Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

VB Out of string space error

Options
  • 30-06-2006 4:17pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,268 ✭✭✭

I have an application which unzips files. As part of this process it loads the file contents into memory as a string.

I am now (with very very large zips) getting the error

Run Time error 14
    Out of string Space

Anyone have any detailed suggestions?

Many Thanks

MM

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,943 ✭✭✭Mutant_Fruit

don't load it into memory :P

Detailed suggestion would be to not load the actual data into memory all at once. Stream it to disk. If you need to perform work on it, then only have 1meg in memory at any one time (or whatever) and stream the rest of the file as needed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,268 ✭✭✭mountainyman

How would one do that in VB6 any ideas?

MM

Use a FileStream, or StreamReader, or whatever the equivalent thing is in VB. I can't tell you exactly how to do it, as i don't know how you're application is working. It should be possible to read the zip index, and hold a list of files and the relevant details in memory. Using that list (which should use well under 50kB of memory) you can select what files you want to decompress/read etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,466 ✭✭✭Smoggy

i think a vb6 string can hold 2 billion chars ! can you be going over this value ?

Smoggy wrote:
    i think a vb6 string can hold 2 billion chars ! can you be going over this value ?
    He can't be going over it as unless he has a 64bit computer, he can't address enough ram to max out that string but doesn't it have to be 2 billion characters of continuous space? That's what he doesn't have.

• Advertisement

The file in question has 500 million characters.
    What does '2 billion characters of continus space' mean.

MM

The thing is when you allocate a 500 byte item, your computer will search for the first block of free memory that is 500bytes long and then take that for the string. If you try to allocation 500 million bytes of a string, your computer will search for the first block of free memory thats 500 million bytes long, which may not exist! If it doesn't exist, you'll get an out of memory error.

The moral of the story, don't try to allocate huge objects, it won't work. Assuming that you're only using one byte per character (but thats not actually what's happening) you'd need a block of free memory thats over 470megabytes in size. But i think you'd actually be looking at over a block of free memory that's a gigabyte in size

But i think you'd actually be looking at over a block of free memory that's a gigabyte in size
    2 bytes per character. The relevant string is a block of un gzipped data which is set up to 'break' the code.

Thing is I can't figure out how to pass the ungzipped data back as a series of strings.

It's a tough one alright.

MM

Can i see your code for reading in the file?

Delighted to show you the code: The ungzip class references zlib and was taken from

[url]
    http://tinyurl.com/qwgal
    [/url]

credit is given at the top of the .cls file.:p
    Private Function UnGZipFiles(ByRef strFileName As String) As String
    ' The procedure recives the name of the .gz file, unzips the file into memory and
    ' creates a new file to hold the contents

Dim intInFile As Integer
        Dim intOutFile As Integer
        Dim strFileData As String
        Dim strOutFileName As String
        Dim objUnGZip As UnGZipFile

' Create the unzip object
        Set objUnGZip = New UnGZipFile

' Read the compressed file into a string
        intInFile = FreeFile
        Open strFileName For Binary As #intInFile
        strFileData = Space(LOF(intInFile))
        Get #intInFile, , strFileData
        Close #intInFile

' Decompress the string now
        Call objUnGZip.UncompressString(strFileData, Z_GZIP)

' Create the output filename
        strOutFileName = GetUnzipFileName(strFileName)
        strOutFileName = Left(strOutFileName, Len(strOutFileName) - 4) & ".ocp"

' Write the uncompressed file data to the output file
        intOutFile = FreeFile
        Open (strOutFileName) For Output As #intOutFile
        Print #intOutFile, Left(strFileData, Len(strFileData) - 2)
        Close #intOutFile

' Clear the memory
        Set objUnGZip = Nothing

' Return the filename to the parser for processing
        UnGZipFiles = strOutFileName

End Function

• Advertisement
Advertisement