Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Germany v Argentina

13»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,544 ✭✭✭redspider

Its hard to believe that Argentina are out. They are probably the best team in the tournament, I think most would agree with that, although they didnt get tested against some of the other top teams, such as Italy and Brazil, so we will never know for sure. Those matches could have been classics.

It was tactical errors in player selection that let them down badly today, and some bad luck. At the 70th minute or so, all was going according to plan. The their goalie got a knee (not intentional) in the lower abdomen and had to be subbed off. Argentina instead of going for another goal went for the 'keep the 1-0 at all costs' approach. It can work, but there is a risk to it.

And as it transpired, Germany got that goal. Out of nothing it has to be said. Of course, they are dangerous in the air in the box. The defender got caught though and made it esy for Klose. Argentina's wasnt any better of a goal. So overall, you could say that luck balaced out. But it caught the Argentinian manager on the hop.

With the goalies changed, with Requelme taken off, I presume for being tired, and then Crespo, all 3 subs were used, and the talents of Saviola, Messi and Aimar were left tantalizing close to the pitch yet on the bench and out of reach.

The momentum had swung to Germany, and they took it easily on penalties with the better goalie. Argentina failed to threaten enough though.

In a way its a steal. The match was played in quitea hostile environment I thought. Argentina were well able to keep the ball and sought an opening through a solid German midfield and defence, but each timed they had the ball they were incessantly whistled at. Surely FIFA who were big into the No Racism promotion should also stamp out this practice as well. This was not befitting of a home nation I thought.

Anyway, Germany through is a big shock, and I feel the tournament is lesser because of it. The final I was looking forward to, Brazil v Argentina, wont happen.

Peckerman resigned, he has to really. He was lucky it wasnt him that the players were fighting with afterwards.

Football, its a funny old game - never discount the Germans, especially on home soil.

redspider

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,781 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

redspider wrote:
    Football, its a funny old game - never discount the Germans

Indeed. Last WC probably saw the worst German team in modern history. They still somehow made it into the final*

*Admittedly, they had the easiest path ever to the final

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,147 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

redspider wrote:
    In a way its a steal. The match was played in quitea hostile environment I thought. Argentina were well able to keep the ball and sought an opening through a solid German midfield and defence, but each timed they had the ball they were incessantly whistled at. Surely FIFA who were big into the No Racism promotion should also stamp out this practice as well. This was not befitting of a home nation I thought.

It was a world cup quarter final, I would be worried if a crowd wasnt trying to intimidate the opposition. You want FIFA to stamp out people whistling/jeering/booing the opposition? I suppose they could applaud them instead. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,251 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

redspider wrote:
    Football, its a funny old game - never discount the Germans, especially on home soil.

redspider

I've been saying exactly the same thing since the start of the WC.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,795 ✭✭✭Seanie M

I had to listen to the match from extra time onwards because I had to drive to work. Got the whole commentary, even on the fight. Trying to find video clips on the wen this morning is bloody hard! Anyone got highlights of the brawl? Out of curiosity than anything else. I couldn't beleve it went to such a new low in the game.

Seanie.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

Seanie M wrote:
    I had to listen to the match from extra time onwards because I had to drive to work. Got the whole commentary, even on the fight. Trying to find video clips on the wen this morning is bloody hard! Anyone got highlights of the brawl? Out of curiosity than anything else. I couldn't beleve it went to such a new low in the game.

Seanie.
    http://rapidshare.de/files/24581902/Germany_vs_Argentina_-_End_of_Match_Celebrations.zip.html

Spanish commentary I think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,795 ✭✭✭Seanie M

eirebhoy wrote:

I appreciate that eirebhoy. There's a problem though. 3 attempts since yesterday evening, and each time, it's crashing out in the middle of the download. I wonder if it is the server Rapidshare is downloading from? Anyone else have an alternate link perhaps to same video?

Seanie.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 505 ✭✭✭DerKaiser

It's a serious tragedy, the best team is out, the world cup suffers the curse of the germans. Again.

Maybe Italia can do the tournament a favour and knock them out.

Advertisement