Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Germany v Argentina

• 30-06-2006 5:25am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,563 ✭✭✭

Clash of the Titans:

Germany (probable): Lehmann, Friedrich, Metzelder, Mertsacker, Lahm, Schneider, Frings, Ballack, Schweinsteiger, Podolski, Klose.

Argentina (probable): Abbondanzieri, Cufre, Ayala, Heinze, Sorin, Gonzalez, Mascherano, Riquelme, Rodriguez, Saviola, Crespo.

Referee: Lubos Michel (Slovakia)

Less than 11 hrs to go before these two heavyweights square off, and I can barely wait!

Brazil v France on Saturday features the last two World Cup winners, but this one is the battle of the previous two nations to win a World Cup. Both against each other too, so there's a lot of history to this one. Who can forget Maradona's weaping in Rome 16 years ago after the penalty that should never have been? Now's the chance for the Argentinians to avenge 16 years of hurt! Will Messi if he gets an opportunity come of age? Will Klose prove he can score against good opposition? So much to look forward to...

I have a feeling this will be the match of the tournament and is likely to go the distance with dreaded penalties being the deciding factor. Argentina have never lost a shootout in the World Cup but they did lose to Brazil on penalties in the Copa America final two years ago. Beating the Germans on penalties would be some feat.

Argentina are clearly the superior side on paper but Germany's home support could carry them through. I'd like to see Argentina win though as I've always dreamed of an Argentina Brazil final.

Germany will be in white just as they were when they last beat Argentina in 1990.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

I am looking forward to it and am backing the Germans to take it, gwan the Europeans!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

Ruu wrote:
    I am looking forward to it and am backing the Germans to take it, gwan the Europeans!
    Ya, I think the Germans will win it too. With them being in white & Argies in the changed strip, home support and all that, I think Germany will come through. A thrilling 0-0 or 1-0 to Germany.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,881 ✭✭✭bohsman

Would love to see a Brazil Argentina final, Im confident it will be a comfortable game for the Argies winning by 2 goals.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,937 ✭✭✭fade2black

Argentina will bring their A game today and win in normal time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

Not quite off-topic (more tangential ;) )

Anyone know of a good spot to watch this game, referably with a few Germans present? I'm meeting a German girl I know later, I was hoping we could find a few of her country(wo)men so I can be free to cheer on the Argies.

Meeting in Sinnotts, any good?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,484 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Have to support the EU team, also with home advantage I reckon the Germans will win (that said I thought Spain would beat France too, so what do I know!!).

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

I expect Argentina to win, and I think they will win by a 2 goal margin. I think Germany's defense is going to get destroyed, but I think we could havea real cracker, cause Germany have a lot of attacking talent.

Who woulda thought it, two of the most attacking teams in the Tourney, Argentina and Germany!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,473 ✭✭✭Roddy23

Meeting in Sinnotts, any good?

I'd say that'd be your best bet. Just get in early as it'll be jammers, for the match.

Regarding the match I hope it'll be a cracker with the Germans to sneak it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

Ta.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭jobonar

come on Argentina! the 2 teams have played the best football in the tournament so am expecting a good game but Argentina are just more creative so i'm giving them the edge!!! 2-1 to Argentina

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,800 ✭✭✭county

lots of goals in this one me thinks,the germans just shading it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

Argentina for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,053 ✭✭✭jimbling

argies to win... crespo to score a hat-trick* :D

*€20 on Argintina win WC / Crespo top scorer @ 67-1 = €1360 :eek: :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭Attractive Nun

jimbling wrote:
    *€20 on Argintina win WC / Crespo top scorer @ 67-1 = €1360 :eek: :eek:

Nice!

Very excited about this match. Any time the Argies have actually tried to play, their matches have been superb. Argentina Vs Ivory Coast, Argentina Vs Serbia & Montenegro, Argentina Vs Mexico - the three best matches of the tournament? Definitely all in the top 10 anyway. I'd be surprised/disappointed if Saviola starts, he had a pretty bad game against Mexico and I think Messi deserves 90 minutes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Woo, just downloaded an internet TV link, so can watch this on ESPN!!!!

Berries

I expect the argies to go win this about 3-1 in a fairly fast paced game. I think Crespo could drag the German defence all over the place, and hopefully Tevez will come in for Saviola.

Im all for the Argies today anyways.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,147 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

Alles für Deutschland!

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,049 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

I have gone with Argentina to win and backed them @9/1 to win 2-1 in normal time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭jobonar

Tevez starts still no Messi and Germany unchanged!

