Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Cristiano Ronaldo

• 30-06-2006 4:11pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,372 ✭✭✭

will he be able to play tomorrow? does anyone have any news on his injury?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

Cristiano Ronaldo's chances of facing England in tomorrow's World Cup quarter-final looked to be fading after he missed another Portugal training session on Friday.

The Manchester United winger, who suffered a thigh injury during Portugal's last-16 win against Holland, was unable to train on Thursday and received physio treatment instead.

And there was no sign of him as Portugal held their final training session at their Marienfeld base on Friday morning before travelling to Gelsenkirchen, where they were due to hold an evening training session at the Gelsenkirchen Arena.

It remains to be seen if Portugal manager Luiz Felipe Scolari is wrapping Ronaldo in cotton wool to allow as much time as possible for the injury to heal or whether he is fighting a losing battle to be fit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,800 ✭✭✭county

bad news for portugal but good news for england

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,251 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

county wrote:

Depends. I'm sure many English fans would love to see him play if he had a terrible game, which he is very capable of. It's 50-50 whether he would or not but he doesn't track back and would allow one of their wingers to get plenty of space.

If the game gets fired up, his temperament could also come into question.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

Lemlin wrote:
    Depends. I'm sure many English fans would love to see him play if he had a terrible game, which he is very capable of. It's 50-50 whether he would or not but he doesn't track back and would allow one of their wingers to get plenty of space.

If the game gets fired up, his temperament could also come into question.

England have wingers??:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

:D Kinda hope he plays he'll proberly win me bet for first foul or booking.

Mike.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭herbieflowers

could just be mind games by Scolari, although his lack of full training is ominous...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,408 ✭✭✭Huggles

county wrote:

Yeah am thinking England might scrape through again with the absence of Deco and Ronaldo.

Ronaldo starts.

There is no way he is 100%

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,681 ✭✭✭Johnny_the_fox

he is going to become the most hated person in england...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,881 ✭✭✭bohsman

he is going to become the most hated person in england...

Behind Rooney and Sven.

Hmm maybe not, seems Ronaldo is to be made the scapegoat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

Ronaldo to real madrid has just become a real possiblity.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

I remember, was it Alpay had to leave Villa after the last WC? Or was it Euro 2004? I can't even remember the incident to be honest. But I sincerely hope that the same thing doesn't happen to Ronaldo.

Beckham was the villain in 98, United wont let that affect them.

I remember, was it Alpay had to leave Villa after the last WC? Or was it Euro 2004? I can't even remember the incident to be honest. But I sincerely hope that the same thing doesn't happen to Ronaldo.

http://www.englandfc.com/reports/report_turkey_v_eng_ec2004qual.html

While the result from this game saw England qualify for Euro 2004 in first place, this game will be remembered for the brawl in the tunnel at half-time between many players and coaching staff from both sides. More of that later though!

England were without Owen through injury for this match, and Ferdinand was not called up following a missed drugs test. Still, England fielded a strong side and looked the better side for much of the game. The visitors had the first opportunity to score when Gary Neville crossed the ball to fellow Manchester United player, Scholes. The red-headed player's header just missed the goal, the ball going over the crossbar. Turkey responded to England's threat with a shot from Kahveci, but James was able to prevent a goal. As both teams traded unfruitful attempts to break the deadlock, Tugay tripped Gerrard in the penalty area, and referee Collina awarded a spot-kick which captain, David Beckham, took in the 36th minute. This would be the talking point of the game, not because Beckham missed the penalty, but because he was goaded afterwards for his failure by Alpay. A ridiculous act by the Turk, and even more pathetic was that he pushed Beckham in the face after the half-time whistle. As a result several players and staff from both sides became involved in a scuffle in the tunnel.

With the referee apparenlty having spoken to Beckham and Alpay during the break, the teams were back on the field to finish the contest which fortunately did not see any further crazy action by either team. England's defence were threatened several times during the second half, and English hearts were pounding in the 88th minute when Tuncay's shot narrowly missed England's goal. Then into injury time, Nihat sent the ball towards James' goal but the shot, however close, missed the net.

England will have been happy to leave Turkey, especially with a point which saw them end the qualifying campaign for next year's European Championships at the top of Group 7. They are also still unbeaten by Turkey.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

Did you see Ronaldo before kick off, came up behind Rooney, and butted into the back of his head, didn't look playful as suggested by BBC.

Chances of Ronaldo staying at United don't look so hot.

bohsman wrote:
    http://www.englandfc.com/reports/report_turkey_v_eng_ec2004qual.html

While the result from this game saw England qualify for Euro 2004 in first place, this game will be remembered for the brawl in the tunnel at half-time between many players and coaching staff from both sides. More of that later though!

