Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Carphone Warehouse w**kers

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭bking

water damage doesn't show on the outside. its not something they're wrong about really. they generally send back a photo of very obvious corrosion on the circuit board.

Phone back working perfectly after a trip through Bosco's Magic Door (the hot press). If there was corrosion on the circuit board that rendered the phone BER, I doubt this would have worked. Seems like they looked at the indicator (which, I'd imagine shows some signs of moisture in most phones) and used it as a cop-out. Does this mean I shouldn't use my phone if it's a hot, humid day, or an overcast day (in case it rains), or a rainy day? THink that about covers all Irish weather! So I've 2 choices, live in a bubble (hey, it looked cool when Bart did it) or buy a callcard (old skool cool?).

• Registered Users Posts: 40,173 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

I'm sure Car Phone Warehouse are just as good or bad as the rest of the phone companies but they did once come up with one of the worst excuses of all time.

A couple of years ago my sister purchased a brand new phone off them, the phone was completely gimped, every time you went to send a text message the phone would restart.

She brought the phone back in and was informed by the eager and informed 18 year old that she knew exactly what the problem was. Wait for it:

George W. Bush was in Dromoland and his security were using sophisticated jamming devices thus rendering 'some' mobile phones useless.

Get this, after my sister gut laughed for 5 minutes, the girls 19 year old colleague backed her up.

Is there anything people won't blame Bush for!!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭Pythia

Buceph wrote:
    But that's the very point I make. There are very, very few places that you can safely bring a phone if you want to reasonably avoid water damage.

Inside, and when it's not raining basically.
    Normal, day to day activities.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

bking wrote:
    Phone back working perfectly after a trip through Bosco's Magic Door (the hot press). If there was corrosion on the circuit board that rendered the phone BER, I doubt this would have worked. Seems like they looked at the indicator (which, I'd imagine shows some signs of moisture in most phones) and used it as a cop-out.
    i wouldn't call it a cop out. once a phone has water damage, only 1 in a 100* will ever work properly again. its not in their interests to try to fix it with a 1 in 100 chance of the repair working.

*that's an estimate. please don't ask for statistics

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭Garth

Used to work with a guy who fixed phones and in the beginning he would try and fix water damaged ones. No point. Every single one of them would be back in within the week saying it wasn't working.

A few months ago I was in a phone shop and saw this wagon goin off her head at some kid behind the counter saying her child didn't water damage his phone and was he calling her child a liar? The kid was about 7 and obviously terrified of his freaky prostitute mother, of course he'd lie. Jesus some people are stupid.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Zambrotta

Yeah I worked in a phone shop we were always told to send them to be repaired but never offer a refund. We had to be such w$*ker about it. Even if they had been sent to be repaired loads of time we would still not give them a new phone. But that will teach you to by Motorolla, they are crap. I had the same experience with an L6 only the battery was crap.It is like everything else in the country, we get shafted while they get rich. Anyway check out my site
    giveoutabout.com and tell people about.

Zambrotta

• Registered Users Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭Gillo

Boggles wrote:
    I'm sure Car Phone Warehouse are just as good or bad as the rest of the phone companies but they did once come up with one of the worst excuses of all time.
    I've seen Meteor beat that, I was down in one of their stores about two months ago, and customer was there complaining that the battery life was only half what it should be. The ever helpfull guy behind the counter explained that if you turned th ephone off at night, you would double your battery life.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

Buceph wrote:
    But that's the very point I make. There are very, very few places that you can safely bring a phone if you want to reasonably avoid water damage.
    Pythia wrote:
    Inside, and when it's not raining basically.
    Normal, day to day activities.

Also as I pointed out you could just buy a case.

Where did the idea that phones should be invulnerable to moisture arise, anyway?

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭sambora

Commander Vimes, do you work for CPW. You seem to be defending it a lot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,390 ✭✭✭Stench Blossoms

Just want to say that I think the Carphone Warehouse are very helpful. Bought an 8800 there about a month ago and it broke and I went in and explained and they gave me a new one the next day.

Now o2 on the other hand... ahhhh!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

sambora wrote:
    Commander Vimes, do you work for CPW. You seem to be defending it a lot.
    no but i did work in a phone shop and i had to deal with people with moisture damaged phones quite often

Advertisement