Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Package on the Doorstep

Options
  • 30-06-2006 11:06am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,610 ✭✭✭

I was leaving my house yesterday morning about 11ish when I found a parcel which had been posted from England sitting on the doorstep, usually if I am not in the postman leaves a note to collect parcels in the post office.

I was very angry over this as the parcel was valuable and could have been lifted by anyone or even rained on. I rang the post office to highlight the issue and was told by the post master that it should not have happened and he would have a word with the postman.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

Ok.

Best one of those I had was after ordering computer parts, nobody was home so the postman decided to toss the package over the side gate. Thank Christ for padded boxes...

• Registered Users Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

I can top that.

Arrived home to find one package on the doorstep, the other on the road outside my house!!!

Considered ringing the PO, then decided against. Don't want the f*cker to have a chip on his shoulder, or else all my post's getting ars*d before going through the leterbox.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

That reminds me of Dunnes Stores.. Friend of mine ordered her shopping for home delivery and she wasn't back on time... So the delivery boy left her bags on her door step and when she came home her shopping was torn all over her road by dogs.. She was livid, needless to say she went crazy at them and got a load of free shopping...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,678 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

xzanti wrote:
    That reminds me of Dunnes Stores.. Friend of mine ordered her shopping for home delivery and she wasn't back on time... So the delivery boy left her bags on her door step and when she came home her shopping was torn all over her road by dogs.. She was livid, needless to say she went crazy at them and got a load of free shopping...

lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

i was at home once waiting for a pc to be delivered. waited hours and lloked outside the door and there it was sitting there. the bastards wouldnt even knock on the door

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

I had something similar. When my Visa card expired and I was expecting the new one it the letter containing it was thrown into my garden. Wasn't even remotely near the door.

I suspected that it was probably like that so someone could come by later and pick it up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,744 ✭✭✭Táck

Mossy Monk wrote:
    i was at home once waiting for a pc to be delivered. waited hours and lloked outside the door and there it was sitting there. the bastards wouldnt even knock on the door

lol....

• Registered Users Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭irlrobins

Hobbes wrote:
    I suspected that it was probably like that so someone could come by later and pick it up.
    Cos that's much simplier than jsut giving it to someone?? :rolleyes:

My Dad works from home and gets a large number of parcels delivered weekly. SDS guy tried to be helpful and if no one was in he'd put parcels under one of the cars in the driveway and leave a note in the box. Save one of us having to trip up to the depot later.

We appreciated it. Maybe your postman was just trying to save you a trip. Can't please everyone I guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

dbnavan wrote:
    I was leaving my house yesterday morning about 11ish when I found a parcel which had been posted from England sitting on the doorstep, usually if I am not in the postman leaves a note to collect parcels in the post office.

I was very angry over this as the parcel was valuable and could have been lifted by anyone or even rained on. I rang the post office to highlight the issue and was told by the post master that it should not have happened and he would have a word with the postman.

is there anything you dont complain about?

oh, and how about using the consumer forum?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

I've never had An Post do this to me, but GLS have, more than once. The most notable time was when they delivered my package to the wrong house... and just left it on their doorstep, in the pissing rain. The owner of the house was on holidays at the time. I rang them to find out where the fuk my package was, and they insisted they had delivered it. Only found out it was at the neighbour's place when he came back from his holidays a week later and found a soggy cardboard box on his doorstep :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,775 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Not quite the same but...

We had just moved out into the country & my wife arrived home one afternoon to find a black refuse sack on the doorstep with five headless pigeons in it. She rang me in a bit of a state to ask whether she should call the cops or join a witness protection program to escape from the local Cosa Nostra? She assumed that we had been left the local equivalent of a "Luca Brazzi is sleeping with the fishes" message.

I had forgotten to tell her that one of our new neighbours had promised to bag me a bit of game as a "welcome to the locality" present. She didn't appreciate the humour in my forgetfulness.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭MOH

A few years ago I was living in a bedsit, bought two grand's worth of PC from Gateway. I was working 10 mins walk away and they agreed to phone me closer to the delivery time so I could go home for it. Needless to say they didn't call me.

Arrived home late and opened the front door of the building to find two large Gateway boxes sitting just inside. There were six or seven other flats in the building, any number of people must have walked past the stuff, lucky no-one threw it in the back of a car and drove off with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 383 ✭✭bullrunner

had something like that too...

