketing, marketing, marketing + you know exactly what you are getting.

Mike.

fupping hell, there are 69 peeps on this board as I look!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Ernie Ball wrote:
    Here's my Toyota. It doesn't have a heads-up display or night vision. It doesn't talk to me either. And the interior is plasticky. But I can assure you it is anything but boring: it's the purest driver's car I've ever been in.

IMG_3737.jpg

Very nice pic. Ernie.

Your car doesn't have a roof I've noticed ;) , which means it's either weaker than a fhc structurally which limits handling or makes the chassis flex, or too heavy in an attempt to build in rigidity to compensate.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

mmm, like those MR2's, love those 3.0TT supras :D

Pity they're both discontinued.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 881 ✭✭✭Ernie Ball

Very nice pic. Ernie.

Your car doesn't have a roof I've noticed ;) , which means it's either weaker than a fhc structurally which limits handling or makes the chassis flex, or too heavy in an attempt to build in rigidity to compensate.

Nonsense. The car weighs under a tonne. I have added front and rear member braces (aluminium), front strut tower bar (rear strut tower bar coming this week) and a centre breast plate. All together, they might add 15 lbs to the parts they replaced. The chassis is now stiffer than most cars with roofs.

I also have a removable hard top, which adds further rigidity.

Sweet car and lovely pic, Ernie :)

This thread is about why Toyotas are popular in Ireland and as such, it is aimed at the mainstream models that sell well. So we are talking Yaris, Corolla and Avensis

Of all the cars I have ever driven (not as many as some posters here for sure but easily approaching a thousand different cars) in my 20 years of driving, I least enjoyed my two week stint with a current model Toyota Corolla 2.0 D4-D. The only positive thing with the Corolla I can report was that the aircon worked well although it was very noisy.

I'd rather drive a 1976 Renault 5 tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 7,660 ✭✭✭maidhc

unkel wrote:

Of all the cars I have ever driven (not as many as some posters here for sure but easily approaching a thousand different cars) in my 20 years of driving, I least enjoyed my two week stint with a current model Toyota Corolla 2.0 D4-D.

How come?

Was it a 90 or 116bhp one?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,765 ✭✭✭ds20prefecture

unkel wrote:
    I'd rather drive a 1976 Renault 5 tbh

WHo wouldn't :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 201 ✭✭damo605

Okay - A reason I have to love Toyota (from a number of years ago): Driving an E34 520i BMW (with 100k on the clock) in a bad road into town at 45mph (Wouldn't dare go any faster) and thinking to myself: this car is a bloody disaster, the suspension is absolutely fecked..... Except that: I had it up at the main dealer in Cork City (Silversprings) the day before and they checked it out, drove it, put it up on the ramp, etc. and in fairness they struck me as well competant, and said "Suspension in that car is perfect, nothing wrong so nothing we can do"....
    I was so sick of that car I had arranged to buy a 3 year older 1.3 Corolla Saloon, with nearly 200k miles on it, off a mate the same evening - 4 bald tyres, 1 shock *completely* gone and both rear anti-roll bar bushing kncackered.... Drove out the same road I had come in 30 minutes ago in the bmw and couldn't help thinking to meself how comfy the corolla was - Until I looked at the speedo: Was clocking 80mph :eek:
    The long and short of it is that Toyotas seem to be able to take the hammering our sh1te roads throw at them whereas many other cars fall apart.
    I know if I had to drive to Dublin in the morning and I had a choice of cars I would take a 15 year old Toyota before I would take a new BMW, Merc, Audi, Etc. as the Toyota is the only one definitely gauranteed to get there :cool:

• Advertisement

damo605 wrote:
    I know if I had to drive to Dublin in the morning and I had a choice of cars I would take a 15 year old Toyota before I would take a new BMW, Merc, Audi, Etc. as the Toyota is the only one definitely gauranteed to get there :cool:

The only reason I'm quoting you is for this to be recorded into the archives of boards.ie ;)

You should talk to a professional about your angst in relation to your anxiety about the reliability of modern cars. Do you understand why you have a problem?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement