Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Where Do You Put Your Child In The Car?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,142 ✭✭✭TempestSabre

galwaytt wrote:
    ..well, in real life, you need to see the child. They do have a habit of attempting to get out of their seats..........

Also, in on-street parking scenario's, you should not have or bring the child into the traffic stream, i.e., the driver's side. It's safer for the driver to do the unloading on the passenger side, too.

As if to demonstrate this, a number of years ago on the ring road around Riverside in Galway City, a lady had pulled up in her car to attend the child who was seated behind her, on the driver's side. Unfortunately, she was swiped by a following car and killed. The child, iirc survived unscathed, but is now motherless. Standing on the side of traffic is just too dangerous, period, and you're far more likely to be dealing with that issue rather than high speed car-flip maneouvres...........sorry for the sombre note, but I used to live there and I have that terrible image in my head every single time I pass the spot.......

Thats my reasoning too. You can see them, and its safer when loading.

• Registered Users Posts: 614 ✭✭✭Cucullan

I put my 4 year old behind the drivers seat in a booster seat basically because when he was smaller and if he was acting up my partner could turn around and see him easily rather than if he was behind the passenger seat, so I suppose its just habit now althongh he does like to sit in the middle sometimes when the mood takes him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,222 ✭✭✭\m/_(>_<)_\m/

crosstownk wrote:
    Following comments made in a previous post, I'd be interested to know where people position thier child in a car (or the youngest if you've more than one). I'd be interested to know which seat people think is the safetst. Post your reasons if you can.

Personally, I think that the passenger side rear is the safest spot but having read some comments posted in the recent "VW Golf Airbag" thread, I'm not so sure any more so I'd like to hear other peoples points of view.

surely its the center rear... protect from side impact (both sides)...

spent a bit of time out in australia and center rear was the norm.
    reason... the child is in the center of the car is farthest from all danger.

also one could sit in the car while strapping in the child. this protects from been injured if sideswiped (both sides) and in this country keep ya dry when its raining down.
    we have also bought " www.windowsox.co.uk " this product... as well as protecting the child for the sun also protect from flying glass in the rear if in a accident.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

surely its the center rear... protect from side impact (both sides)...

This would not be possible in many cars as a lot of childseats require a three point seatbelt. Most cars only have a lap-type belt in the centre seat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 471 ✭✭Debracd

Most newer cars have 3 point seatbelts in the centre. And the Renault Kangoo 1.2L car version actually has Isofix in the rear centre seat, but not on the outer seats!

Deb

• Advertisement

This would not be possible in many cars as a lot of childseats require a three point seatbelt. Most cars only have a lap-type belt in the centre seat.

WHAT.... jezzzzus. i thought lap type belts were banned. Do car manufacturers still make cars with lap belts...this is unbilevable.
    given a choice i would never, never but a car with those back breaker belts fitted.
    Think Safety when buying a car.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,142 ✭✭✭TempestSabre

also one could sit in the car while strapping in the child. this protects from been injured if sideswiped (both sides) and in this country keep ya dry when its raining down....

Good point.

Not everyone has a new car or a car big enough to fit a seat in the center.

That's true Tempestsabre, depending on the width of the centre seat placing the carseat there could cause 'buckle crunch' which in itself is dangerous on impact as it can cause the seatbelt to release! It really is a case of doing what's best for you and your child depending on the circumstances :)

Deb

• Registered Users Posts: 3,247 ✭✭✭stevejazzx

Sorry to dig this out but one other think doesn't quite warrant a new thread but should the childs booster seat be straped into the actual carseat, ours sits in our car usually on the rear passenger side (although the rear middle sounds more logical) but the seat itself isn't strapped in, it sits into the car, then there is a little waist strap from the seat to secure the child and then the seatbelt from the car goes around this, someone recently told me it would safer to use a booster seat without a back, have the child(3year old) sit on this and then seatbelt him in? What way is safest?

Stevejazzx I don't quite get ya? Is it just one of the backless under the bum boosters?? If so they're not exactly the safest things on the market because they can come out from under the child in a crash(I'll pull up a crashtest on one when I get a chance!). Boosters with BACKS are alot safer as the seatbelt is threaded throught the back of the seat and the childs body(keeps the booster in place) and the booster(ensuring the seatbelt is at the safest point on the body) work together to keep the child safe in a crash.