My sisters degree came in an envelope that clearly had stated in bold red "do no bend.Pictures inside". What did the postman do? bent it in half so that it fit through the letterbox! Now my sisters degree has a bend mark down the middle of it.

The postmistress was queried on it and she just passed us off to the postman. He told us (and I quote) "I always do things like that for people so that they dont have to come down to the post office to pick up stuff.I even sign for things for them".....talk about digging you own grave deeper!! Couldnt believe it when i heard it...admitting to fraud!! dumbass

• Registered Users Posts: 4,185 ✭✭✭deadl0ck

I've seen stuff like this happen.

If it's an expensive delivery, make sure that it's sign-for only !

That way, even if they give it to somebody else on your behalf, you haven't signed for it and you can request a replacement, because you never signed for the delivery.

I ordered a Nintendo DS Lite from Lik-Sang and delivery was via DHL. It got from China to Ireland in 2 days. As soon as it arrived it "disappeared"....
    DHL Could never find it, so Lik-Sang sent another one with UPS (I refused DHL) and it arrived within a few days.

bullrunner wrote:

The postmistress was queried on it and she just passed us off to the postman. He told us (and I quote) "I always do things like that for people so that they dont have to come down to the post office to pick up stuff.I even sign for things for them".....talk about digging you own grave deeper!! Couldnt believe it when i heard it...

My postie's a good skin like that, doesn't bother disturbing you when you're at home, just drops the little leaflet telling you there's a package at the depot for you to collect in the letterbox and f*cks off.

Thanks mate, but if I wanted to do your job I'd apply to An Post...:mad:

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Stephen wrote:
    I've never had An Post do this to me, but GLS have, more than once. The most notable time was when they delivered my package to the wrong house... and just left it on their doorstep, in the pissing rain. The owner of the house was on holidays at the time. I rang them to find out where the fuk my package was, and they insisted they had delivered it. Only found out it was at the neighbour's place when he came back from his holidays a week later and found a soggy cardboard box on his doorstep :mad:

I can beat this hands down......
    I ordered a whole load of stuff from Komplett and chose to have it delivered by GLS. The updating of the tracking was a bit slow- so I didn't know the package was out for delivery until the afternoon after it had been loaded in a van. I rang the depot and asked them to hold it and either deliver it the following day or could I possibly collect it from them? They checked and said no, that they had already delivered it. I was more than a tad worried that it was left on my doorstep (as it was raining) but when I got home there was nothing there. It was Friday evening- so I couldn't do anything over the weekend. On Monday I called Komplett to complain- they were sympathetic and said they would take it up with GLS. Two days later at about 8PM in the evening two guys in suits knocked on my door- I peeked out first and saw they were Jehovah's Witnesses and decided not to open the door. I hid. They knocked again. 10 minutes later they were still there, so I relented and opened the door, prepared for an onslaught from them. They looked at me curiously and said they had something for me, would I come with them. I refused..... They explained. Apparently they were on their conversion work when the GLS delivery man came round and as they were both at my door at the same time he decided to leave my packages with them, as he thought they were trustworthy. It was quite bulky (a Lian-li computer case, a PSU, a motherboard and a load of other bits and pieces) so he drove to their rented apartment and left it there. I went with them to their house, and sure enough there was a massive box sitting in the middle of the spartan living room, with my name on it. 3 of them helped me carry it home (there were about 8 of them staying there).

I rang Komplett and told them what had happened. They didn't believe it was possible at first, but after confirming it with GLS were very nice about it (they refunded shipping and gave me a credit for again).

I cannot get over that GLS would have done something like that.

The Jehovah's Witnesses haven't called round to my door since......

smccarrick wrote:
    I ordered a whole load of stuff from Komplett and chose to have it delivered by GLS. The updating of the tracking was a bit slow- so I didn't know the package was out for delivery until the afternoon after it had been loaded in a van. I rang the depot and asked them to hold it and either deliver it the following day or could I possibly collect it from them? They checked and said no, that they had already delivered it. I was more than a tad worried that it was left on my doorstep (as it was raining) but when I got home there was nothing there. It was Friday evening- so I couldn't do anything over the weekend. On Monday I called Komplett to complain- they were sympathetic and said they would take it up with GLS. Two days later at about 8PM in the evening two guys in suits knocked on my door- I peeked out first and saw they were Jehovah's Witnesses and decided not to open the door. I hid. They knocked again. 10 minutes later they were still there, so I relented and opened the door, prepared for an onslaught from them. They looked at me curiously and said they had something for me, would I come with them. I refused..... They explained. Apparently they were on their conversion work when the GLS delivery man came round and as they were both at my door at the same time he decided to leave my packages with them, as he thought they were trustworthy. It was quite bulky (a Lian-li computer case, a PSU, a motherboard and a load of other bits and pieces) so he drove to their rented apartment and left it there. I went with them to their house, and sure enough there was a massive box sitting in the middle of the spartan living room, with my name on it. 3 of them helped me carry it home (there were about 8 of them staying there).

