Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Wireless Router - Recommendations

• 30-06-2006 11:37am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭

Can some1 recommend me a router for my mothers house. Fairly big house (3000 sq ft) Nothin fancy needed, just to allow her use net while watchin corrie. Just for net, she not be streamin media. She gettin bb 2day, dunno if its always on or dialup. Lappy has wifi card. There some in Argos cat, are they ne good. Recommendations pls. :D

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭irlrobins

Well prob best to see what sorta connection she gets. If she gets BB it might come with a wireless modem. Also different routers are suited for different connections (ie DSL, cable, FWA, etc).

But as a rule Linksys, Dlink and Netgear are good. Avoid Belkin, they're shit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Its wireless bb. like what i got. they put receiver on chimney & wire it down. All u get is ethernet connection 2 plug in.

You'll need a router with a RJ-45 (ethernet) Wan port so. I'd recommend Linksys WRT54G.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭MunsterCycling

2nded ;)

Cheers all. I'l get my plastic on the job.:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

Be warned, the WRT54G ain't what it used to be.

I'd also recommend non-Belkin products. If it's a big old house (i.e. not cardboard walls like you get these days) you may also benefit from a larger aerial than the standard ones you usually get with routers - there's a bit of a selection of aerials in Maplin.

yea avoid Ver. 5 of the wrt54g. Or get the wrt54GL.

irlrobins wrote:
    yea avoid Ver. 5 of the wrt54g. Or get the wrt54GL.

Ordered this yest before your post. Cant see what version it is. Will i be ok?

http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.asp?sku=306148#accessories

Doesn't give version number on the site. So guess u won't know till you get it. But don't fear, ver 5 could well be perfect for your needs. Just some people feel it can't perform as well as previous versions and you can't put third party firmware on it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭djmarkus

dont get a dlink, they're web interface is so bad

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,077 ✭✭✭parasite

irlrobins wrote:
    Doesn't give version number on the site. So guess u won't know till you get it. But don't fear, ver 5 could well be perfect for your needs. Just some people feel it can't perform as well as previous versions and you can't put third party firmware on it.

you can put dd-wrt on a v5 now, albeit a micro version, although they perform just fine for the vast majority of people with the stock firmware

indeed. I have a ver 2. No need for anything other than linksys firmware on it. I don't need bells or whistles or to boost output power. Does what I need it to so, no need to fiddle.

OP, don't stress! You should be fine! :D

Will it take long set it up? never done it before. Will i enable security before i set it up or get it set up 1st?

couple of mins. Just follow instructions. Leave off encryption until ur happy it's working and laptops can connect to internet,etc. Then you can enable it.

cheers m8. been great help. hopefully i'l have it mid week, dont know how fast Komplett get their orders out.

no worries. post back if u have probs

Just a question. Will i need a second pc to set up router ie. 1 only have connection & lappy. Will i need to borrow another lappy to connect directly to router to set up network?

Nope, jsut connect router to laptop using cable and configure it. Then connect it to the Broadband and connect to it using wireless or whatever suits.

Nice1. Cheers m8. :D

Advertisement