Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Amplifier damaged?

• 30-06-2006 10:05am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭

Hoping someone can help here.
    I have noticed that the sound coming form my right speaker on my stereo system is distorted. It sounds like the interference when a radio station is slight out of tune. I have eliminated the possibilty that it is the speaker itself as I have switched them around and also tried different speakers. Ultimately it seems as though the right channel on my amplifier is somehow damaged. Is this something that can happen and if so can it be fixed, or am I looking at a new purchase?
    Thanks.

Comments

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Red Alert

Best case scenario is there could be a ground loop problem inside the amplifier, caused when something was disconnected possibly from a jolt or something - did you move it around recently?

Worst case scenario is that some component's gone bad inside the amplifier or possibly a power supply failure.

Is this a 5-channel or 2-channel amp?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭mordeith

It's a 2-channel job. I never move it so as you say it's probably a component gone inside. In fairness I got it for free off work and it's around 20-25 years old so maybe it deserves to go peacefully.
    Any ideas on what price I should be looking to pay for a 200w amp to replace it? I'll go shopping around today anyway.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Red Alert

200w peak (as opposed to RMS) i presume unless you've got a seriously big setup:

I have a Yamaha AX396 (60W@8ohms/channel) which really does perform well, its bigger brothers the AX496,AX596 (80W,100W@8ohms/channel) are good solid machines too i'd say.

Peats have some nice NAD gear in stock, the C352 is a classic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭mordeith

With regards power I have two speakers, each rated at 100W peak. I assumed I would need a 200W amp to power them properly. However I've since been told that the speakers power output is rated from 20W-100W so I'm now looking at a pioneer amp (can't remember the model right now) which is rated at 40W per channel. I reckon that should keep me going. The price is €200 by the way.

Advertisement