Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Sony hints at higher priced games

• 30-06-2006 11:01am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,563 ✭✭✭

http://games.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=06/06/29/1956232

Sony's Kaz Hirai hints that, in addition to the $600 console, we may have even more expensive games to look forward to. From the Gamasutra article: "I don't think consumers expect software pricing to suddenly double. So, the quick answer is that we want to make it as affordable as possible, knowing that there is a set consumer expectation for what software has cost for the past twelve years. That's kind of the best answer I can give you. So, if it becomes a bit higher than $59, don't ding me, but, again, I don't expect it to be $100."

:rolleyes:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

saw this on another forum the other day.

sony can't win.

the guy comes out and says "look, the price may go up a little bit, but we're gonna make sure it doesn't go up.. we'll try to keep prices where they are" and people start bashing over the mere mention of $100 in a sentence, regardless of context

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,563 ✭✭✭quad_red

The said they'd make the console as affordable as possible!!

They're locking the games to one user (no selling on).

Saying that they're not going to double their prices or raise them past €100 is hardly saying they're not going to raise them.

I'm not mindlessly Sony bashing. But I do think charging an unprecedented amount for console, taking steps to stop people selling games on (something that has benefitted alot of gamers out there) and now prepping the way to raise game prices again is hard to swallow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭jay-me

I smell a boycotting session till the price drops sony are hungry pigs...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

quad_red wrote:
    Are they? I thought that was a bullsh!t rumour.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 999 ✭✭✭Noelie

quad_red wrote:

what ever about having high game costs, if they lock them so they can't be sold on, thats a bit of a kick in the teeth.
    Those this also mean you won't be able to rent games?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

So can we assume it's going to be $99.99 for a game then?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 52,004 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

The locking the games for 1 user is bullsh!t. However I wouldn't be surprised if sony raises the prices to 80+ euros to try and make back the huge losses they will make on the hardware.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭steviec

So the games will be a bit dearer, just like 360 games are dearer than xbox games then? Just like PS2 games were dearer than PS1 games? What a shock!

This argument seems to come up whenever a new console comes out. While a sudden hike of 10 or 20 quid in the average price of a game isn't pleasant, games haven't been rising in price nearly as quickly as wages or most other products over the last decade so I wouldn't panic too much. They're not gonna be 100 quid, they're gonna be 60-70 like 360 games are I imagine. And that will drop over the lifespan of the console too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 586 ✭✭✭The_g-man

play.com has ps3 games on pre-order for €80 each. And in the UK and Ireland, Sony aren't going to release the basic €600 model to begin with, only the high end model with HDMI connections and 60GB hard drive. This is also on pre-order with three games bundled in for €880.

http://play.com/Games/PlayStation3/RNR/3-/1021999/Gran_Turismo_HD/Product.html

http://play.com/Games/PlayStation3/STCS1/3-/1032615/Sony_Playstation_3_PS3_Console_With_60GB_HDD_3_Games/Product.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

play.com has ps3 games on pre-order for €80 each. And in the UK and Ireland, Sony aren't going to release the basic €600 model to begin with, only the high end model with HDMI connections and 60GB hard drive. This is also on pre-order with three games bundled in for €880.

http://play.com/Games/PlayStation3/R...D/Product.html

http://play.com/Games/PlayStation3/S...s/Product.html
    The basic model is €500, high end one is €600.

Its not unusual for companies to put placeholder prices in place. If they knew the games were going to be €80, we would know to. Somone would leak the info.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

this is exactly what i meant, sony cannot win at all... the only way for them to shut people up is to release the bloody thing
    quad_red wrote:
    The said they'd make the console as affordable as possible!!

no, they didn't. ken kutaragi came out and said you'll need a second job to get the thing
    quad_red wrote:

no, that was a rumour that came up twice, and both times it was shot down by sony
    quad_red wrote:
    Saying that they're not going to double their prices or raise them past €100 is hardly saying they're not going to raise them.

yes but a €10 price-hike isn't exactly the same as a €40 one. the games will retail about the same as a 360 title
    quad_red wrote:
    I'm not mindlessly Sony bashing. But I do think charging an unprecedented amount for console

no, but you're believing hype and rubbish coming from the inquirer (:D) and xbox fan forums. also, the price in modern US dollars is less then what an atari2600 was when it was released. it's not unprecedented at all

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭xanthor

Goodshape wrote:

IIRC, they have the 'technology' but haven't decided to use it yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭4Xcut

Goodshape wrote:
    Well you thought.....RIGHT. It is bull****.

O.T. They said a little more expensive than now, no difference to the titles for the XBOX 360 then, is it?

Advertisement