Germany: Lehmann, Friedrich, Mertesacker, Metzelder, Lahm, Schweinsteiger, Frings, Ballack, Schneider, Klose, Podolski.
    Subs: Asamoah, Borowski, Hanke, Hildebrand, Hitzlsperger, Huth, Jansen, Kahn, Kehl, Neuville, Nowotny, Odonkor.

Argentina: Abbondanzieri, Sorin, Ayala, Coloccini, Heinze, Maxi, Gonzalez, Riquelme, Mascherano, Crespo, Tevez.
    Subs: Aimar, Burdisso, Cambiasso, Cruz, Cufre, Franco, Messi, Milito, Palacio, Saviola, Scaloni, Ustari.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭GrumPy

Should be a great match, can anyone explain what I need to download to watch the match online? PM even as not to take the thread off topic.

Now, back on topic: I fancy Germany tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭Mossin

Gotta go with the Germans on this one.

Not sure why when from a purists point of view an Arg - Bra Final would probably be the best.

I just hope this game produces a classic.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Either a stroll for Argentina or a gritty win for Germany (c'mon Germany)

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,251 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

I have a feeling that Germany will sneak this on penalties or a 1-0 win. That said, their defence is dodgy and Argentina are by far the best team they have come up against, not to mention the best strike force.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

Can anyone translate what the captains read out??

I was waiting at end of Ballack speech for "Heil Hitler":D

Diving again, German lad is right to complain.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

No comments on this world cup quarter final..for the last 40 mins while its on...yes I can see extra time coming too!!

This game needs a goal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Its need an Argie goal I think, as I think Germany could sit on a lead better.

Prediction 1 - 0 Germany in regulation time.

"Its not entertainment!, go to the picutres (if you want that)" - Dunphy.

Mike.

mike65 wrote:
    "Its not entertainment!, go to the picutres (if you want that)" - Dunphy.

Mike.

Yep, I thought when I heard him saythat WTF!, tbh the commentary is better than the game so far. That said it's probably going the way the Germans want it.

Hard to see a goal from regular play, and if there is one than that will probably be enough to win it.

I'm hoping for penalties as I need my footie buzz this evening and its not happened at this game so far!

• Advertisement

Goaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaal!!!!!!!

1:0 to the argies!!

Goal Argentina, Ayala

This game has got to become better now !!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 417 ✭✭randomname

Come on Argentina Score another goal!!! COME ON ARGENTINA!!!

Pretty woeful game so far

1:1 auf gehts!!

• Advertisement

Lets have some peno drama's!!

Terrible management by Argentina there. Germany should win from here.

fade2black wrote:

Dunno, class still with the argies for sure, the Germans are very very very organised of course though.

Its an interesting game .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 602 ✭✭✭soma

fade2black wrote:

agree - ridiculous management bordering on 'sven' levels.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,541 ✭✭✭Davei141

I love that referee...

• Advertisement

Rodriguez rightly booked the cheating little scrote!

Have to wonder what Peckerman is up to. Use all 3 substitutes when extra time was always a possibility? That Cruz guy has been pretty annonymous, and one of Argentina's biggest goal threats was sacrificed to bring him on. I'm gutted as well that we won't see Messi.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

Longfield wrote:
    Dunno, class still with the argies for sure, the Germans are very very very organised of course though.

Its an interesting game .
    Defensive class. :) They have 3 defensive midfielders on the pitch, crazy substitutions by the manager. Waste of a substitution taking Crespo off for that waste of space. Riquelme wasn't great but Aimar and Messi are on the bench.

What has Odonkor done to get the praise Darragh Maloney has been giving him? He was absolutely terribly against Poland and no better this afternoon.

Hmmm, Neuville to score the winner, if the German central defence does'nt screw things up.

Mike.

Ah well there goes by bet, but I am still going to stick with my score prediction which is 2-1 to Argentina.

Atleast the second half was alot more entertaining than the first.

I want Argentina to win now, just because of that ridiculous piece of play-acting by Ballack :mad:

Now Ballack plays the part of the scrote!

So pens it is then....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,473 ✭✭✭Roddy23

Lehmann to be the hero, to save at least 2, Germany to go through.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Roddy23 wrote:
    Lehmann to be the hero, to save at least 2, Germany to go through.

What he said but with the added drama of wearing an "Kahn is my lover" t shirt.

kdjac

• Advertisement
Advertisement