England were without Owen through injury for this match, and Ferdinand was not called up following a missed drugs test. Still, England fielded a strong side and looked the better side for much of the game. The visitors had the first opportunity to score when Gary Neville crossed the ball to fellow Manchester United player, Scholes. The red-headed player's header just missed the goal, the ball going over the crossbar. Turkey responded to England's threat with a shot from Kahveci, but James was able to prevent a goal. As both teams traded unfruitful attempts to break the deadlock, Tugay tripped Gerrard in the penalty area, and referee Collina awarded a spot-kick which captain, David Beckham, took in the 36th minute. This would be the talking point of the game, not because Beckham missed the penalty, but because he was goaded afterwards for his failure by Alpay. A ridiculous act by the Turk, and even more pathetic was that he pushed Beckham in the face after the half-time whistle. As a result several players and staff from both sides became involved in a scuffle in the tunnel.

With the referee apparenlty having spoken to Beckham and Alpay during the break, the teams were back on the field to finish the contest which fortunately did not see any further crazy action by either team. England's defence were threatened several times during the second half, and English hearts were pounding in the 88th minute when Tuncay's shot narrowly missed England's goal. Then into injury time, Nihat sent the ball towards James' goal but the shot, however close, missed the net.

England will have been happy to leave Turkey, especially with a point which saw them end the qualifying campaign for next year's European Championships at the top of Group 7. They are also still unbeaten by Turkey.
    Thanks for jogging my memory, couldn't remember what it was for.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,300 ✭✭✭CiaranC

The BBC have shown footage of him tauunting rooney at the kick off, and winking at a teammate after getting involved when Rooney was sent off. And he scored the winner.

Hes finished at united.

CiaranC wrote:
    The BBC have shown footage of him tauunting rooney at the kick off
    That was a bit of friendly banter imo, Rooney even had a grin on his face.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,300 ✭✭✭CiaranC

Im not sure the editors at The Sun will share your opinion

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭Limerick Dude

haha that is very true ciaran! i can just imagine tomorrow mornings headlines in the tabloids....

CiaranC wrote:
    Im not sure the editors at The Sun will share your opinion
    I doubt it, they'll have a field day alright.

Rooney and Ronaldo where walking out talking in the tunnel, I didnt see the indicident, when exactly did it happen, when they first came walking down from the dressing room they where chatting and laughing away

Big Nelly wrote:
    Rooney and Ronaldo where walking out talking in the tunnel, I didnt see the indicident, when exactly did it happen, when they first came walking down from the dressing room they where chatting and laughing away
    I think it was just before kick-off. Ronaldo came up behind Rooney and put his head into Roon's and said something, Rooney didn't say anything back. Just grinned. Ronaldo was smiling too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

The smile of the assassin?

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭Anto McC

Is there anything more sickening than seeing him jump to the ground holding his leg from a challange that bearly made contact with him!!

I hate him with a passion :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭Kulgan

Yeah but that's how you take a penalty!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

Anto McC wrote:
    Is there anything more sickening than seeing him jump to the ground holding his leg from a challange that bearly made contact with him!!

I hate him with a passion :mad:

nearly as bad a joe cole.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,646 ✭✭✭cooker3

I wonder will he dare return to England after that, scoring the winning penalty will go down well but what is far worse was getting involved Rooney in sending off when incident when he had nothing to do with the incident, Rooney was certainly not playing when he was shoving him out of the way.
    I would love to be there when they meet up for pre-season!

The abuse he will get in away games will be quite something!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

bohsman wrote:
    Beckham was the villain in 98, United wont let that affect them.

But Ronaldo wants to leave anyway according to reports over the last few weeks.

Dub13 wrote:
    But Ronaldo wants to leave anyway according to reports over the last few weeks.
    According to reports from a Spanish tabloid. Hardly gospel.

According to reports from a Spanish tabloid. Hardly gospel.

He hasnt denied them yet which probably mean he wants to leave

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,098 ✭✭✭MonkeyTennis

Ronaldo should join chelsea..he'd fit right in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

The red card was for the ball stamping apparently.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,915 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

Big Nelly wrote:
    He hasnt denied them yet which probably mean he wants to leave

None of the portugese players have talked to the press. Also, Wenger, Carrick and Robben have also apparantly made deals with various Real candidates.

zabbo wrote:
    Did you see Ronaldo before kick off, came up behind Rooney, and butted into the back of his head, didn't look playful as suggested by BBC.

Chances of Ronaldo staying at United don't look so hot.

Yeah saw that myself, he is some piece of work that Ronaldo, never liked him myself.

The BBC (well Shearer), seem to be doing all they can to deflect England's shortcomings onto Ronaldo. Ronaldo and Rooney had been talking in the tunnel apparantly, and seemed to continue to the whisper in Rooney's ear + grin before kick off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,331 ✭✭✭Keyzer

I reckon he´s out the door as well.
    Rooney will be helluva pissed off about his behaviour and Ferguson will more than likely side with him, plus he´ll probably get 20 mill for him so why not gt rid of him?? The Glazers will like that kind of money coming in if united are to bid for torres and carrick, rumours I know but it wouldnt surprise me....

