Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Cristiano Ronaldo

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,709 ✭✭✭BolBill

Ronaldo is a legend after Saturday. Was able to get Rooney sent off and therefore end any chances of England (lets bring Theo Walcott) getting through.

The only person to blame is Eriksson, a class A chancer, 25 million from the FA for a manager that was 16 years in Italy and won 1 Scudetto spending over a 100 million in the process on Lazio. He has a reputation for being a great manager, he edoesn't have the ACTUAL trophies to prove it. With England he has proved time and time that he hasn't a clue. Bringing Walcott, I mean F - OFF !!!, a banjoed Owen too - crazy. Lets play Lampard and Gerrard together so neither of them will be able to play their game. Lets not have the balls to drop Beckham and play Lennon.

He is a shambles as a manger, hope Real take him, at least Beckham will be guaranteed his place......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

kinaldo wrote:
    What a ridiculous overreaction. You'd almost think it was the most controversial thing a football pundit ever said.

Read the tabloids today!! You see what happened to Beckham after 98??? or that defender for Villa that had to leave the country because of the Turkey v England game???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

RedPlanet wrote:
    I noticed that as well. When Ronaldo winked i was thinking...i wonder will the BBC and English press make a mountain outa that.
    Then watching later how they spliced that wink in, to make it appear he winked right after the Rooney send off... typical media manipulation.

The "wink" happened just under 45 seconds after the red card was shown. I didn't see the Beeb's coverage as we had RTE on in the pub, but here's some Portugese TV coverage of the whole incident.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C3cCsJRJII0&search=rooney%20red%20card

Like I said, didn't see the BBc coverage so can't comment on their treatment of it, but there's the live feed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭tred

Big Nelly wrote:
    Read the tabloids today!! You see what happened to Beckham after 98??? or that defender for Villa that had to leave the country because of the Turkey v England game???

Alpay...might be a blessing in disguise. Ronaldo has never being a consistent performer for united. if madrid are foolish enough to break the bank for him, then they should take the money and re invest it on a more solid winger. All the tricks in the world, but if u kick him he just stops playing..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C3cCsJRJII0&search=rooney%20red%20card

Like I said, didn't see the BBc coverage so can't comment on their treatment of it, but there's the live feed.

You have to be pulling the pi** with that, I didnt see it during the game and me and 4 lads here in office watched it, there is no way that could be seen as a wink, it could have been anything, if he winked and smiled then maybe but his facial features never moved. God the UK press are sad if they think thats a wink

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,399 ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

Kinaldo and Big Nelly banned for a week for abuse aimed at sports personalities and trolling..

It's not a matter of life and death, it is much more important than that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭tred

Big Nelly wrote:
    You have to be pulling the pi** with that, I didnt see it during the game and me and 4 lads here in office watched it, there is no way that could be seen as a wink, it could have been anything, if he winked and smiled then maybe but his facial features never moved. God the UK press are sad if they think thats a wink
    They showed it on BBC..defo a wink,. but in what context wasnt that clear.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,178 ✭✭✭beer enigma

From an English perspective, I don't believe England deserved to get any further, but that doesn't lessen the fact that the Ronaldo incident was controversial and as such is going to evoke comment from fans and the media.

I cannot see ANY excuse for players approaching the referee - its bad sportsmanship and has no place in the game. The fact it happened between two team-mates is even worse & wont make things easy at Old Trafford. I'm an Arsenal fan & genuinely feel for Man U here - it's sad & its ruining football.

Just on a point - I don't think we would have won even WITH Rooney still on the pitch - the fact that we played better without him shows Sven's team organisation up for what it was.

So before we get any more of the anti-English football comments thrown in - its an International problem that affects all of us. Just imagine the shirts were green & it was Robbie who got his marching orders.......would'nt you feel a tiny bit aggrieved - its not good for football & needs to be stamped out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

Andip wrote:

Just on a point - I don't think we would have won even WITH Rooney still on the pitch - the fact that we played better without him shows Sven's team organisation up for what it was.

Repeating what I said on the England-Portugal thread...

