Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

3-4K Car Recommendations. Astra, Megane etc

Options
  • 30-06-2006 1:11pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 905 ✭✭✭

Hey all,
    Looking to get a car in the 3-4k price range. I've been looking and leaning toward 98-99 Astras and half looking toward Meganes.

I'm looking for something with a bit of space but not a monster. 1.4-1.6

Is there anything else I should look around for?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

Been driving a megane classic now for 2 months, nice car loads of room and not the slowest(1.6e). The newer 1.6 16v have a bit more poke too. Never had any problems with mine(was my dads before). Bought on 30,000 miles and is on 105,000 now and all it needed was a timing belt change and a new map sensor.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,393 ✭✭✭BrianD3

mloc123 wrote:
    Been driving a megane classic now for 2 months, nice car loads of room and not the slowest(1.6e). The newer 1.6 16v have a bit more poke too.
    Yep, and the newer 1.4 16v has slightly more power than the 1.6 8v.
    1.4 8v 75 bhp
    1.4 16v 95 bhp
    1.6 8v 90 bhp
    1.6 16v 110 bhp (think this was only available with the auto gearbox)

The pre facelift cars (1996-1999) has the 8v engines. Most of the facelift Meganes (1999-2002) have the 1.4 16v engine although the 1.4 8v continued in some models.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,991 ✭✭✭✭Stark

The early 00s era Meganes were very nice cars imo, much nicer than the more modern(post '04) Meganes in fact. They were also very light compared to the new models so if you get one with a 16v engine, it would be quite nippy.

I would go for a 1.6 8v energy engine over a 1.4 16v, cheaper to service and maintain. Its a bit like a diesel tho' only revs to 5k but has good even torque from the start.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,455 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

hard enough to find a 1.8 though,

• Advertisement

sorry should have been 1.6

• Registered Users Posts: 51,243 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

The facelifted Megane I from late 1999 onwards had a new 1.4 litre 16 valve engine which had nearly 100bhp. They have alot less gremlins than the new type Megane and can be snapped up very cheap these days:

http://www.carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=433172
    http://www.carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=412793

If you need a bit more space also have a look at the Laguna I:
    http://www.carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=449108
    http://www.carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=453578

don't settle for a low spec one. there are loads of high spec and special editions for sale,

• Registered Users Posts: 2,423 ✭✭✭pburns

We had a '97 Megane in the family & it was the biggest piece of crap ever, especially electrics.

I won't go into a Francophobe rant...

pburns wrote:

Nor will I, I just look terribly biassed toward Jap metal if I do!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,467 ✭✭✭smemon

bought a '00 1.4l megane hatchback for €4k 2 months ago.

i find it pretty nippy, not too small, not too big, has a good safety record.

passed the nct 1st time last month and has served me well so far :)

colm_mcm wrote:
    Nor will I, I just look terribly biassed toward Jap metal if I do!

It was replaced with a Mitsubishi Carisma, which I expected to be a pile of crap - and do you know - it's not that bad at all...

Actually I stay away from these threads usually 'cos I'll just advise someone to buy a Toyota/Mazda/Honda/Nissan rather than most European makes.

colm_mcm - are u in some way connected to an offical dealership or s/h cars, if it's OK to ask?

pburns wrote:
    colm_mcm - are u in some way connected to an offical dealership or s/h cars, if it's OK to ask?

Both actually!

pburns wrote:
    We had a '97 Megane in the family & it was the biggest piece of crap ever, especially electrics.

What electrics went wrong? What engine did you get? not the 1.4 8v I would hope.

mloc123 wrote:
    What electrics went wrong? What engine did you get? not the 1.4 8v I would hope.

No, a '97 1.6.

Initially the elec windows/mirrors. Speedo went, as did mileage odometer.

After about 100,000 miles, it just stopped. Local mechanic couldn't get it going. Even the Renault garage, with the aid of diagnostics, had a tough time with it. Horrible car to drive as well IMO, I've driven Massey Fergusons that were less agricultural. We had a Rover that was run to 130,000 miles in the '90's, it was far superior.