I was very excited when he came to the premiership but after a while he just reminded me of micheal flatley. I think the spanish league would suit him better, they love the divers over there.

He´ll be absolutely hounded by the english press....

Can´t wait to see him bawl his eyes out when the Frenchies beat them...

Keyzer wrote:
    I reckon he´s out the door as well.
    Rooney will be helluva pissed off about his behaviour and Ferguson will more than likely side with him, plus he´ll probably get 20 mill for him so why not gt rid of him?? The Glazers will like that kind of money coming in if united are to bid for torres and carrick, rumours I know but it wouldnt surprise me....

I was very excited when he came to the premiership but after a while he just reminded me of micheal flatley. I think the spanish league would suit him better, they love the divers over there.

He´ll be absolutely hounded by the english press....

Can´t wait to see him bawl his eyes out when the Frenchies beat them...

Yeah Fegusons gonna sell him cause he had a spat with Rooney n the world cup:rolleyes:

As for the diving,well of course hes guilty of this but so are numerous other players you are forgetting to mention.

I thought Joe Cole did the most diving in todays game.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭Attractive Nun

It baffles me why people hate Ronaldo so much. Take that match. What did he do? I didn't see him playacting at all, although he probably did a bit of it, he got a few fouls committed against him. Then his teammate gets his balls stamped on, and he complains to the referee. Aside from that, he was probably Portugal's best player. Suddenly, he's a disgrace. Madness.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭Kulgan

adox wrote:
    Yeah Fegusons gonna sell him cause he had a spat with Rooney n the world cup:rolleyes:

Yea have to agree, Ferguson will get them back and slap some sense into them and that will be the end of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,646 ✭✭✭cooker3

It baffles me why people hate Ronaldo so much. Take that match. What did he do? I didn't see him playacting at all, although he probably did a bit of it, he got a few fouls committed against him. Then his teammate gets his balls stamped on, and he complains to the referee. Aside from that, he was probably Portugal's best player. Suddenly, he's a disgrace. Madness.

There is just something about him that is incredibly annoying. For one, when he started in premiership and did stupid amount of stepovers, although he does it less now, and the fact he is a big diver. Just because others do it doesn't make it ok and he is 1 of the worst culprits for it, this evening there was 1 incident when he blatantly dived and rolled around as per usual.

He had no right in getting invovled with Rooney incident and was trying to get him sent off which is another annoying trait and I read on BBC that he was seen winking to the bench when Rooney got the red card, sure Rooney would love that if it's true, I didn't see him do it myself I have to say.

In general he can't cross a ball and most of the time fails to do perform and is quite dirty as well, list goes on and on

God it's riling me up even thinking about stuff now!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 704 ✭✭✭PeadarofAodh

Putting his performance today aside, I've never been a fan of Ronaldo. He's a consistent diver, overly theatrical and has been hanging off the referees coat-tails in so many different matches. Players like Deco and him asking for referees to card a player make me want to stamp on their balls!:mad:

Putting his performance today aside, I've never been a fan of Ronaldo. He's a consistent diver, overly theatrical and has been hanging off the referees coat-tails in so many different matches. Players like Deco and him asking for referees to card a player make me want to stamp on their balls!:mad:

How do you know he asked for Rooney to be booked?Do you speak Portugese and also lip read it.

His team mate had been stamped on and he went to the ref and complained about it as numerous players have done in the past and will o in the future.
    It mightnt have been the right thing to do,but hey who always does the right thing.

astrofool wrote:
    The BBC (well Shearer), seem to be doing all they can to deflect England's shortcomings onto Ronaldo. Ronaldo and Rooney had been talking in the tunnel apparantly, and seemed to continue to the whisper in Rooney's ear + grin before kick off.

WHISPER??? It was a nut in the back of the head and some sort of threat which Rooney laughed off. if anything it was aggressive provocation, as his teammate he knew that it would wind Rooney up. It stinks tbh.

I see we have two lip readers on boards today. "some sort of threat" how in god's name do you come up with that? What type of threat could it have been? "I'm going to get you sent off"? Cop on to yourself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭Santa Claus

Did anyone see the BBC editing Ronaldo's wink (which he did to the bench either just before extra time or just after) to make it look like he winked to the bench when rooney got sent off.....the boys a scapegoat alright !

As for Ferguson wanting to sell him because of bad blood with Rooney, not a chance. Alex would put them in a room and let them sort out their differences but the Glazers might see it as a great oppurtunity to sell him off !

Did anyone see the BBC editing Ronaldo's wink (which he did to the bench either just before extra time or just after) to make it look like he winked to the bench when rooney got sent off

I thought that too, it'd want to be watched again (as in with original timing) to be sure or not, but his wink seemed to be related to another time period entirely.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,007 ✭✭✭mad m

ah get rid of him,never seen a player do more steps overs on a ball and still get no where.

• Advertisement
Advertisement