Lennon on for Beckham was the catalyst for England playing better, with Rooney still on the pitch and 11v11 it may have proved enough to tip the balance. We'll never know.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭Vokes

+ Gerrard was moved to the Left wing, thereby freeing up room for Lampard in a proper 4-4-2 (well, 4-4-1) in which they played better.

Had Rooney stayed on playing up front with Crouch, who knows what wouldve happened.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

tred wrote:
    Alpay...might be a blessing in disguise. Ronaldo has never being a consistent performer for united. if madrid are foolish enough to break the bank for him, then they should take the money and re invest it on a more solid winger. All the tricks in the world, but if u kick him he just stops playing..

True , I can't make up my mind about Ronaldo, If he could curtail the tricks and provided a decent end ball he would be an asset to any team , if he continues with the fancy stuff with very little end product he would be easily replaceable at united. I feel he will sort out his game and get the balance that will make him one of the best in the world , problem is with pressure mounting and teh Vultures circuling will he get the chance to play his best at United if he is to fulfill his potential at all?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,658 ✭✭✭The Rooster

Ronaldo running towards the ref to try and make sure Rooney was properly punished wasn't gentlemanly, but it was hardly wrong.

Imagine it was Ronaldo who's stamped on the goolies of an Enlgish player.... Would any English player have run to the ref??? - course they would! I've seen Rooney, Terry, Gerrard, Neville all do similar in the premiership. It was very funny that it was another United player that happened to committ the act :D , but c'mon the reaction of Ronaldo was something that happens all the time.

Ronaldo certainly winked at somebody in the time between the sending off and prior to the restart of play (it was not BBC tricks and I'm not sure how Nelly could construe it as anything other than a wink :confused: ) but gawd knows what he meant by it. Personally I dont think it was "I got Rooney sent off", more like "we've a great chance now".

I thought Ronaldo was the best player on the pitch. If he could just look-up that bit sooner and give balls to his striker, he'd be as good as anyone in the world in his position - and that will come with experience - hopefully after he's left Old Trafford ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Given all the evidence, you'd want to be fairly blinkered not to come to the conclusion that Ronaldo was looking to get Rooney sent off.
    "People are saying the referee gave a red card because I spoke with him and asked him to show a red card - but that is not true," he said in the Daily Express.

"It was not my fault. I spoke with Rio Ferdinand and Gary Neville and they did not have a problem with me.

"I did not get the chance to speak to Wayne, I will phone him.

"But why would I feel sorry for him? I don't feel sorry for Wayne.

"This is a time to congratulate Portugal and celebrate our victory. We will enjoy this party."

You don't seem to want to look at all the evidence, you just concluded what you wanted to conclude cause it suited you.

---

I noticed that as well. When Ronaldo winked i was thinking..

If you watch Ronaldo, he will wink about 10 times in a match. It's a ****ign innocent thing he does, and it's being manipulated to suit an agenda.

Thats just laughable PHB.

Ronaldo denies telling the ref to send off Rooney - so therefore he didnt say it!

Rooney obviously misheard him so, or maybe it was just a playful friendly push!!!

What is in it for Ronaldo to lie?

If, as you say, he is off to Madrid, what does he care?

But aside from that, if he did actually do it, wouldn't Rooney just come out and say, 'hey no, wait a minute you ****wit, you say it.'

Why would he lie?

Rooney was sent off for stamping.
    Ronaldo, along with 3 other Portugese players, went up to the ref and surrounded him. Intent to get sent off? Maybe, but you have no idea whatsoever if he said anything to get him sent off, you are just assuming it because it suits you.

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,049 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

RE*AC*TOR wrote:
    There's no way Rooney should have been sent off. If anything it was a free to him.

Jesus, how can you say that, granted he was fouled himself leading up to the incident but he was clearly seen stamping him in the balls.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭RE*AC*TOR

Aquos76 wrote:
    Jesus, how can you say that, granted he was fouled himself leading up to the incident but he was clearly seen stamping him in the balls.
    I didn't see any intent - he may have "stepped" on his balls - that's about it.

Where are our previous posts gone, by the way?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭RE*AC*TOR

what? I don't know what you are talking about.

• Advertisement

RE*AC*TOR wrote:
    what? I don't know what you are talking about.

