Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Multiple domains 1 website

Options
  • 30-06-2006 10:48am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭

Wondering what the best way to do this is....

I have a few domains

lets say www.mydomain.com www.mydomain.ie www.mydomain.co.uk

Right now I have a website setup with www.mydomain.com
    as the primary domain.

www.mydomain.ie and www.mydomain.co.uk
    are parked on this .com domain.

When i go to
    www.mydomain.ie It goes to the website ok - but it changes the url to .com
    I want to keep the .ie domain. in the address bar.
    Additionally the directory index is not in /
    it's in cgi-bin so the current .htaccess in / has DIrectory index set to /cgi-bin/myindex.cgi

The added advantage of parking is that the mail gets forwarded to the .com
    accounts I need to keep this.

So what's my best solution, I have played around with the .htaccess but not getting much luck...

Thanks

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Depends on where it's hosted. Some hosts will accomodate, some won't; some will offer domain aliasing, frame forwarding, or redirection (yours), or all of the above. Ask your host, or tell us where it's hosted and maybe we'll know.

adam

• Registered Users Posts: 9,847 ✭✭✭py2006

Hi,

You need to find a host that allows you use multiple domains. So basicially you have several websites on the one account.

Each domain points to a subfolder where you have a site contained! But the user sees your new domain rather than myothersite.mydomain.com

Does that make sense?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭egan007

Well I don't want multiple sites /subfolders - just the one site
    The site will pull the correct config files depending on the domin entered.
    I'll contact the host and ask about it. cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭mneylon

Sounds like all you need is a few pointers / aliases...

Contact whoever is hosting your site and ask them to sort you out

• Registered Users Posts: 2,157 ✭✭✭Serbian

You have to be a little bit careful here. When you visit the .ie and the .co.uk sites, do they present the same content as the .com site? If so, you could find yourself penalised by Google (and other search engines) for duplicate content.

If the pages are the same, I would recommend using a 301 redirect from the .ie and .co.uk pages to the .com address.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭egan007

The content will be different
    Depending on the domain that is typed the prices will be in different currency.
    Can you elaborate on 301 redirect?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

When the first word in an article about SEO is "fact", it's time to close the tab. There are no facts in SEO, only opinions; and 90% of those opinions are wishful thinking, attempts to look knowledgable, or complete and utter bullsh*t,

adam

• Registered Users Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭Rollo Tamasi

Ken Shabby wrote:
    There are no facts in SEO, only opinions; and 90% of those opinions are wishful thinking, attempts to look knowledgable, or complete and utter bullsh*t,

interesting! so only 10% of all SEO techniques work in your opinion!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭mneylon

Ken Shabby wrote:
    When the first word in an article about SEO is "fact", it's time to close the tab. There are no facts in SEO, only opinions; and 90% of those opinions are wishful thinking, attempts to look knowledgable, or complete and utter bullsh*t,

adam

So true :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭rsynnott

interesting! so only 10% of all SEO techniques work in your opinion!

Optimistically.

• Advertisement
Advertisement