Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Which GPS receiver for N70

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭damo86

Never heard of any of those, maybe try a holux gps slim 236, they seem pretty popular

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Eurorunner

Thanks damo - will check that one out.

Have decided to go with this receiver as funds are tight at the moment. Has anyone come accross this receiver on another website as mobilefun want ten quid for delivery and I think thats a bit steep.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭viking

Let me know how you get on with that GPS receiver as I was looking at getting it myself shortly.

Shipping is a bit steep but its flat rate as far as I can see so perhaps an additional purchase on the order might make it better value.

viking wrote:
    Let me know how you get on with that GPS receiver as I was looking at getting it myself shortly.
    Will do. Ordered up this morning.
    viking wrote:
    Shipping is a bit steep but its flat rate as far as I can see so perhaps an additional purchase on the order might make it better value.
    Its double what it should be - just annoys me. They didnt really have anything else I wanted but its still the cheapest gps receiver around...

• Advertisement

Cheers Eurorunner. What software are you going to use with that?

Spotted this similar GPS receiver on the same site:

http://www.mobilefun.co.uk/product/10939.htm?utm_campaign=MF-template&utm_source=latestproducts1&utm_medium=10939

Its got the SiRF III chipset whereas the other one doesn't, would anyone recommend going for this one over a non-SirF III chipset reciever? Would there be much of a practical difference between the two?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,446 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

know someone who has this its reasonably quick lock (less than a couple of mins) he's got route 66 on a dell axim 51v bluetooth and thinks its great
    seems to work anyway

• Subscribers Posts: 3,702 ✭✭✭TCP/IP

I got this one for my N70
    http://www.aximsite.com/articles/link.php?id=287

And a 2 gig memory card and the Tom Tom mobile software all good

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭The Doktor

I got the route 66 on my XDA, its pretty good. Fast lock (usually only seconds), and maps are pretty good. Also nice and small.

viking wrote:
    Cheers Eurorunner. What software are you going to use with that?
    Route66 - ready to load onto it.
    TCP/IP wrote:
    Yeah - when I was researching them, this one came up with a very good reputation. Having said that, the other one is much cheaper. Would go for this one if I was driving for a living and was likely to rely heavily on it. As it is, I know gps will be useful for me but its far from an essential purchase - hence the cheap n' cheerful option.

• Advertisement

Got the receiver from mobilefun. Cant test it out in full right now as I need to slap the maps onto a mmc when I get home.

However, have charged it up, paired it with the phone sucessfully and tried to get route66 to connect to it. However, i keep getting this error:

"cannot connect to BT-GPS. Retry?"

Has anyone who may have bought this particular receiver come accross this problem?

[EDIT] I dont suppose it has anything to do with the maps not being loaded?. Also, when I press 'yes' to 'retry', nothing happens - if i press 'yes' again, i get options for the route66 program.....??[/EDIT]

Is your phone's bluetooth visibility set to "Shown to all"?

EDIT: Its probably a maps issue now that you mention it or perhaps a known issue with bluetooth on the N70? A firmware upgrade should sort it.

Thanks Viking. Will update the firmware first and see if that sorts it.

[EDIT]Dont have data cable to flash - its somewhere I wont be till next week. If I transfer over the two firmware files via bluetooth onto the MMC - can I just click on them and they will run - or do I need a flash utility application of some sort?
    Reinstalling Route66 with map file onto one GB MMC card - transfering over via bluetooth. Will see if maps were an issue whenever the bluetooth transfer eventually finishes up..[/EDIT]

Where did you get the firmware files from? What version firmware do you have?

If the re-flash goes wrong you might not be covered by warranty, it might be best to drop the phone into phone shop or nokia service centre.

viking wrote:
    Where did you get the firmware files from? What version firmware do you have?
    latest firmware = /rm-84/50609201. When I checked mine last night it was version 2.xx... (cant check it right now as my phone is flat). The firmware files are coming from a reliable source - i'm satisfied that there is no problem there.
    viking wrote:
    If the re-flash goes wrong you might not be covered by warranty, it might be best to drop the phone into phone shop or nokia service centre.
    Yeah, your right there - I will have to wait until I have the data cable next week. I tried to transfer the route 66 files and maps over to my MMC card via bluetooth last night and it was ridiculously slow (i knew BT was slow but never realised it was that slow) - so I have to wait for the data cable anyways.
    So the only feedback on the gps unit I can provide thus far is that its nice and small and lightweight. Mobilefun delivery took just two days.

Eurorunner wrote:
    latest firmware = /rm-84/50609201. When I checked mine last night it was version 2.xx... (cant check it right now as my phone is flat). The firmware files are coming from a reliable source - i'm satisfied that there is no problem there.
    My firmware is 2.xx too, I popped into a independent phone shop around the corner from me and he wanted 30€ to re-flash it! Might give it a go myself too.
    Eurorunner wrote:
    Mobilefun delivery took just two days.
    Bit the bullet and went ahead and ordered it yesterday afternoon :) I tried to order a couple of extra things to make the delivery charge less painful but they don't allow CC orders of more than £50 from outside the UK, bank transfer only...

viking wrote:
    My firmware is 2.xx too, I popped into a independent phone shop around the corner from me and he wanted 30€ to re-flash it! Might give it a go myself too.
    Just installed v5.xx myself, relatively straightforward.

viking wrote:
    Just installed v5.xx myself, relatively straightforward.

Cant see as if it would be any more complex than flashing a pc - so long as it gets flashed with the right files and theres no interuptions?

Eurorunner wrote:
    However, have charged it up, paired it with the phone sucessfully and tried to get route66 to connect to it. However, i keep getting this error:

"cannot connect to BT-GPS. Retry?"

Has anyone who may have bought this particular receiver come accross this problem?

[EDIT] I dont suppose it has anything to do with the maps not being loaded?. Also, when I press 'yes' to 'retry', nothing happens - if i press 'yes' again, i get options for the route66 program.....??[/EDIT]

Wait for the green light on the GPS receiver to stop flashing and stay lit, this means that it has acquired satellite lock. Try Route 66 then.

If it continues to flash for about 5 mins then satellite lock has failed and you need to bring it outside/try different location.

viking wrote:
    Wait for the green light on the GPS receiver to stop flashing and stay lit, this means that it has acquired satellite lock. Try Route 66 then.

If it continues to flash for about 5 mins then satellite lock has failed and you need to bring it outside/try different location.
    Just trying to get my route66 installation sorted out. Have the gps reciever switched on and its got a flashing blue led? What does that signify?

• Advertisement

blue led = bluetooth :) Will always blink even if paired or not.

Just went out for a spin round the local area and tried a few close-by destinations, pleasantly surprised at how well it works.

Finally got it working. I'm impressed. Very good return for a small investment:D
    I only went for a short spin to check it out. Will be interesting to see how good the mapping is - should be able to put it to the test over the next couple of days.
    I may not have got to grips with it yet but I do seem to be having problems getting the receiver and route66 talking to each other sometimes..maybe its me and i'm not using it right.

Advertisement