Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Where Do You Put Your Child In The Car?

Options
  • 30-06-2006 10:22am
    Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭

Following comments made in a previous post, I'd be interested to know where people position thier child in a car (or the youngest if you've more than one). I'd be interested to know which seat people think is the safetst. Post your reasons if you can.

Personally, I think that the passenger side rear is the safest spot but having read some comments posted in the recent "VW Golf Airbag" thread, I'm not so sure any more so I'd like to hear other peoples points of view.

Where Do You Put Your Child Seat? 70 votes

Front Passenger Seat
    0% 0 votes
    Rear Driver Side Seat
    1% 1 vote
    Rear Passenger Side Seat
    20% 14 votes
    Rear Centre Seat
    65% 46 votes
    Other (3rd row in MPV, etc)
    12% 9 votes

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

In the back. 2 of them on proper booster seats. Focus ST does the school run daily and is fine even in 3 door form.

• Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

All three go in the back - the youngest goes in the middle (largest child seat , smallest car set) with the others flanking him ( 1 in booster, 1 in booster with back) or else they'll go in the back row and spent their time rowing. (307SW).

When we had just 1 he was behind the drivers seat - easier to get him in /out at home.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭PaddyFagan

Just the one - she sits in the back behind the passanger (at 16 months she's in a forward facing seat) - the main reasoning is so that she can see the driver, more often than not it's just her and whoever is driving.

Paddy

• Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Although many parents put the childseat at the nearside for ease of access and observation, it is safer behind the drivers seat. In a potential accident situation, the drivers instinct to preserve his or her (ie the driver's) life will take over and could also automatically result in saving the life of the child behind.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

Although many parents put the childseat at the nearside for ease of access and observation, it is safer behind the drivers seat. In a potential accident situation, the drivers instinct to preserve his or her (ie the driver's) life will take over and could also automatically result in saving the life of the child behind.
    Hmmmmm.........interesting. I would have thought that the passenger side was less likely to be damaged in an accident being furthest away from the traffic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 730 ✭✭✭squire1

Passenger side at rear. Basically for safety when loading/unloading when parked on street. Normally parked with traffic passing on drivers side.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,991 ✭✭✭✭Stark

In the boot.

Oh wait, my child. Nah don't have kids of my own. The government had me sterilised.

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭andrew_ireland

Roof-racks all the way!

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭pbergin

Hows that work?
    What would the driver do? put hands over hear\face? I cant see that having any affect on child in the rear, even if the worst happened and the child was thrown forward out of the seat due to being not belted in properly.
    We put our 14 month old girl in the rear behind the passenger seat

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Used to be rear drivers side, but now Ive two its one each side. My biggest prob is keeping my 3 yr olds seat belt on.:(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

Both in the rear, the youngest on the passenger side in my wifes car but on the drivers side in the main car, because when we all travel together, she finds it easier passing stuff back & forward to the youngest one.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,243 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

We have our 2 year old daughter seated in the rear passenger side.

I'm not totally convinced that there really is a "safer" side in the rear of the car to place a baby seat, my opinion is that a side impact has as much chance of occuring at one side as the other depending on the circumstances at the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

pbergin wrote:
    Hows that work?
    What would the driver do? put hands over hear\face? I cant see that having any affect on child in the rear, even if the worst happened and the child was thrown forward out of the seat due to being not belted in properly.
    We put our 14 month old girl in the rear behind the passenger seat

The apparent rationale is that the driver will impulsively try to avoid contact with their (the driver's) side of the vehicle in a collision. If the child is behind the driver then they will probably be safer.

(I read it in a motoring magazine - I've no links though)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Rovi

Not having any children to transport, this is easy. :D

I've seen the 'driver's side rear seat' strongly advocated on the grounds that the driver is much less likely to be distracted by trying to wipe little Timmy's face or pick Teddy up off the floor, while driving.
    If little Timmy requires parental attention, park the car and perform the needful.

Like I said, this is easy when you don't have to actually do it yourself.

