Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

engine for fiesta

Options
  • 30-06-2006 8:53am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭

Guys

I buggered up teh engine on my fiesta and need to get a new one. it's a 1.25L 16V Zetec s any ideas where to start looking for one and a ball park figure?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭Darando

what year is the car?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 264 ✭✭Velocitee

what happened to the engine?

I have a '00 Fiesta 1.25 Ghia (so Zetec also) and was told when I rang when the car was around the 69k miles mark that it didnt need a timing belt change till 100k miles

Ive had the car since the 40k-50k miles range so thinking I might change the timing belt early at its next service for peace of mind even though I want to sell it end of this year (service in just over 1k miles @ 73k miles)

Not to go off topic by too much but does anybody know if it is mad to change it?

Also dade, you might want to check is there a warranty on the engine with ford?

(ring your local friendly ford dealer maybe)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭Dilbert75

OP, look for Traynors in Northern Ireland - one of the biggest car dismantlers in these islands.

Used to have one of those Fiestas - great cars - and at 9 years and 73k miles I asked 2 Ford garages about belts. One said 6 years/60k - the other said 10 years/100k. One quoted €350, the other €400. Got it done with an independent mechanic for €150 - full tensioner kit included (he borrowed the necessary special tools from the first of the Ford dealers!).

• Registered Users Posts: 73,455 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

10 years on a belt?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

colm_mcm wrote:
    10 years on a belt?

That is madness, most petrol cars are 40-60k or 4-5 years

• Registered Users Posts: 7,660 ✭✭✭maidhc

mloc123 wrote:
    That is madness, most petrol cars are 40-60k or 4-5 years

Ford seem to pay if it breaks!

Dilbert75 wrote:
    at 9 years and 73k miles I asked 2 Ford garages about belts. One said 6 years/60k - the other said 10 years/100k. One quoted €350, the other €400. Got it done with an independent mechanic for €150 - full tensioner kit included (he borrowed the necessary special tools from the first of the Ford dealers!).

Hi Dilbert75 - did you get this done at the 73k so? would this make the car easier to sell if this was done early? I would most likely be selling it back to a dealer.
    maidhc wrote:
    Ford seem to pay if it breaks!
    Really? where did you find this out from?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Afaik ford guarantee them to 100K - that is the recommended change interval on the 1.25 zetec.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭Dilbert75

Yep, @9 years & 2 months - was only ever going to have to get it done once anyway, so not worth delaying to save the few bob.

Sold the car earlier this year - one of the first things a potential owner wants to hear, including - or especially - garages, is that the belt is done. Nobody wants to have to put time or money into a car that age.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭dade

Darando wrote:
    what year is the car?

she's an 98.

Turns out i had no oil but teh warning light only flashed once. I heard of traynors so I'm gonna give them a shout today to get a price. Do they deliver to your location or just one place and you have to arrange pick up from there?

• Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭Darando

Have a '97 1.25 Zetec Fiesta also. It seems to be very heavy on oil also.

Anyone know if this common on them as they get older???

(guessing this is how dades went dry- didnt expect it to be so heavy on oil)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭dade

Darando wrote:
    Have a '97 1.25 Zetec Fiesta also. It seems to be very heavy on oil also.

Anyone know if this common on them as they get older???

(guessing this is how dades went dry- didnt expect it to be so heavy on oil)

yeah my oil ran out, she wasn't leaking of burning oil (no smoke from the exhaust) i did smell what i thought was petrol but i work for an oil company so i assumed it may be fumes from the terminal or something so thought nothing of it. probably wqas burning oil and it was coming back into the car via the air vents or something

Advertisement