Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Company Car

Options
  • 30-06-2006 2:42pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 31

I realsie that this has been done to death. But having serious probs with search. I started a new job as a Finacial Advisor. I hit the road on the 20th of next month. Currently I have a 01 Golf. Which i have been informed I will have to replacee. The job involves calling out to peoples homes, and the company would prefer a car that projects the right image. I been given a car allowencde of E 800 pm. I had planned on getting a old school E30. But that is out for obious reasons. People dont want there neigbours thinking that there being visited by the Polish Mafia. I've always wanted to get a D reg mondeo and put three ariels on top of it. But thats out for Obious reasons. So I'am thinking A4 or Passat. Looking at 00 nad 01's I dont want to spend anymore then 10K. The A4's seem to age badly. While the Passat sems to stay current. Any suggestions or thoughts welcome.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

800pm, get a golf GTI or something

• Registered Users Posts: 2,755 ✭✭✭ianobrien

I'm confused by your post. Am I correct in assuming that the 800 per month is to cover the cost of the car plus expenses, as you state that you are looking at spending no more than 10K.

If I am correct, my immediate reaction would be to keep the current car for a month or two to get a level on the expenses and see what balance is left for the car purchase. You can get a better base line on what you can afford, and put off buying a newer car until next year, when there will be a load of good second hand cars (SSIA!!!)

I imagine that the company may have a problem with your plan. You state that you have a 01 golf, and are thinking of a 00 or 01 Passat or Audi. The company may look at them as 6 year old cars and like the Golf, don't give the correct image. Have you run your idea of a 6 year old Passat or Audi past the Company?

Another part of me says to tell the company if they dont like the car, give me one!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,107 ✭✭✭John R

If an 01 Golf isn't good enoug for them I doubt you will get a car for anything close to 10k that is.

I wouldn't consider spending thousands out of my own pocket because an employer wanted an image presented. If it is that important to them then they can pay for a car that they approve of, ffs that is what company car schemes are for.

What if they give you the boot after a few months, you will have spent more money on a car for the job then you got paid.

You could always look into private leasing but I'd insist on the company covering the cost of the lease term no matter what.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 ace101

The E 750 is to cover car plus exspensis. I wasnt told straight out that a Golf wouldnt do but he did list a couple that wouldnt. Fiat panda, Polo, etc, etc. Given how similar the polo is to the Golf. I just aswell assumed that a golf is out. I like the look of both the old and new passat. So I'am thinking off picking one up. Is there anything I shoyuld look for, or has anyone alterintives an accord, A4, etc, etc. I dont want to spend anymore then 10 as I dont intend staying with the company for more then 12 months.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 166 ✭✭gstonesmx5

interesting question from a financial advisor !!
    my wife has the same decesion to make. and its BIK Vrs miles service etc.
    if they want an image you have to make a decision together. its the best way to do it and your company will should appritiate the initiative. i might sould off hand but i pay my own wage so its bik all the way (as little as i can).

seeing as it only for a year (contract ?) i would think the golf looks respectable and is reliable.
    one of the accountants i use has an early 90s toyota rust bucket and another a late 90s exodes.

• Advertisement

My question has apsolutly nothing do do with BIK. My company is looking after the tax liability on the allowance, and i prefer it that way. I simply want to gauge the range of cars avaliable at this price bracket and some get some informed advice on what to look out for with each model. Its not contract I have my own plans which kick in August 12 months. Iam also gonna need a preety reliable car for those. The way I look at this is the company are gonna buy a nice car, and all I have to do is pay for the fumes and exspense the service. So suggestions Pls

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,763 Mod ✭✭✭✭ToxicPaddy

Sounds to me like the want you in a small unimposing car. Kinda strange to be honest. A golf is a decent reliable and fairly respectable looking car and I really cant see how that would project the wrong image. Unless its modded to within an inch of its life.