Dear Aquos76,

RE*AC*TOR has just replied to a thread you have subscribed to entitled - Cristiano Ronaldo - in the Soccer forum of boards.ie.

This thread is located at:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2054954441&goto=newpost

Here is the message that has just been posted:
    its in the charter

In reply to me criticising as to why 2 members were banned.

It was deleted ,as was Reactors reply. You said when did the rule change that people were not allowed to criticise sports personalities. Reactors response was it is in the charter, My response is it is in the charter that you should have read and that you maintained you did read, now all dealt with. Happy now ?

If you have any questions on these rules please Private Message the moderators.

From the charter, or go to the feedback forum.

---

Oh yeh btw,
    http://www.teamtalk.com/football/story/0,16368,2483_1314035,00.html

Shock shock, Rooney is ok with it, what does that suggest to you?

"Shock shock Rooney is okay with it"
    According to Ronaldo, he's okay, no quote from Rooney there :D

But whether Rooney's okay with it or not, isnt what we've been talking about. You said there's no evidence to suggest Ronaldo tried to get Rooney sent off. I'm sure Rooney will be fine with it once he calms down, because he knows he would have done exactly the same thing.

Why did Ronaldo run over to the ref, when the whistle had already gone for a foul?
    Why did Rooney look aghast, and then push Ronaldo, after he heard what Ronaldo said to the ref?

PHB, you are pretending that Ronaldo did nothing to try and persuade the ref to punish Rooney, and thats fine because it suits you.

I'll pretend too from now on. Its probably much more fun living in a dreamworld :D

Ronaldo: Ref, what the hell are you doin!! That was no foul, that Chelsea hoor has no balls, so how could Wayne have stamped on them??
    Rooney: Leave it Cris, leave it! You'll only get yourself in trouble, but thanks very much for your concern. Move back there a bit out of the way...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,915 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

Just watching that youtube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C3cCsJRJII0&search=rooney%20red%20card the ref blows his whistle to stop play (you'd have to say to give a free to Rooney) THEN Rooney steps on Carvalho, which is probably why he got sent off.

I wonder if Utd. will want to sign Petit now, as he was also on scene doing the same as Ronaldo :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,197 ✭✭✭Spalk0

Thats very funny PHB. Because none of us have any idea of what language Ronaldo was using when speaking to the Argentine ref, never mind being able to lip read what he said = therefore he said nothing :D:D:D:D

The ref had blown his whistle and was pointing for a free to Portugal.

Then in charges Ronaldo and starts remonstarting with the ref. So clearly he wasnt simply looking for a free, as that had long been awarded.

I'd say there's a fair chance Ronaldo was speaking in English - either way Rooney seemed to understand what Ronaldo was saying from the look of disbelief then exaperation on Rooney's face at what Ronaldo was saying, which led him to push Ronaldo away.

Given all the evidence, you'd want to be fairly blinkered not to come to the conclusion that Ronaldo was looking to get Rooney sent off.

Personally I think they're both lovely chaps and that RoRoRo will be a blinding combination and carry ManU to countless trophies over the next few years :D

Wrong.....the reason Ronaldo and all the portuguese players ran towards the ref was because he awarded the freekick to Rooney and england prior to the stamping as carvalhio fouled Rooney but he stayed on his feet!Ronaldo and Portugal felt they should have gotten a free kick.

But of course the English football team and media believe what they want to believe to cover up for their own shortcomings!but then again, we knew they'd come up with some scapegoat

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 6,525 Mod ✭✭✭✭sharkman

Ronaldo : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scapegoat.

Simple as that .. Case Closed . Nothing to see here , you can all move along now !

• Advertisement

You said there's no evidence to suggest Ronaldo tried to get Rooney sent off.
    Ronaldo said what to the ref? Anybody show anything whatsoever? Come on, somebody show me where he said it, or where this Portugese lip reader on boards is.

Is what I said.
    All we know is that Ronaldo went up to the ref after the foul on Carvalho.
    Whatever was said, you don't know, nor do I.

