Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where to purchase second hand bikes?

Options
  • 30-06-2006 4:29pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 864 ✭✭✭

What shops deal in second hand racers around Dublin and the surrounding areas?

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,413 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

Dunno about getting a 2nd hand road bike (racer), but it's fairly common to see 2nd hand MTBs on Fairview at both Little Sport (north end of the pediestrian bridge) and City Cycles (bottom of Malahide Rd). That's where I'd start looking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,946 ✭✭✭BeardyGit

I got a couple of good deals this weekend on second-hand bikes at the Cycle Inn out in Tallaght. They don't have any racers as far as I can see in their second-hand stock but I'm sure they'd keep you in mind for anything if you dropped in with your name and number.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 864 ✭✭✭Aedh Baclamh

Thanks for the responses, think I might be getting an old banger during the week and I intend on doing it up myself. Shouldn't be too difficult with the help of a few websites? And where do you recommend I buy parts, as I was in cycleways recently and it looked a bit steep to me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 757 ✭✭✭milod

Thanks for the responses, think I might be getting an old banger during the week and I intend on doing it up myself. Shouldn't be too difficult with the help of a few websites? And where do you recommend I buy parts, as I was in cycleways recently and it looked a bit steep to me.

eBay has lots of shimano kit for sale...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,481 ✭✭✭Morgan

The Cycle Inn in Tallaght always has a number of second hand bikes for sale. They're good for parts too.

http://www.thecycleinn.com/

You can also get your parts online, e.g. from Chain Reaction

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

I'd use Buy & Sell, I got two hybrids there, one under half retail, the other one third retail. Alternatively good bargains also pop up here on boards.

At the moment there seem to be a number of road bikes on B&S from €300-400. Make sure you find out the retail; going rate really is no more than 60% once it's second-hand, and that would be for something perfect. Bikes do not seem to shift quickly in Buy & Sell, I see people dropping prices continually.

Also see the other thread here - someone is selling their training bike.

Other than that I got a perfect Trek 1000 half retail from Cycleogical on the quays a few years back. But generally you will not get great deals from a shop AFAIK.

Advertisement