Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why buy a DVD Upscaler?

• 30-06-2006 11:06am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 152 ✭✭

I recently bought the Samsung Upscaler DVD, I haven't used it yet so not sure what it will be like. I needed a DVD player as my old one was packing it in, so no big deal. However I also bought a 40" HD Ready LCD, I haven't received this yet either, I will post a review once it's all setup. My question is are these upscaler's another gimmick, I do know the LCD has scaling built in, so am I not simply doubling up on re-scaling technology and wont see any benefits? Does anyone know are they a waste of money?

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

I benched my old Sony DVD player against a new Sony upscaler and there was definate improvement, mind you my old DVD player did not have progressive scan or HDMI output

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

YoYOPowder wrote:
    My question is are these upscaler's another gimmick....

Yes and no. It depends entirely on the quality of the Scaler and processor in the display.
    YoYOPowder wrote:
    ...I do know the LCD has scaling built in, so am I not simply doubling up on re-scaling technology and wont see any benefits?

Essentially yes, you are doubling up, but you are comparing the quality of the scaler in the DVD player compared to the one in the Display.
    YoYOPowder wrote:
    Does anyone know are they a waste of money?

It is only a waste if the scaler in the display is the same or better than that in the DVD player.

Of course, this is ignoring the quality of the DVD player entirely. You could have bought a €50 powerpoint and used the scaler in the Display but the quality of the picture (even without using the scaler) will probably be better in the Samsung. Not to mention a better looking machine and probably better longer lasting components.

The other benifit of the good DVD player is the connections that it offers to your amp. The audio and vidio will probably be less noisy too.

All in all, I believe they are a good machine.

L.

Advertisement