But the fact that Rooney is ok with it, and yes I'm going to believe Ronaldo on this cause why would he say it otherwise, suggests to me he didn't say something which got him sent off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭GrumPy

Ronaldo protested because he saw his team mate getting taken in the coin purse, Rooney got sent off. Who cares why he got sent off, or if the ref got it wrong, at the end of the day Rooney deserved to get sent off for violent misconduct. The English media will of course blame Ronaldo, but Rooneys actions got him sent off, not C.Ronaldo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭Attractive Nun

Apparently, Ronaldo said, in English "Did you see that?" Now I don't know about you, but if I happened to be playing in a tense World Cup quarter final (that obviously means a lot to me because I was crying when I was injured in the last match), and an opposition player appears to stamp on my teammates balls in the middle of a physical struggle for possession of the ball, I'm probably going to tell the referee what I saw.

Just because Rooney is his club teammate should not be any reason to treat him differently. I saw quite a few fouls on Ronaldo by Gary Neville during that match, and I would expect no different. If Ricardo Carvalho committed a foul - particularly a foul that might be easy to miss - against Rooney and Joe Cole had seen it, I don't reckon the British media would be too happy if Joe Cole refrained from supporting Rooney's appeals simply because he was a club teammate.

Perhaps - perhaps - it's 'morally' wrong or unsportsmanlike to complain to the ref about anything, but if so then Ronaldo is hardly the only offender in this regard. Probably every player in the world does so in some way. I think Ronaldo actually acted quite well in not reacting to Rooney's push and subsequently walking away from the incident. And his wink to the bench, who knows what that was about? Absolutely ridiculous the criticism being levelled at him, IMHO.

Rooney got Rooney sent off, not Ronaldo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,331 ✭✭✭Keyzer

adox wrote:
    Yeah Fegusons gonna sell him cause he had a spat with Rooney n the world cup:rolleyes:

No, I think my comment might have been a bit vague.
    Rooney has publicly said he has no beef with ronaldo. That said, privately, I'd say he is fuming. I know ronaldi was standing up for his team mate, as anyone would, but ronaldo should not have gotten involved at all, its his club team mate at the end of the day.

And I know this thread is about ronaldo, but no way should rooney have been sent off, yellow at most for the push. I have watched the replay at least 20 times and rooney loses his balance trying to get out of the tangle.

The winking and gesturing to his team mates also shows how much of a twat ronaldo is, I'd be fuming if that happened to me and I watched his reaction in a reaply, as any one else should be.

If he goes to Real this summer I wouldnt be surprised if rooney does a "keano" ala haaland if they meet again. Im not saying its right, im just saying what I think might happen.

Who knows what will go on behind closed doors, maybe fergie will make them kiss and make up. But if it came to the crunch, and one of them had to go, fergie would sell ronaldo as rooney is the better player, theres no debating that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,842 ✭✭✭s8n

Keyzer wrote:
    If he goes to Real this summer I wouldnt be surprised if rooney does a "keano" ala haaland if they meet again. Im not saying its right, im just saying what I think might happen.

hahaha....this thread has lost the run of itself, and getting very silly now.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

This is stupid and totally blown out of all proportion. Since when does England vs. fúcking Portugal have anything to do with United?

Rooney stamped on Carvalho's nackers, he deserved to go. You could see it coming, Rooney should have had a free kick (maybe two) before hand and he got frustrated and lashed out. Nothing new there.

Ronaldo ran over to the ref, to make sure he took action. That is what any player would do in order to win, remember this is the World Cup, England vs. Portugal. Whether you or I like it or not, Manchester United is in the back of the players minds. They are out there to win the match for the team they are playing for.

I've played against my mates in similar circumstances, and I have asked the referee to take action any time a foul has been committed. Does that make me any less of a mate?

As for Ronaldo winking, does anybody realise that Ronaldo winked 45 seconds or more after the red card was shown? He could have been winking at the fúcking female steward in the ground for all we know.

Typical English media, looking for a scapegoat. England were shíte at the world cup. DEAL WITH IT! I can't believe some people have been so gullible to join their "lets split the United supporters" bandwagon. That is clearly what they are trying to do with this whole Rooney vs. Ronaldo saga. "Ohhh I wonder what will happen when the two meet again at Carrington/first home match of the season". Do you know what is going to happen? Sweet fúck all!

