Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How fast would my BB be?

• 30-06-2006 6:54am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,099 ✭✭✭

Hi, i'm from the Whites Cross area in Cork... i just found a company called Iirsh Broadband who will actually give me BB in my area... there the only company i have found that will

My question is how fast will my broadband be with this company? I have agreed to get the Breeze Coverage as i can't get the other one in this area (Ripwave Coverage)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,308 ✭✭✭pizzahead77

Read the many threads here on boards. Most users complain of speeds worse than dial-up

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,099 ✭✭✭Dean820

Worse than dial-up?? I don't think you can get much worse than mine.. lol.. i mean, downloads are like 3kb for me on limewire.... what would i get with 1MB with Irish Broadband?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

On IBB, you'd be extremely lucky to get anywhere near the full 1Mbps. More likely you'll get 1M/contention ratio which is 1M/40 = 25kbps, or less. Hardly worth paying BB prices for that.

The speeds you get on Limewire may not be reflective of your actual speeds. As it's P2P there could be a host of things reducing it's download speeds.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭Foxwood

Dean820 wrote:
    Worse than dial-up?? I don't think you can get much worse than mine.. lol.. i mean, downloads are like 3kb for me on limewire.... what would i get with 1MB with Irish Broadband?
    IBB has a number of different products. A lot of people have given up on Ripwave, because it seems to start out great, and then eventually get so bad that it's not worth it. Breeze users generally have a more positive experience, but there are more than a few who have given uo on Breeze too. But different locations tend to have different patterns of problems, and so far the few commenst from Cork based users seem to be positive.

I'm just wondering how come i can't get Ripwave Coverage and i can get Breeze Coverage in my area... whats the difference between the two?

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 9,716 ✭✭✭CuLT

Dean820 wrote:
    I'm just wondering how come i can't get Ripwave Coverage and i can get Breeze Coverage in my area... whats the difference between the two?
    Ripwave uses a non-LOS omnidirectional signal, wheras Breeze uses a LOS-dependant directional signal.

essentially, for Breeze, you need to be able to see the IBB mast from the roof of your house.

How close must you be to get the signal.. as in how many miles?

• Subscribers Posts: 9,716 ✭✭✭CuLT

Think it's generally within 10-15 miles. They have coverage maps on their website.

Advertisement