Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Untimely death of Caroline Kearney

• 30-06-2006 11:43am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 452 ✭✭

IRELAND'S top female triathlete has died during a training session on a mountain road in the south of France.

Beijing Olympic hopeful Caroline Kearney (24) was killed when a car collided with the group of cyclists she was riding with at St Raphael on the coast road near Nice at around 6.35pm on Wednesday evening.

The sudden and tragic death of the full-time athlete sent shock waves through Irish sport last night. Sports Minister John O'Donoghue described Caroline as "an exceptional young athlete" and national champion.

He added: "She was determined to fulfill her ambition of representing Ireland at the Beijing Olympics, an ambition well within her capacity."

Last night French police were trying to establish the precise cause of the accident which also involved two other cyclists from the Montpelier Club with which Caroline was involved.

The driver of the car was arrested and is being questioned about the incident.

Caroline, of Cois Inbhir, Donabate, Co Dublin, was the daughter of Frank and Ann Kearney and has one sister, Edith.

Her mother, also a famous triathlete and one of the pioneers of the sport in Ireland, died two years ago.

A friend said last night: "Caroline was very close to her."

John Cunniffe, of Triathlon Ireland, said Caroline was Ireland's best hope of getting a place in the 2008 Olympic Games.

He added: "She was a dedicated and professional athlete and we are all gutted. We are trying all we can to support her family the best we can."

Last night arrangements were being made to bring her remains home.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,330 ✭✭✭✭Amz

May she rest in peace.

My sympathies go out to her family and friends. She was a great and dedicated athlete.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,522 ✭✭✭daymobrew

I was so looking forward to seeing Caroline in the Olympics.
    I used to see her (many minutes ahead of me) at the Phoenix Park duathlons (btw, tonight's duathlon is cancelled out of respect).

Funeral details at Triathlon Ireland site.

Advertisement