End of rant.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭tomED

Man U fan here.... and I have to say I really hope united get rid of Ronaldo.

I've never liked him, always thought he was arrogant, immature and certainly not the type of player united are used to having... I've never liked ronaldo.....

I think Ferguson has to wake up and smell the coffee now, Fergis stuck by him with the whole Van Nistelrooy situation (imagine that... van who has done so much more for united) and now there has to be a situation brewing between Rooney and Ronaldo.....

Out I say! Out!!

P.S. Anyone that thinks Rooney was out of order should really look at the whole situation in realtime - NOT SLOW MOTION. Slow motion always makes things look worse than they are. He was kicked, shoved and brought to the ground by 2 portugues players. Rooney to me was guarding himself and yes he did throw his leg into the portuguese players groin - but how hard was it??? In slow motion it looks bad - in real time, it looks like a brush!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

The ref has taken the unusual step of commenting on Rooney's sending off and his comments clear Ronaldo of the allegation that he was responsible for it. That should really put and end to the Ronaldo got Rooney sent off angle and all the rubbish that has propagated from it.

Referee Horacio Elizondo says he sent Wayne Rooney off against Portugal because of his stamp on Ricardo Carvalho.
    The Argentine official was caught in the middle of what turned out to be a pivotal moment of Saturday's World Cup quarter final, as England were eventually knocked out on penalties in Gelsenkirchen.
    His decision to show the Manchester United star a red card proved a major influence on England's exit from Germany 2006, with Elizondo insisting his decision to send off Rooney was not influenced by Portugal's ensuing protests.
    It leaves Cristiano Ronaldo in the clear after Rooney's Manchester United team-mate was initially accused of trying to persuade the South American to show the England striker a red card.
    "It was violent play and therefore he got a red card," Elizondo told The Times.
    "People can say what they want, but this had absolutely no influence.
    "In general, I don't pay much attention to that sort of thing because I don't care about the pressure on my shoulders during a match.
    "For me, it was a clear red card, so I didn't react to the Portuguese players.
    "There was pushing and shoving on both sides, but for me it wasn't a reason to caution anybody.
    "Sven Goran Eriksson went to the locker-room after the match and congratulated me for an excellent performance and said that I was right to send off Rooney because it was rough play."
    Rooney protested his innocence over his actions, but Elizondo's admission is likely to do little to help the former Everton goalscorer's chances of avoiding an international suspension.
    The controversy surrounding the sending off of Rooney has not bothered Elizondo, claiming he takes little notice to the attentions of the media.
    "I've never thought about it and to be honest, I don't care," he added.
    "If people or newspapers would like to create stories like that, it's up to them. I really don't care."

link

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,800 ✭✭✭county

The Muppet wrote:
    That should really put and end to the Ronaldo got Rooney sent off angle and all the rubbish that has propagated from it.
    i would`nt bet on it

Pornapster has it spot on. Nobody believe that Ronaldo got Rooney sent off. Ronaldo did run to the ref though, to try and persuade him to take action. Muppet's quotes from the ref are totally irrelevant. As if a ref would admit to being influenced by one player to send off another :D:D

In all likelihood the ref would have sent off Rooney no matter what Ronaldo did. I said previously that Rooney was clearly annoyed that Ronaldo came over and confronted the ref, but that he'd get over it, because thats the way football is, and Rooney and others would do the same thing had the roles been reversed.

Finally got a quote from Rooney today (in the Irish Times via the Guardian Service) and its as is expected:

"I bear no ill feeling to Cristiano, but I am disappointed he chose to get involved"
    ..proving that Ronaldo was trying to get the ref to punish Rooney, but that Rooney will get over it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Rooney defintiley deserved to go for his challenge on Carvalho cos it was definitely intentional. If you look at the clip it's quite clear that he kicked his leg backwards and wasn't trying to put it straight down on the ground just to balance himself.

