Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rofl US administration put thier foot in mouth.

Options
  • 30-06-2006 9:22am
    Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭

Saw it on the news last night.

Bush and his administration are pretty much demanding blood over the NYT times leaking the information of the US government tracking bank records. They wanted to know where they got the secret information from.

Turns out the group hired to do the investigations SWIFT (http://www.swift.com/) are a public company and detailed it publically on thier website, but also reported thier actions in one of thier monthly magazines.

To make it funnier they also showed footage from just after 9/11 where Bush is detailing to the media what the NYT already said they were doing.

Makes you wonder why they are getting so upset about it.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,046 ✭✭✭democrates

Oh that is comical. It's like dubya as the mutant slack-jawed dim-wit offspring of Stan Laurel and Calamity Jane vs the Godzilla of rationality.

But a classic mis-direction tactic imho, the supreme court judgement on gitmo is another fine mess they may want to distract from. Just a theory, the pr people can't be that stupid. Can they?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭dam099

Hobbes wrote:
    Saw it on the news last night.
    Turns out the group hired to do the investigations SWIFT (http://www.swift.com/) are a public company and detailed it publically on thier website, but also reported thier actions in one of thier monthly magazines.

I don't think Swift were hired to do this, they already do much of the interbank transfers, they were told they had to report on certain of these transactions.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

well they had it on the news. Also they had pages on thier site detailing it. Although a search on the site all I found was a couple of pdfs detailing it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭lostexpectation

in fairness it was a bit of non-story from the NYT too, only being reported cos of the phone snooping, sure havn't they always been doing this, its all a matter whether they got a warrent for each case or they doing a free for all, the Irish gov could be doing the same we wouldn't be able to tell

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

sure havn't they always been doing this, its all a matter whether they got a warrent for each case or they doing a free for all, the Irish gov could be doing the same we wouldn't be able to tell

They haven't been doing it to the extent to pre-911. Before 911 they had to get a warrent to get details on transactions, now they automatically get details if your transaction is over a certain value.

Back in 2001-2002 I know it was over 10k (my of gone down since then). As I was moving my bank account back to Ireland the bank in question didn't want to wire transfer it as they would have to fill out tons of crap for HLS.

• Advertisement
Advertisement