Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Flat battery - how to hill start an automatic?

Options
  • 30-06-2006 2:36pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 20

Anyone know? Is it even possible?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

robo1 wrote:
    Anyone know? Is it even possible?

It's not, I'm afraid. An automatic has a torque converter, so turning the wheels won't turn the engine.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

D'oh. Ignore me. Missed the "automatic" part

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭andrew_ireland

Don't even think about it! Push/Hill starting an automatic can serioiusly fcuk the transmission.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,422 ✭✭✭Avns1s

Anan1 wrote:
    It's not, I'm afraid. An automatic has a torque converter, so turning the wheels won't turn the engine.

100% correct. Jump start only.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭junkyard

The only automatic car I know of that you can start like this is a Mercedes and you have to get you speed up to and over 30mph, a bit hairy considering you'll have unassisted power steering and virtually no brakes.....I've done it, but its not for the fainthearted.:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,269 ✭✭✭MercMad

Yes thats correct you can tow start an auto Merc but only the ones that DONT have torrque converters and generally thats pre 1972. They have fluid couplings instead. There are some exceptions to the '72 rule though !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Rovi

MercMad wrote:
    Yes thats correct you can tow start an auto Merc but only the ones that DONT have torrque converters and generally thats pre 1972. They have fluid couplings instead. There are some exceptions to the '72 rule though !
    It can be done with some older American automatics too, but generally speaking, bump starting an automatic is completely contraindicated.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,455 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

unless it's a rental car! in that case I'd give it a go anyway

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Rovi

colm_mcm wrote:
    unless it's a rental car!...
    Obviously. They're also superb rally cars and off-roaders. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 robo1

• Advertisement

Only a complete idiot could get jumpstarting from the battery wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

colm_mcm wrote:

Easy on colm - if everyone knew everything there would be no need for this forum. :)

Easy on colm - if everyone knew everything there would be no need for this forum. :)

I'm not having a go, I'm just saying that those cigarette lighter jump leads aren't as good as the real thing!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 robo1

colm_mcm wrote:

Your not having a go? You could have fooled me. So I came across something which is a little cheaper and more convenient. That obviously means I don't know how to jump start a car.

Any decent jump leads you buy will have full instructions, and the devices you mention are aimed at people who would have little mechanical experience, I've seen these advertised sometimes portraying jump starting a car, or even opening a bonnet, as a huge task.

The first item costs a lot more than jump leads, and the second one doesn't even jump start cars, After a long time it slowly charges the battery back up. If after a few attempts you can't start the car, you have to wait for it to charge up again!

Also if either of these items burns out wiring in your car, it won't be covered by the car manufacturers warranty. To my knowledge, the first item sends a high voltage (over 12V) through the cig lighter for when you start, and could cause problems if you have a fairly new car.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,990 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Don't forgot also that most modern cars can't be jump started either(sp?), it makes a mess of the ECU etc. You just end up with a dead battery and car:(

• Registered Users Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SouperComputer

Del2005 wrote:
    Don't forgot also that most modern cars can't be jump started either(sp?), it makes a mess of the ECU etc. You just end up with a dead battery and car:(

Id like to know more about this. Ive done it after stalling without issues. Ignition on=ecu on, turn engine, ECU adds fuel+spark and away you go. Of course if you keep cranking without startng for whatever reason and the ECU keeps putting fuel in, you risk damage to the cat and lambda sensor.

on some cars can have their computers damaged by a voltage spike transmitted from one car to the other.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭junkyard

The jump leads I have have an anti-surge protector, its designed for modern cars. I haven't seen them here yet but its a good idea.

better to remove a good battery from another car and jump start with this if you're at all scared by power spikes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,990 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

colm_mcm wrote:
    better to remove a good battery from another car and jump start with this if you're at all scared by power spikes.

But when doing this don't forget to keep another battery connected so as not to loose radio codes etc.

Del2005 wrote:
    But when doing this don't forget to keep another battery connected so as not to loose radio codes etc.

Ah, don't be complicating things! If you had a spare battery, you'd use it in the car that won't start! ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I don't think radio codes are lost immediatly, don't most modern head units have a short-term memory?

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭CPG

I have an auto box in my 850, and I carry around one of those battery starter packs.

Here is an example that can be got from Argos,
    http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/7505979/Trail/C%24cip%3D36581.DIY%2C%2Bgarden%2Band%2Bcar%3EC%24cip%3D36582.Car%2Bequipment%3EC%24cip%3D36586.Car%2Btools.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 3,988 ✭✭✭Johnny Storm

CPG wrote:
    I have an auto box in my 850, and I carry around one of those battery starter packs.

Here is an example that can be got from Argos,
    http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/7505979/Trail/C%24cip%3D36581.DIY%2C%2Bgarden%2Band%2Bcar%3EC%24cip%3D36582.Car%2Bequipment%3EC%24cip%3D36586.Car%2Btools.htm
    Suitable for use on petrol engines up to 2500cc

Is that going to be much use on your 850?
    Or is it 850cc ? ;)

Volvo 850, 2400CC

• Registered Users Posts: 3,988 ✭✭✭Johnny Storm

Cheers. I was thinking Beemer 850 :rolleyes:

I think Beemer 850 quite a bit too :o

Advertisement