Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

If you were dying would you...................

Options
  • 30-06-2006 11:44am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Funsterdelux

..........send for a priest, to give you your last rights, I know if someone tryed to do it for me, i'd send for the shotgun!

Except theres always people who, when the hour is approaching they seem to find their faith again, would you?

On your death bed you you send for......... 36 votes

The Parish priest, or equal religion wise.
    0% 0 votes
    Nobody send everyone away, and die in pease.
    0% 0 votes
    The doctor, thinking he/she'll save you
    5% 2 votes
    Your favourite food/drink/smoke
    19% 7 votes
    All your loved ones
    19% 7 votes
    Other
    55% 20 votes

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

..........send for a priest, to give you your last rights, I know if someone tryed to do it for me, i'd send for the shotgun!

hell no!
    but I would send someone to the Offie for a bottle of vodka, martini and malibu

• Closed Accounts Posts: 173 ✭✭scrattletrap

I've gotten this far in my life without a priest, I most certainly won't be calling on one in the end. (hopefully I won't be on my deathbed in my born-again friends house because she will call one, ah poor deluded girl is always trying to convert me)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

On his death-bed, Voltaire snapped back at a priest who asked him to renounce Satan. "Now, now, my good man, this is no time for making enemies."

• Registered Users Posts: 6,737 ✭✭✭Asiaprod

Beruthiel wrote:
    hell no!

:) I would buy the oldest bottle of Single Malt I could find and drink every last drop.....then I would depart.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 563 ✭✭✭robnubis

Well tbh if you are an atheist, and on your death bed, dont cop out and get a priest, be original, get a tibetan ninja monk to punch you to death. :D

I myself am atheist, but i dont make a big deal out of it. I just plain dont beleive in Gods...not my bag baby. im still spiritual and all that though, but i dont see how a normal human can get you into heaven( or whatever the **** is waiting for us) by saying a few words? BS tbh.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

I don't think the question is that easy to answer.
    Perhaps Pascal's Wager might be looking more reasonable on your deathbed...

Therefore I'll repost when I'm on the way out. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 630 ✭✭✭MagnumForce

Beruthiel wrote:
    hell no!

Nah id go for Vodka, Kahlua, milk and some ice, mix me up some white russians baby!! they'll send you to heaven for sure!!

I wouldnt send for a preist, god no. mind you Ive been atheist all my life so ive nothing to revert to or anything like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Funsterdelux

I don't think the question is that easy to answer.
    Perhaps Pascal's Wager might be looking more reasonable on your deathbed...

Therefore I'll repost when I'm on the way out. :D

Im more interested in his triangle

• Closed Accounts Posts: 630 ✭✭✭MagnumForce

actually, id call for Keira Knightley...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,437 ✭✭✭Crucifix

actually, id call for Keira Knightley...
    It's worth a shot.

Nah, I guess I'd call for a laptop and a net connection so I could post my dying words on boards.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

Bleh.... the afterlife is the bit of religion that I hate the most so I don't think I'd be calling for anyone to help me get into one...

Also... my death is most likely going to be quick and pointless.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

I'm with billy connolly on this one, if I know when I'm going to die... heroin all the way.

Damned if i'm going out sober.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Call for a priest? Call for my laptop and a bottle of coke more like. :)

A priest no, a buddhist monk yes...

• Registered Users Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

Are you allowed to call for one of those green dancing slave girls from Star Trek?

I'm sure you're allowed, you'd just be a while waiting :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,857 ✭✭✭Valmont

tbh wrote:
    On his death-bed, Voltaire snapped back at a priest who asked him to renounce Satan. "Now, now, my good man, this is no time for making enemies."

I read a good bit of Voltaire's philosophical dictionary and I got the idea that he truly believed in God and was quite religious.

Did he lose his faith later on or have I just got the wrong end of the stick?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,807 ✭✭✭Calibos

In my deathbead I reckon I probably will have second thoughts about my life long atheism. I will definately call for a priest................no no a Rabbi.....eh no make that a tibetan buddist monk......actually Tom Cruise....er.....nah, make it an imam.......witch doctor?................pagan priestess?....er druid...........pastor........reverand.......animist shaman?......er shinto buddist monk.......

Ah, I'll make my mind up when the time comes! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 23,283 ✭✭✭✭Scofflaw

As far as I remember, there are several "statements of faith" you can make, without any requirement for a priest or other intercessor - the Krishna one comes to mind, but there are others, all of which are sufficient to get you straight into various heavens.

Would I use them? I don't know - if I were on my own, almost certainly! In company, probably not. I think I'm right to be an atheist, but I don't have some kind of guarantee.

Worth a poll?

cordially,
    Scofflaw

• Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Funsterdelux

Is it worth a poll, we need a poll to find out if we need a poll, Im confused.

What should the poll options by then?

You decide!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭MrB

Scofflaw wrote:
    As far as I remember, there are several "statements of faith" you can make, without any requirement for a priest or other intercessor - the Krishna one comes to mind, but there are others, all of which are sufficient to get you straight into various heavens.

But if it turns out the RCs where right all along you've just guaranteed yourself an eternity in Hell.
    On the other hand if the RCs are right then your screwed anyway so what's the harm!

Personally if it turns out there is a Hell I'm going to complain to the management :D

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭uncle ernie

Valmont wrote:
    I read a good bit of Voltaire's philosophical dictionary and I got the idea that he truly believed in God and was quite religious.

never let beliefs get in the way of a good quote...Voltaire knew this

• Registered Users Posts: 23,283 ✭✭✭✭Scofflaw

MrB wrote:
    But if it turns out the RCs where right all along you've just guaranteed yourself an eternity in Hell.
    On the other hand if the RCs are right then your screwed anyway so what's the harm!

Personally if it turns out there is a Hell I'm going to complain to the management :D

Well, you have to do the Christian one first (just accept Christ, I think), because thou shalt have no other gods before Him...

cordially,
    Scofflaw

• Registered Users Posts: 4,905 ✭✭✭Aard

Unless he's a friend I won't be calling a priest. I'd just get as many of my friends together as possible. And possible bitch and moan about those who don't show up.

:\

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,838 ✭✭✭Doomspell

Mordeth wrote:
    I'm with billy connolly on this one.

Hell ya ;) But seriously, I would either call a doctor or friends/family to help me. I don't want to think about it. I've got a long long way to go yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 123 ✭✭Dg101

I'd call a priest, a rabbi, an imam, every religion I could think of. May as well cover all your bases. Nothing to lose really.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

Valmont wrote:

Voltaire was a deist, which essentially means that logic and rationality should be the basis for a belief in God. So he could be seen as spiritual, while remaining a ferocious critic of Christianity. Deists reject the notion of divine revelations, and hence the bible, and hence the Devil or Hell.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Both Your favourite food/drink/smoke and All your loved ones.

Or if I really could choose, a heart attack sandwiched between two sex godesses :D

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Yeah I'd send for a priest so I could make him tell he's God I'm coming and I'm none too happy about the colon cancer the bastard gave me.

I would say my family would send for one though and I would go along with it just to make them happy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,247 ✭✭✭✭6th

robnubis wrote:
    Well tbh if you are an atheist, and on your death bed, dont cop out and get a priest, be original, get a tibetan ninja monk to punch you to death. :D

Damn the number of times i've actually laughed out loud is rising slowly!

As for me i'd get the family in. I can understand wanting to be alone so as not to burden the family with the sight but I really cant see why someone would want a priest with them as opposed to their family?

Family or noone .... ok maybe the tibetan ninja monk.

Advertisement