Maybe I'm a bit biased but I wouldn't touch a Renault with a barge pole.

was it well looked after? seems everyones experience is different. Like I said 1.6 megane now on 105k and no problems with it. Good fun to drive imo, nice torque and a 'bit' of power.

mloc123 wrote:
    was it well looked after? seems everyones experience is different. Like I said 1.6 megane now on 105k and no problems with it. Good fun to drive imo, nice torque and a 'bit' of power.

Yes, it was serviced regularly. I'm gonna stop bashing now...

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭GenericName

I see the Astra was mentioned in the thread title. Anyone got any thoughts on these?

I'm looking at cars in pretty much the same market as the OP. Something bigger than a Corsa, 1.4l and around €4-5000.

Right now I'm thinking of going for the Astra. Any reasons why not? I've read in various places that it's common for the head gasket to go at 80,000 miles. Anything else?

Also, after being forced to learn to drive in my dads Scenic, which was bought deliberately for the insurance friendly but painfully underpowered 1.4l I'd like something that feels a bit faster. Would the 16v 1.4l Megane be better here?

I can't see how looking after and servicing a Renault is going to stop electrical faults

• Registered Users Posts: 2,203 ✭✭✭Heyes

Op look at my thread on motors for sale

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭icemanjimbo04

Any thing from Japan.

Honda civic,
    Mitsubishi Lancer,
    Toyota Carrola,
    Nissan Almera,

or an aul Micra :D

Wouldnt get an astra not good to drive and the Megan is too unreliable.

colm_mcm wrote:
    I can't see how looking after and servicing a Renault is going to stop electrical faults

I forgot you were such a renault expert :rolleyes:

I'm not a Renault exprert, perhaps you can tell me the relationship between not servicing a car and the odometer, electric windows and mirrors going on the blink.

I'd only be familiar with other brands where these faults are unrelated to maintainance and servicing and as such would be fairly uneducated with Renaults complicated wiring.
    Perhaps they are programmed to give random electrical faults if you don't adhere to the service schedule?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 905 ✭✭✭Ay Cee

I'm generally one for the "German or Japanese" but I thought there has to be other options. :)

I'm aware of the Megane problems but kind of hope they were just an unlucky few rather the norm.

I have to say I really like the look of the Astras. It seems to hold a certain sporty kind of look while not over doing it.

I'm not looking for anything bullet fast. Although I'd like something where I know if I drop a gear it'll do enough...if you know what I mean.

without wishing to sound like a broken record but:

If you look at pretty much every major reliability and customer satisfaction survey and if you ask any independant mechanic or taxi driver (people who actually know about cars) what they think of Renaults, you will find that they give lots of problems. It's fact. Renaults have their strong points, but reliability isn't one of them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭junkyard

colm_mcm wrote:
    without wishing to sound like a broken record but:

If you look at pretty much every major reliability and customer satisfaction survey and if you ask any independant mechanic or taxi driver (people who actually know about cars) what they think of Renaults, you will find that they give lots of problems. It's fact. Renaults have their strong points, but reliability isn't one of them.

Renaults are rubbish and I'm talking personally here. If you want proof P.M. me and I'll reel off pages of case histories for you. I used to supply the f**king things as fleet cars untill I got sense.:(

It's acceptable to slag Fiat off, but not Renault?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,203 ✭✭✭Heyes

colm_mcm wrote:
    It's acceptable to slag Fiat off

Nah you cant :p

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭GenericName

Ay Cee wrote:
    I have to say I really like the look of the Astras

Me too, though I was almost ashamed to admit it!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 905 ✭✭✭Ay Cee

I have to say, when i was thinking of getting something different an Astra never even came to mind. Only a friend mentioned it to me I would never have thought of it.

Barring a test drive I was all but decided on the Astra then.

Checked one out yesterday and I'm picking it up tonight. Yay me. Lovely car.

Advertisement