Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Perms

• 30-06-2006 9:09am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 102 ✭✭

I was wondering if people still get perms these days, and can you get them in places like peter marks etc.?? I have really bad hair its not straight and its not curly, its just mad!! To get it to look decent I have to use a hair dresser style hair dryer on the hottest heat and it ruins my hair, I cannot let it dry naturally as it looks like iv been electrocuted.

Anyway, I would love to get a really loose perm almost like a body wave as my hair is quite long now (down past my bra strap). But can you still straighten your hair with a GHD with a perm??

I have googled perms and all I get are dodgy US sites talking about poodle perms, scary. So any advice would be greatly appreciated, Cheers.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 183 ✭✭giggles

Call into a couple of hair salons for their professional advice and recommendations ;)

I saw somebody getting a loose perm in one of those telly makeover shows and it was lovely! Think Maria from Corrie rather than those dodgy perms from the 80's!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 102 ✭✭Clár

Yeah that is so like wot im thinking her hair is fab, but i could not get it to look like that without the chemicals.

Looked on Peter Mark's website and they do perms and stress that its done in a more modern and less harse way..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

That sounds interesting, I might look into that too. Like the OP, my hair is neither straight nor curly, but usually more like I just stuck my finger into an electrical socket.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 215 ✭✭fabcat

Any good hairdressers will be able to do it for you, all they need is the perm lotion and a type of roller that will suit the curl you want. Damn you, now I want a perm.:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 102 ✭✭Clár

Yeah i would love to be able to wash my hair, slap in a bit of moose and have a lovely bouncy set of curls.

I am sure that despite getting the perming lotion in, in the long run your hair would be so much healtier from not blowdrying every second day as in my case.

Curls suit me better than straight hair i reckon! Straight hair (well mine anyway) is SO boring!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 514 ✭✭✭lasair

my sister got a perm done about four years ago.
    it took 5 hours to do in the salon and she had to use the aussie hair care stuff.
    every mornin she had to get up and wash the hair, she used to leave in the conditioner because the hair goes really dry cos of all the chemicals.
    it was really hard to straighten out, and took almost 3 years to grow out properly...
    if you get it done your hair wil be about shoulder length witht the curls because its long.
    it usually costs bout €30-60 for it to be done.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 849 ✭✭✭Liquorice

My hair used to be a bit of a mess when I let it dry naturally, and a bigger mess when I blowdried it. What I do now is I douse it with mouse and then clip it up on top of my head or (the better method) I wrap it in a turbie towel. Take it down a little while later and BOOM! curls that are quite nice. Sleeping with it slightly damp also makes for nice curls but sleeping with wet hair quite often isn't a good idea.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭b3t4

OP and others that have similar hair type, do ye brush yeer hair?

If ye do, stop. Do not under any circumstances brush it using a brush.

Style tips:

1. Run your fingers through your hair when in the shower using some conditioner to loosen up the knots.
    2. When out of the shower wrap hair in a towel. Do not wrap the hair around and place on top of head.
    3. Apply gel (I find shockwaves, strong or ultra strong to be excellent)
    4. Leave to dry naturally.

The main cause of frizz for this type of hair is brushing it.

I'd highly advise you to try this before concidering a perm.
    A.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,600 ✭✭✭Cutie18Ireland

my hair was the same neither straight or curly so i got a reverse perm and its great 5 mins of straightning and its perfect... i dont have the patience to blow dry it properly lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 meathwhiskey

hi there,

I have dead straight hair. i don't ever have to blow dry it to get it straight. but the day after it has been washed it is looking limp or lank - not greesy. i would love to have a curl or even a kink in it. do they still do a light perm in hairdressers?

any answers would be great.

• Advertisement
Advertisement