Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FAO Webhosts & Apache/FTP Lovers

Options
  • 30-06-2006 1:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭

I have a hosting package with a large hoster from Holland and i have major FTP problems with them.

Sometimes i can upload, other times i can't. I can be uploading about 1meg of files and then i get errors in fillezilla saying critical transfer error and all that lark. If i shut down the FTP connection and then start it up again, the same thing happens straight away with any file transfers. Now this bit is odd....If i go into my hosting control Panel (Plesk on RedHat) and change my FTP password to something else i can make an FTP connection after that. However, after uploading approx 1meg once more i get the same errors. The only way to upload files for me at the moment is to keep resetting my FTP password.

I have contacted the webhost about this and they are less than helpfull. They tell me that they 'can't duplicate this issue', which means that whenever they have tested FTP on their end it works fine.

I posted this up in the computers forum before but i got nowhere. Here is my post from then
    I'm having problems trying to get files and folders onto my server. The server is apache and the files i'm uploading are php/gif/png/jpeg/mp3/html pages.

I was uploading a directory of php scripts and it gets to 95% and shows that approx 5 php files are wating to be uploaded but they never get onto the server, the connection times out after 3 failled retrys, it's always the same scripts that have the problem too. If i break the connection and retry with just those files i get the same problem.

Im running Win2K, have my firewall disabled, my router is allowing FTP traffic, i have tried two different FTP clients, WS_FTP & Filezilla, i have uploaded the same scripts to another server without trouble. A mate tried to upload the same scripts and he encountered the same problems as me (he is on chorus i'm on eircom) All the files and folders on the server are CHMOD777. There are no torrent/p2p apps running. Just firefox and the ftp programs.

I'm getting download transfers of 200kb ps on 3meg Broadband so i know my connection is working (edit, i just did a broadband speed test and i got a QOS of 5% - Upload 61kb Download 200kb, but i doubt that's causing the problem, is it?)

Do you think it's something with the webhost/some apache config files that is causing the problem?

I don' know what the problem is. Any ideas?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Jaden

Two things:

Under Filezilla, G to Edit/Settings/File Transfer Settings/Ascii\Binary and Force Binary as the default transfer type.

Second.

When a transfer stalls, pause it, and then restart it (Right-Clicking will do all this), see if it goes through. If it does, let me know.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭Rollo Tamasi

Hi Jaden,
    Jaden wrote:

Under Filezilla, G to Edit/Settings/File Transfer Settings/Ascii\Binary and Force Binary as the default transfer type.

will try that
    Jaden wrote:
    When a transfer stalls, pause it, and then restart it (Right-Clicking will do all this), see if it goes through. If it does, let me know.

done that before, no joy

• Registered Users Posts: 2,031 ✭✭✭colm_c

Can you upload to another ftp account?

It may be down to some kind of weird routing issue. Also do a tracert to the location to see if it's stalling anywhere along the line...

Maybe try to upload the files using the filemanager in the control panel?

Advertisement