Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tyre pressures

Options
  • 30-06-2006 1:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭

Probably a stupid question.

How do you know if the tyre pressure is correct on your bike... should front and back be almost rock hard?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭keizer

StaggerLee wrote:
    Probably a stupid question.

How do you know if the tyre pressure is correct on your bike... should front and back be almost rock hard?

i put 120 psi in both front and back

• Registered Users Posts: 646 ✭✭✭vigos

StaggerLee, if you have a track pump it will have a guage on it. The tyre pressure is usually stated on the sidewall of your tyres.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 rabidspud

would it not be marked on the tyre?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭Be The Holy

On tyre pressure, I have a typical cheap pump that really doesnt give the same tyre pressure as you get when you buy a new bike or have left it in for service no matter how much you pump. Can anyone recommend a pump that would give that type of pressure and how much they typically cost?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,946 ✭✭✭BeardyGit

BBB make a nice enough track pump. I've also seen a pretty decent Topeak one (Joe Blow I think it's called) but the best in my opinion is the Zefal track pump - Around 40 quid, maybe a couple of quid less. It's all metal with a retro wooden handle. I got it in Joe Daly's in Dundrum (close to the LUAS stop on the mainstreet) and that was based on their recommendation. The carry others too, all the same price range but the Zefal is the best built and the one they've used themselves for years.

BTW, always check the side of the tyre - 120psi won't exactly do much for you on a mountainbike!!!

Cheers,

Gil

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,501 ✭✭✭daymobrew

At less than e18, I find the Topeak Master Blaster Mini Pump great. It has a pressure guage and pumps to 120psi.
    Mine (bought in US) came with a frame attachment. I carry it all the time.
    A track pump will probably pump faster and a bit easier but it's not portable.

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭ciaranr

You can use a petrol station pump for a quick, easy pump with an accurate pressure indication but just be careful not to blow yo' tyre up in yo' face, mmm metal shards...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,481 ✭✭✭Morgan

Metal tyres? Rubber shards surely.

Advertisement