I rang Komplett and told them what had happened. They didn't believe it was possible at first, but after confirming it with GLS were very nice about it (they refunded shipping and gave me a credit for again).

POTM!

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭wailers_irl

smccarrick wrote:

Classic :D:D

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,252 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

smccarrick wrote:

I would say you are safe for a few years...:D

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

If it was my i'd be hanging around your door everyda for more free stuff.

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

If it's registered our postman rings the bell. If it's just a bit large he leaves it in the corner beside the door . last week we had a postwoman and she left a note telling us that there were two packages behind a flowerpot. Suits us - he usually calls around 7.30am.

Mainly I get large/bulky/valuable items sent to work - it saves hassle.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,208 ✭✭✭mel123

dbnavan wrote:

Ok they shouldnt have left it here, but it didnt get robbed and its not broken so whats the big deal???

• Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

My new Dell computer was on the doorstep when I arrived home one day!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,610 ✭✭✭dbnavan

mel123 wrote:
    Ok they shouldnt have left it here, but it didnt get robbed and its not broken so whats the big deal???

Answered ur own question there didnt you

• Registered Users Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Mountjoy Mugger

Dub13 wrote:
    I would say you are safe for a few years...:D

I'd say he was converted the first time.. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Never had too many problems, I always leave delivery instructions when ordering anything or just ship it to me at work. The postie did leave a small package I had been waiting for a long time in the shed at the back (wedged between the rafters and the roof for some reason) of the house once. I waited for weeks until I gave him a call to see if he knew anything about it, then he told me where it was. :)

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Ruu wrote:
    Never had too many problems, I always leave delivery instructions when ordering anything or just ship it to me at work. The postie did leave a small package I had been waiting for a long time in the shed at the back (wedged between the rafters and the roof for some reason) of the house once. I waited for weeks until I gave him a call to see if he knew anything about it, then he told me where it was. :)

Thats insane tbh, luckily I;ve had very little problems...get all packages deleivered to work as its the handiest

• Moderators Posts: 6,861 ✭✭✭Spocker

bullrunner wrote:
    My sisters degree came in an envelope that clearly had stated in bold red "do no bend.Pictures inside". What did the postman do? bent it in half so that it fit through the letterbox! Now my sisters degree has a bend mark down the middle of it.

Had something similar.. I was sent a 12" record by post, in cardboard packaging just a bit bigger than the record itself. It had been neatly folded in half to fit in the 8" wide letterbox... :(

I didn't really mind cause it was a freebie, but it does take a bit of effort to break one, wonder what the postie thought when he heard it snap :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,202 ✭✭✭Tazz T

Every time I've had something registered delivered, they have never rang the bell (my gf is always into collect) or left the package. They simply leave one of those notes saying I have to pick it up.

Recently they sent 304 euros worth of gig tickets back to Germany instead of just posting it thru the letterbox. Of course, when I got to the gig they said the tickets had not been returned.

AnPost is bloody inefficient, far too expensive and shoiuld be disbanded or privatised.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Tazz T wrote:
    AnPost is bloody inefficient, far too expensive and shoiuld be disbanded or privatised.

Yes, I'll second that.
    I paid E65 for expedited shipping and insurance for my laptop back to London on the 12th of December last year. By 1.02.06 it still had not arrived. I queried it with An Post they first of all denied that I had posted it with them, but when I presented the receipt they then changed their minds and said that I should never have been offered the service as Lucan Post Office did not collect SDS packages. They tried to trace the package and failed (as it was only ever scanned in Lucan Postoffice). They refused to offer compensation while they investigated- which included ringing up the workshop of the company where it had been sent for repair. The company refused to talk to them under data protection rules. Eventually, by mid April the laptop turned up. An Post offered to refund the postage to me "as obviously you did not receive the service for which you paid". I accepted the money back- as there is precious little point in trying to pursue it in other manners.

Advertisement