I put up a post in a while ago with this years top carseats according to Which?. Check it out :)

Deb

• Advertisement

Debracd wrote:
    That's true Tempestsabre, depending on the width of the centre seat placing the carseat there could cause 'buckle crunch' which in itself is dangerous on impact as it can cause the seatbelt to release! It really is a case of doing what's best for you and your child depending on the circumstances :)

Deb
    so true... but i would prefer to alter my circumstances for the safety of my child.

safety of the child must come first

• Registered Users Posts: 3,247 ✭✭✭stevejazzx

Debracd wrote:
    Stevejazzx I don't quite get ya? Is it just one of the backless under the bum boosters?? If so they're not exactly the safest things on the market because they can come out from under the child in a crash(I'll pull up a crashtest on one when I get a chance!). Boosters with BACKS are alot safer as the seatbelt is threaded throught the back of the seat and the childs body(keeps the booster in place) and the booster(ensuring the seatbelt is at the safest point on the body) work together to keep the child safe in a crash.

I put up a post in a while ago with this years top carseats according to Which?. Check it out :)

Deb

Thanks for that...didn't make sense to me how a backless seat could be safter,
    re: threading the saetbelt through the childseat, I did see a report that suggested potential problems here such as it becoming far tight etc in the event of a crash. Once there is a bit of room between belt and and child I imagine this would be safe although I have seen people just put the seatbelt around the childseat?

Absolutely! But if you don't already have a car with 3 full back seats and can't afford to change it, then it wouldn't be best to put the bubs in the middle;)

Also, the centre seat in our car(Renault Scenic) doesn't have Isofix but we have 2 isofix seats. So I prefer using the Isofix on the outer seats rather than only using the seatbelt in a centre seat. It's just a case of doing what's best with what you have :)

Deb

Steve it really depends on the seat. Most of them have a 'loop' to thread the seatbelt through to ensure it's just above the childs shoulder(where it should be) so that it's lined up diagonally for the best protection and not cutting accross their neck which could be very dangerous!

The seatbelt then just works as a normal seatbelt in a car and isn't overly tight or anything :)

Deb

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

Debracd wrote:
    If so they're not exactly the safest things on the market because they can come out from under the child in a crash

Deb
    Very true - known as 'submarining'. It's something adults should take note of too. It happens with adults when the front of the seat is lower than the rear of the seat. The result is that in an accident the occupant slides down and out from the safety restraint. It is quite common in shorter people who reduce the height of the front of the seat in order to reach the pedals. However, most manufacturers don't offer seperate adjustment to the front and rear of the seat (Volvo are one manufacturer who do offer this feature)

When I say 'seat' I mean the bit you rest your backside on - the part you lean your back on is known as the backrest.

Those booster seats are very prone to submarining as they have no restraint - always go for a booster seat that incorporates a backrest - far safer for your most precious.

Hi Steve, here's the comparison Crash test as promised :)

http://www.concord.de/videos/crash_liftpro_dsl/crash_liftpro_dsl_mpeg.mpg

Deb

Deb, that's frightening - but true. If you think about it, there is no point in simply having the child sit on a booster that is more or less held in place by the childs weight. I've seen so many customers cars with that sort of booster and it makes no sense. When I point it out to them they don't seem to understand - I'll be showing that video to them from now on..............

I know it's desperate:( But the thing is that parents really think they're doing their bit by buying those booster because if they're allowed to be sold then they're considered safe! IMO they should be banned!

Debracd wrote:
    I know it's desperate:( But the thing is that parents really think they're doing their bit by buying those booster because if they're allowed to be sold then they're considered safe! IMO they should be banned!
    Who would one contact with regard to this in order to put forward these concerns with a view to banning them?

I have NO idea. Maybe the NSC would have info on it? Transport Minsister? Minister for Justice equality and law reform? Minister for Health? It could be covered under any of those or something entirely different! :confused:

• Advertisement

Something worth looking into, imo - maybe we could start a petition here and on IWOL?

Yup sounds good!

Just posted on IWOL, you do here ;)

If I get a chance I'll do some research. The real clincher is to identify how many serious injuries/death are caused DIRECTLY by the use of these seats in an accident situation - it might be a lot lower than we think. The video you provided shows a 90 degree impact, which, in reality is quite uncommon. I'd imagine they are perfectly safe in a frontal impact.

That's very true, but afaik that's how most side impact crashtests are done. I wonder where we'd get that info:confused:

One manufacturer does imact testing from ALL angles - you guessed it - VOLVO with thier pivoting test centre.

http://www.volvocars.com.my/FinancialServices/PlansPrograms/SafetyCentre.htm

http://www.beyondtomorrow.com.au/stories/ep4/volvo.html

Ohh Scrap that Peugeot! I wanna Volvo! lol

Oh yeah - the V70 is such a nice motor! Especially if you get one with the 3rd row of seats. Alternatively you could go mad and get an XC-90.....

http://www.volvocars.com.my/Showroom/XC90/

Good lord I'd have to remortgage! lol

• Advertisement

I know of a few that will be going cheap next year...............:D ;)

Advertisement