Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What's your bathroom book!

Options
  • 30-06-2006 7:52am
    Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭

I saw a program recently about people who leave a book in their bathroom for guests to read while they are, ahem, otherwise occupied. Some pretentious chose great literary works to show "give a good impression" to their guests, others left Gary Larson cartoon panel books, some chose humourous short story books, others crime fiction...

So I decided to follow suit and chose "The Concise Histroy of Ireland", a nice book with lots of good colour pictures and drawings from early to modern Irish history. It's not the most detailed of histories (title gives that away) but it's enough to get the main points across. I chose this because I live in the UK and not many people over here are truly aware of Irish history.

So if you have a bathroom book what is it, if not what would you choose and why?

I'm aware that certain people only have magazines of a "certain flavour" in their bathroom but I think these people are w*nkers :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,271 ✭✭✭Archeron

For some reason, I have an encycolpedia of the undead. Go for a crap, come back with an extensive knowledge of vampires and ghouls.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

I have a book on molecular quantum chemistry, back issues of "Physics World", some Cosmo, and a few issues of my bf's GQ.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

dudara wrote:
    I have a book on molecular quantum chemistry.

A case of cramming while cra**ing :D I'm assuming it's a textbook so it's obviously not for guests enjoyment. I once had a book on MALDI-TOF mass spectrometry as my coffee table book until one of the guys in my lab pointed out that it was simply showing my extreme levels of nerdiness and general bio-physics geekiness. :rolleyes: It now sits unobtrusively on the shelf amongst my Harry Potters and Inspector Banks novels. :o

EDIT: Archeon, that encyclopedia sounds cool! I might leave my Call of Cthulhu Game Keepers manual in the bathroom or my AD&D Monster manual int he bathroom too :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,730 ✭✭✭✭simu

Books in a toilet... that's just wrong tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

simu wrote:
    Books in a toilet... that's just wrong tbh.

Handy in some cases if the loo roll runs out.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,096 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Um, I have none. It seems silly. The best one I saw was a guide to Corks various nonsensical words. A cork dictionary, very good.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 5,555 ✭✭✭tSubh Dearg

In the bathroom that guests often use downstairs we have; a penguin classics collection, which is extracts from biographies and autobiographies of various people, two comic strip type books (one on humorous situations with computers and the other Dublin based strips from some magazine that was around in the 80's) and finally a book about Tuscany, full of lovely pictures.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

A tattered copy of "Bliss".

Not mine, mind...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 PeterM

There are a few rugby magazines but are outdated from around 1998....:eek:

In the main bathroom upstairs though there is a book called "Bunny Suicides" which is around 100 or so cartoon sketchs of the various way a bunny kills itself, rather humourous, all the moreso because one would be sitting on a toilet.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,856 ✭✭✭Valmont

I enjoy nothing more than reading a few passages of War and Peace whilst sitting on the toilet. Seriously though, sitting for prolonged and uneccessary amounts of time on the toilet can result in haemorroids, so ideally some of Gary Larson's Far Side cartoons would be perfect.:D :D:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,350 ✭✭✭Lust4Life

Tons of Home Improvement Magazines in mine. Only time I have to read these days!
    And to scare our male guests, we have a copy of James Dickie's "Deliverence"!
    Really don't know why that is in there!!!!!!

L4L

Valmont wrote:
    so ideally some of Gary Larson's Far Side cartoons would be perfect.:D :D:D

I know what you mean, just for sh1ts and giggles, right? :D:D

But seriously folks...:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,964 ✭✭✭Hmm_Messiah

The Shlte History of almost everything

very appropriate, and informative.

did you know 300000 mummified cats found in Egypt were sent to England and ground down as fertilizer??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 372 ✭✭catspring

at the minute we've got a book on the russian revolution, a glamour mag, a maxim mag, and a ranxerox comic book.
    we used to have a brilliant fact book called something like "facts for in the loo". does anybody know what book i'm talking about? i'd love to get a new copy as the one in question has gone awol.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,703 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tree

The only readin material in our facillities is teh back of the shampoo bottles and makeup containers

Tree wrote:
    The only readin material in our facillities is teh back of the shampoo bottles and makeup containers

Unfortunately as a Biologist working in the pharma/healthcare communications industry I find that info really interesting:o I'm such a nerd:rolleyes: :D

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,703 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tree

So do i :) but not while on the loo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭Mrs. MacGyver

Treasures of the National Museum of Ireland. Back issues of Archaeology Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,856 ✭✭✭Valmont

r3nu4l wrote:
    I know what you mean, just for sh1ts and giggles, right? :D:D

But seriously folks...:D

hahahhhhhh, quality!!
    :D:D:D:D:D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 Alsatian_Cousin

Father ted and Alan Partridge scripts

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭Kolodny

I don't keep any in mine but someone I know has a one called something like 'the book of crap toilet jokes', none of which are funny.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,327 ✭✭✭Bandana boy

In the main guest bathroom at the moment I have an collection of Calvin & Hobbes

In the downstairs loo i throw Empire and Total Film each month when i am finished

Guests think I am crazy to keep putting new reading material in there but they do thinks its fun

• Registered Users Posts: 5,772 ✭✭✭toomevara

Have a small bookshelf in the bog beside the loo,well stocked with frequent additions/turnovers. Goes down a treat with all and sundry. Problem is people keep dissappearing in there for hours on end......bloody great facility though and always experience a moment of culture shock and dissapointment when availing of the loo in non-book shelfed facilities.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭BossArky

Ulysees - so that I can tear a few pages out of it with each crap and flush it down the toilet. By far the quickest way to get through this book*

*Note - above may have been invented for the sake of a laugh.

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭fasterkitten

I'm going to make mine Ulysses so I can read a page or two a day, and maybe do the above

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

Nothing. I'm not the type to sit and read.

I used to work with someone who brought work related periodicals/magazines to the bathroom with them. These would then make it back into the office for other people to read.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,894 ✭✭✭Chinafoot

In my boyfriend's place there's usually a copy of New Scientist or Scientific America, a film mag and often a PC Gamer.

At home it's whatever is at hand.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭muletide

Schott's Almanac- always something new and interesting

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭BossArky

I used to work with someone who brought work related periodicals/magazines to the bathroom with them. These would then make it back into the office for other people to read.

Yep, I agree. Something wrong about someone dropping a newspaper back on a table for anyone else to pick up, ... after they have had it in the toilet with them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭AnBealBocht

Re-cycling crap?

Advertisement