I know of a company that gave an allowance like this to its sales guys but gave them a strict list of cars to choose from, typical fleet cars like Mondeos, Avensis, Primera as they didnt want sales guys turning up at customer sites in flash cars and giving the impression they were showing off.

But this thing really does confuse me.. So they want you in a Polo but not a golf.. ehh right.. maybe get a diesel polo classic, 1.9 standard diesel, its a small saloon, good mpg and easy enough to get one for well under 10k

http://www.carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=457629

http://www.carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=428357

Not exactly a head turner but I'm sure it would do until next year when the market will supposedly be flooded with godo second hand cars.

Tox

No mate, No Polo's, no panda. I was gonna go for a Beemer. But I think that might be to flah. I think the passat or accord, has just the right balance. Not to flash but still repectible

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

Passat is a good company car, I know when I moved jobs the company offered me company car instead of old Passat so I just bought a 02 one instead

Is there any classic problems with Passats I should watch out for rust, timing belt, etc, etc

• Advertisement

ace101 wrote:
    Is there any classic problems with Passats I should watch out for rust, timing belt, etc, etc

Make sure timing belt was done on it, come garages charge 1000 euro to put it in, every 50,000 it should be done, usually garage will mark it down with tipx on the engine. What year you buying>

Try and get a UK import because they have all the extras as standard, for the same price as a Irish model I got mine with alloys, heated seats, cruise control, on board computer etc. Also try and get the 130Bhp model because they are an animal.

• Registered Users Posts: 711 ✭✭✭conor_mc

To be honest mate, I think you're jumping the gun in thinking that you'd have to change your Golf. I'd put the Golf a helluva lot closer to a Passat than a Polo in terms of the image it projects.

For 10k, you won't be going much higher than a 01 Passat anyway, so why spend the money for a relatively minor change? If you're entitled to the full allowance, regardless of expenses incurred, I'd hang onto your Golf until you're in a position to trade up to a 2003-2004 Passat/A4 and save the difference for now.

By the way, could it be that you've misunderstood what the €800 budget is for? Are the company offering to pay a monthly lease and that's your budget to shop around for? If this is one of the larger Financial Services company, this would be what I'd expect. If it's a smaller brokerage, maybe not.

Also, what type of mileage would you expect to do each month? Get a TDi if you're doing more than 400 miles a week.

conor_mc wrote:
    By the way, could it be that you've misunderstood what the €800 budget is for? Are the company offering to pay a monthly lease and that's your budget to shop around for? If this is one of the larger Financial Services company, this would be what I'd expect. If it's a smaller brokerage, maybe not.

Also, what type of mileage would you expect to do each month? Get a TDi if you're doing more than 400 miles a week.

Was thinking that myself, I know the company I am with if you get a company car it is leased and they pay so much for the leased car per month depending on what level you are within the company. I wouldnt get the leased car fully paided for so bought my own and get paided milage of 1.24 per mile cause Im diesel.

If you have a leased car then the milage price goes down.

I have to disagree with people about the Golf, I know none of our lads would go to a customer in a Golf, a good few have Passats/Audi/Merc/BMW's etc. Its all about image and the Golf is not really seen as a business car!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 311 ✭✭xha1r

I called a company with regards leasing a BMW 1 Series. I have the estimates downstairs but I'm just having dinner so will get them later. Think it was around 900e a month though. I'll edit and let you know.

EDIT: Got the figures here mate. Bear in mind it was a two year contract.

BMW 1 Series:

€810 p/m + optional €95 for maintenance.

Yearly total = €9720 (less maintenance), €10860 (plus maintenance).

That was from Avis, and if you're interested I can give you the name of the guy I was talking to; was very helpful and easy to deal with.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 166 ✭✭gstonesmx5

opiniron seems to be stick with ur golf or get pasion waggon if you want one.
    there is no wrong choice its what do you want to drive. another factor is ur golf will have a better resale value in 1yr than a pasion waggon.

Advertisement