Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Another ***** dealer taking the pi$$

Options
  • 30-06-2006 9:57am
    Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭

So I noticed this car on carzone on the 18th of June
    03 Fiat Stilo Multiwagon 1.9 JTD, 60 k miles. Well its a Fiat ...bad reputation ...zero resale value ...but hey ...it's advertised for 7 k.

So I ring up on Monday ...well the car isn't here yet, he'll have it on Wednesday, ring again then.
    On Wednesday I ring again ...car still not there, will come in next week. Meanwhile the ad in carzone is refreshed, still at 7 k.
    At the end of the week, having done some research on Fiat Stilos I ring again ...asking would they be interested in trading in a Suzuki Jimny ...oh yes, very intersted indeed, they have good demand for Jimny's. So I send an email with a few pictures. Ring again on Monday ...based on the pictures they would offer me 4.5k for the Jimny ...not great, but as the Stilo is only 7k I agree to this, pending inspection of the car. Car is still not there , by the way but will be on Thursday, get serviced and be ready for viewing Fri/Sat.

So yesterday I ring again to get some details (after all I will probably buy this car and drive it straight home) and ....ahh sorry ,bit of bad news there...we got the price wrong ...the car is now 9k ...your Jimny of course stays at 4.5

What??

I check on carzone ...yepp ...they've updated it to 9k.

So yesterday evening I send them another mail, telling them that I'm no longer interested, as I can get other cars for that money that don't have the bad reputation or the poor resale value that the Stilo carries but they could contact me if they decide to all of a sudden "revise" their price to the original offer.

Then I get an email back ...and I quote word for word.

I'm sorry that you are no longer youre interested. but if you want a good bilt car, why do you drive a jimmy in the first place

Bloody cheek of them.

Well ...the least I can do is share this wonderful experience with you.

And here is the ad (and the outfit) in question:

http://www.carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carid=451572

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭kluivert

Not worth 9k

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

A jokeshop. Forget about it.

"but if you want a good bilt car, why do you drive a jimmy in the first place" -- I love the dealers spelling, grammar and punctuation :D

Did you suggest his FIAT was poorly built?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

I love the dealers spelling, grammar and punctuation :D

QUOTE]

You forgot to put the apostrophe on "dealer's". :D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Did you suggest his FIAT was poorly built?

nope ...I said it had a bad reputatiion and poor resale value ...which is true

• Registered Users Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭egan007

The dealer has the right to correct the price.

Average Price for 2003 Fiat Stilo - 4 Dr in Ireland: €11,472 Based on 24 models
    - from cbg.ie

9k sounds like a bargain
    I've had 2 Fiats - they are great - thank god for a car with personality rather than the mundain crap out there.

If you have such a complex about Fiat and resale they why are you looking for one?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 65,414 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Not so nice behaviour by the garage. You pretty much had a verbal deal, didn't you after negotiating the trade-in value of the Jimmy?

That said, €7k for the FIAT would have been unrealistically cheap!

That said, €7k for the FIAT would have been unrealistically cheap!

Thought so too ...that's why I asked about the price several times and the sales guy gave me some story about somebody buying it by mistake (thinking it was automatic) and wanting rid of it quickly.

Anyhow ...even if this was a genuine "mistake" ...the dealer still don't know what they're doing and I would have no confidence in dealing with them.

But the behaviour afterwards is just ridiculous ...

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

peasant
    have you answered his e-mail?

if not, I insist you send him the following:

"Don't be sorry for me,
    I can sell my jimmy, but you will always have grammar, punctuation and spelling issues"

I know it's low, but you'll feel better and that's what is important here :D

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Beruthiel wrote:
    peasant
    have you answered his e-mail?

if not, I insist you send him the following:

"Don't be sorry for me,
    I can sell my jimmy, but you will always have grammar, punctuation and spelling issues (and a sh1tebox FIAT)"

I know it's low, but you'll feel better and that's what is important here :D

Fixed it for you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

who is jimmy?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

That place is a joke, they have a Saxo VTR for €7,450 which is about 1k over what a VTS on same millage/year is making :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 73,455 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

who wants a 80bhp diesel Stilo anyway!

colm_mcm wrote:
    who wants a 80bhp diesel Stilo anyway!
    Personally, I wouldn't have minded. 99.9% of my driving is pootling along narrow country lanes ...but for 9 grand it would have to be the 115bhp. At least you would have some hope of selling that on / trading it in a few years down the line.

With 80bhp ...no chance ...

even the JTD in the Brava was 105bhp

yeah, but in the Punto ...as in the not available in Ireland 1.9 Punto ...its 80

(no intercooler, no variable geometry turbo , otherwise same engine)

Yeah but the Brava was around long before the Stilo, and ages before the Stilo MW

Colm ..you can/could get two different diesels in the Stilo MW ...80 and 115 bhp JTD and lately there even is a 140 bhp Multijet

So the 80 bhp is/was the bottom of the rung poverty spec one

I'd avoid the 80bhp then, given the very low prices of Stilos, high end models can't be that far away from base spec price wise.

Still, I probably would have bought it for 7k.

Well ..not now ...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭wyndham

I would wager that 7k is what they paid/ are giving for it on a trade and the 2k is their margin and that's where the confusion arose.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SouperComputer

colm_mcm, you need to resize that sig or the "SigPo" will kazam your a$$. :D

wyndham wrote:
    I would wager that 7k is what they paid/ are giving for it on a trade and the 2k is their margin and that's where the confusion arose.

Which still leaves the fact that I talked and emailed to these people (different people ...same dealer) several times. Always quoting the advertised price of 7 k.

Which then leads to the conclusion that they don't know their backside from their elbow ...now where does that leave you on trusting anything else they tell you ...the likes of mileage, condition, accidents etc that the car might or might not have had.

Be better off buying and selling privately in that case.

Advertisement