Also, I'm convinced that the ref only took action because of his push on Ronaldo. He didn't even look like he was going to take any action at all until that happen. Having said that, you can't blame Ronaldo as it was Rooney's actions that got him sent off and nobody elses.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 961 ✭✭✭AthAnRi

This I think has been blown way out of proportion. Ronaldo wasn't the only one that got involved. The fact that they are club mates means jack sh1t. Ask yourself this question. If Ireland were playing England in a World Cup Semi final and Paul Robinson came sprinting out of the goal and took Duffer straight out of it in a professional foul then damn right you would want Robbbie Keane in protesting. In the quarter final of the World Cup a player must be focused on one thing and that's winning a game of football. Certainly things like being club mates should be forgotten about for the duration of that match otherwise you might as well start passing the ball to each other.

At the end of the day, as always england have a superiority complex and cannot bear to just admit that they lost to a team that they feel that they have the god given right to beat. Christiano Ronaldo is just the latest in a long list of scapegoats. (Maradona, Gazza, Graeme Taylor, Beckham, Urz Meire, Mr Blobby, Mickey Mouse etc...). As usual they are breaking what I consider to be the golden rule of football. What happens on the pitch stays on the pitch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭p.pete

Very nice penalty by Ronaldo, that's all that matters now for him I hope and he doesn't occupy himself with the English press for the moment. They've 2 games left so this won't help if it's what he's concentrating on - I've every confidence though that Scolari is using it to motivate him though.

Shame for England they didn't have the bottle to hold out and approach Scolari after the competition.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭herbieflowers

The irnoy of Rooney's sending off resulting in arguably the best England played during the whole tournamnet - more of a heroic clinging on than anything else at that though!

Rooney said today that he doesn't blame Ronaldo for his sending off...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭p.pete

Rooney said today that he doesn't blame Ronaldo for his sending off...
    We'll wait and see what his ghost-writer says in a few years time, rather than what he's being told to say by lawyers/advisors now.

• Advertisement

oh yeah, don't take anything footballers say as "truth", just a PR smoothing over exercise imo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,331 ✭✭✭Keyzer

s8n wrote:
    hahaha....this thread has lost the run of itself, and getting very silly now.

Whats so funny about my comment?
    Stranger things have happened...

On reflection, maybe ronaldo was right to go to the ref.
    But the winking and shusshing to the bench afterwards makes him look a complete and utter tosser, I don't care what anyone says.

And I'm not saying Ronaldo was responsible for Rooney being sent off or the reason for England not progressing in the world cup, I'm just saying he acted like an utter tosser.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

Rooney hasnt said anything, his advisors or some PR guy wrote it for him.

Have you ever seen him interviewed, all he can see is 'mumble mumble, I'm a young lad.....'

Doesn't really matter, Ronaldo will be gone soon.

zabbo wrote:
    Rooney hasnt said anything, his advisors or some PR guy wrote it for him.

Have you ever seen him interviewed, all he can see is 'mumble mumble, I'm a young lad.....'

Doesn't really matter, Ronaldo will be gone soon.

Do any fotballers form this era say anythnig which isn't written for them?! Rooney, according to BBC, stated that "I bear no ill feeling to Cristiano but am disappointed he chose to get involved."

Ronaldo has said the quotes about him moving to Real were made up.
    Rooney said he has no problem with Ronaldo.

RoRoRo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,587 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

RoRo.

Is Rossi ever likely to be that good?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,587 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

Ro?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,251 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

Is Rossi ever likely to be that good?

I don't think so. Hasn't looked all that impressive for United in his games so far. He may have broken plenty of records in the reserves but there's a big difference between playing for the reserves and the first team.

He's 19 now and still hasn't made a big impact, unlike players like Michael Owen, Rooney or Ronaldo at that age.

• Advertisement

Lemlin wrote:
    I don't think so. Hasn't looked all that impressive for United in his games so far. He may have broken plenty of records in the reserves but there's a big difference between playing for the reserves and the first team.

He's 19 now and still hasn't made a big impact, unlike players like Michael Owen, Rooney or Ronaldo at that age.

Yeah, I thought that. In fairness, he's done alright when he's come come on. Seemed to have a nice touch (and destroyed Burton Albion ;) ), but I can't really understand how he seems to be carrying so much expectation.

Advertisement