Oh, and 'Trailer' isn't an option in the poll either. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,078 ✭✭✭tabatha

they did a piece about this on the tv recently, i think it was on "this morning". they said that a child should always if possible be seated behind the drivers seat as this is the safest seat in a car. they also mentioned something about china or japan and how it is regarded as very polite to put someone in this seat as they consider it to be the best.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

I have a yowwwwwwwwwwwwwage glovebox

• Registered Users Posts: 65,414 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

tabatha wrote:
    they said that a child should always if possible be seated behind the drivers seat as this is the safest seat in a car

Technically that might be right from a safety point of view. It wouldn't fancy though not being able to see the child at all. In the back behind the passenger, the driver could take direct glances at the child and / or have a wee baby monitoring mirror attached to the rear-view mirror

This is if there is just driver + child. I would go child behind driver if there is driver + passenger + child and the passenger sits in the front

For two young children, I would have the youngest behind the passenger and the eldest behind the driver

• Registered Users Posts: 8,393 ✭✭✭BrianD3

Well I'd regard the rear passenger side as the safest area for children or adults for that matter. Most frontal impacts between two vehicles are drivers side to drivers side, also there's generally more "stuff" to come back on the drivers side. eg the driver himself, the steering column. In a very severe crash the steering wheel can end up in the back seat :eek:

In a single car crash where the car hits a ditch, tree etc. the passenger side may be more likely to take the brunt. However the stereotypical single car crash involves a young male crashing his car into a ditch on a saturday night. Parents who are bringing the kids to school generally don't have single car crashes.

Side impacts - I'd say the chance of an impact from the passenger side is pretty similar to the chance of an impact from the drives side.

rear impacts - severe rear impacts causing death or serious injury are not that common on our roads. So it probably makes little difference what side of the car you're sitting in

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

Ialways remember my mother getting really annoyed with me behind the drivers seat because (as kids do) I used to stretch my legs against the back and push the seat up

• Registered Users Posts: 9,788 ✭✭✭MrPudding

ninty9er wrote:
    Ialways remember my mother getting really annoyed with me behind the drivers seat because (as kids do) I used to stretch my legs against the back and push the seat up
    This is why we have the youngest behind the driver seat. Our car isn't that small but our 7 year old has really long legs.

MrP

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 85 ✭✭HotRodDub

As the person who started the 'airbag in a Golf' thread, I'd like to thank everyone for their comments. I will now NOT be getting the air bag turned off and the child will go in the back.

Wonder why my VW dealer did not recommend this, oh yeah he's a VW dealer thats why!

Thanks again everyone!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 471 ✭✭Debracd

We have 2 in carseats. DS is in an Isofix booster on the rear passanger side and DD is in an Isofix baby seat on the rear drivers side and our eldest in the middle. Mind you the only logic behind putting the baby there was so that the other 2 could hop out on the passanger side when being dropped off at school.

Deb

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,485 ✭✭✭✭Ickle Magoo

Had to vote other as your poll makes no allowances for those of us with multiple children and so using multiple seats....I have one behind the passenger seat & one behind me in the drivers seat....:)

Ickle Magoo, you obviously missed this part of the original post...........

I'd be interested to know where people position thier child in a car (or the youngest if you've more than one).

;)

What about twins CrosstownK;)

Debracd wrote:
    What about twins CrosstownK;)
    Close - but no cigar!

One must come first - if both come together then hats off to the woman:D

Oh I can be so pedantic..................

crosstownk wrote:
    Oh I can be so pedantic..................

Isn't that just a flashy word for a smart a**e??? :D

I reckon so long as they're in the back as safe as they can be travelling at 60mph!

Debracd wrote:
    Isn't that just a flashy word for a smart a**e??? :D
    Yes

• Registered Users Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

tabatha wrote:
    they said that a child should always if possible be seated behind the drivers seat as this is the safest seat in a car.

..well, in real life, you need to see the child. They do have a habit of attempting to get out of their seats..........

Also, in on-street parking scenario's, you should not have or bring the child into the traffic stream, i.e., the driver's side. It's safer for the driver to do the unloading on the passenger side, too.

As if to demonstrate this, a number of years ago on the ring road around Riverside in Galway City, a lady had pulled up in her car to attend the child who was seated behind her, on the driver's side. Unfortunately, she was swiped by a following car and killed. The child, iirc survived unscathed, but is now motherless. Standing on the side of traffic is just too dangerous, period, and you're far more likely to be dealing with that issue rather than high speed car-flip maneouvres...........sorry for the sombre note, but I used to live there and I have that terrible image in my head every single time I pass the spot.......

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭Spitfire666

passenger side rear seat. i dont have a people carrier but if i did id only put them in the last row if their was no other seats as its the most unsafe place in the car. not much to stop the car/truck/bus from landing in the back row in an accident.

Advertisement