Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Games and Unloading Quickly

Options
  • 30-06-2006 4:36am
    Registered Users Posts: 14,993 ✭✭✭✭

You know when your just finished playing a PC game and you go to quit it. Why is it that sometimes it's a real drain on the system and it takes a while for it to unload itself from memory, you can hear the drives being accessed, and you can't instantly go off and do something else. Oblivion is a good example of this.

FEAR and Brothers in Arms on the other hand, as soon as you hit the quit button, BAM, it's unloaded and your ready to go. It doesn't hog resources. Why is there such a difference, and why can't they all be like the latter two?

OK does the above make sense to anyone, do you get what I'm waffling about?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭madrab

wizards?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

It's mainly to do with the amount of memory in your PC. When the game is running it wants more memory than is available so lots of windows components get swapped out to disk, then when you exit the game they have to be loaded back into memory before you can do anything. I recently upgraded to 2gb and now oblivion exits almost straight away

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

That is anoying even when you have a gig of ram, even ore so when have to
    escape from the game then to the main menu and then the quit option and THEN
    it askes if you are really sure, ffs let me quit the game already.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,614 ✭✭✭BadCharlie

Yep ram is the prob as poster pointed out. I went back from having 2gigs of ram to 1gig. Some games now like BF2 when i have everything on is choppy this is down to ram. Before having 2gigs of the stuff i had no problems. I think the min anyone should have these days is a gig.

Advertisement