Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What Primary School?

Options
  • 30-06-2006 5:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭

As a 'blow in' I am unfamiliar with the primary schools in the area and their policies. What catchment area is Charlesland in? Are there any rule/policies regarding enrolment. Do you have to get their name down fast. Our little nipper will probably be christened COI (although I don't belong to a church here - Delgany is closest I suppose. Will that mean less of a choice of schools. Oh dear god! It's a minefield!!!! Help.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 950 ✭✭✭Bettyboop

neets wrote:
    As a 'blow in' I am unfamiliar with the primary schools in the area and their policies. What catchment area is Charlesland in? Are there any rule/policies regarding enrolment. Do you have to get their name down fast. Our little nipper will probably be christened COI (although I don't belong to a church here - Delgany is closest I suppose. Will that mean less of a choice of schools. Oh dear god! It's a minefield!!!! Help.
    St.Patricks is C.O.I. St.brigids ,St.kevins, lawrances are RC I would advise to get his/her name down fast in 1 of them.There is another school in Delgany think its C.O.I. cant think of the name!!! It doesnt matter what school you choose or catchment area you live in as children from kilcoole and bray go to these schools .

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭sasmac

The three catholic schools do not have a waiting lists what you do is go to the school in the october before they are due to start and put there names down. There is on form as far as i know and you put the list of schools in preference order and the three schools will then tell you which school you get as the schools as so popular you may not get your first choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,936 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

the one in Delgany is "Delgany National School" and it is CofI.

the schools all have selection criteria based on religion, where you live, whether the child has siblings already attending the school etc.

if you're having the child christened CofI I'd say puts their name down for Patricks and Delgany - both schools take advance applications afaik.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Pat-ience

Enrolment forms for St.Brigid's, Greystones available

from school secretary's office November 3rd-14th for

those wishing to apply for a place for their child in the school for September 09.

A birth cert (or baptismal if applicable) and PPS number is required.

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭Matt Le Tissue

Pat-ience wrote: »
    Enrolment forms for St.Brigid's, Greystones available

from school secretary's office November 3rd-14th for

those wishing to apply for a place for their child in the school for September 09.

A birth cert (or baptismal if applicable) and PPS number is required.

All of the above as far as I'm aware applies to all the primary schools in G'stones.
    Application forms for starting next year are available from St Patricks school and from the parish office in the Swann hall in St. Patricks church.

There are also the 2 new schools as well, The Educate together and the Gaelscoileanna.

This might sound a bit ridiculously previous but if you're considering CofI primary then you should also consider the CofI secondary school in Wicklow town, East Glendalough. This school is practically impossible to get into unless you're CofI and from what I've seen of it is a fantastic school.......... currently, of course things can change over time.

What year will your nipper be starting?

Neets if you want any help with St. Patricks, then pm me , I might be able to help.
    The vicar at St. patricks is retiring this year, I think, and he's an absolute gent. If you want to get your nipper baptised there then I'd get a move on, beacuse the forms for next years start should be sent in in early to mid November (3rd to 14th, the same as Brigids I think)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11 Pat-ience

Sorry Matt, I wanted to be law abiding and not start a new thread about schools in Greystones, so resurrected this one, as it seemed the most appropriate. So many of the others had got controversial. Of course all that you say is true.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 cheers

The new Gaelscoil in Greystones is up in Blacklion opposite Lidl. They are an Inter denominationl school which means they cater for both Catholic and Church of Ireland children. Their enrolment for next sept takes place the first two weeks this November where an application form can be collected from the school office. They are also holding an open day on Sat the 8th of Nov where parents and children can go and visit the school between the hours of 11am to 1pm.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 Jobo32

Can anyone advise what primary schools would have a "good" reputation for the kilcoole area? (Catholic kid hoping to play a bit of soccer or rugby).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭DubOnHoliday

Jobo32 wrote: »
    Can anyone advise what primary schools would have a "good" reputation for the kilcoole area? (Catholic kid hoping to play a bit of soccer or rugby).
    There is only St Anthonys, its a very good school.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Beettreat

Hi there,
    Just wondering I am hoping to send my child to one of the primary schools in Greystones but was wondering if anyone knows if there is a difference between St Lawrences, St Kevins and St Bridgets?

Also I know there is supposed to be a certain date to get forms - does anyone know when?

Last of all - where is St Lawrences based? I have been driving in circles trying to find it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,936 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

St Laurences is here: http://tinyurl.com/stlaurences

afaik Laurences, Kevins and Brigits operate a common enrolment and your address will determine which school you get. Theres also the educate together and gaelscoils.

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭Son of Jack

I believe it is generally accepted that the standard of all the schools you refer to is very good.

In fact Greystones is fortunate that all six primary schools in the immediate area have a lot to recommend them.

Enrolment for Junior Infants in the three schools you mention will commence on Monday 2nd November and continue until Friday 13th November 2009.

The application forms will be available from the school offices during this time.

If you go to Greystones Wikipedia http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greystones

and scroll to the end of the page you will see the websites of five of the local primary schools. This may be of some interest to you.

For some reason Greystones Educate Together does not get a mention, but if try www.greystoneset.ie I think you will find it. This school would follow the policy of all the Educate Together schools; enrolment being on a 'first come first served' basis.

I don't know when the Gaelscoil enrols as like the ET it is newly established (since September 2008)

Good luck in your search.

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭wicklowgal

Hi All,
    Just thought I'd add my 2 cents!

I've subbed in St. Laurences and St. Kevins and find them both to be outstanding schools. However, St. Kevins is very strict about its' Roman Catholic policy. I've heard stories of a lot of COI people having their children turned away from there. St. Laurences seems to have a great resource department. They are very well adapted for children with special needs as well, so if you're child has special needs, I would HIGHLY recommend St. Laurences.

However, I would not hesitate to recommend St. Brigids either, as I went there many years ago and loved it.

Advertisement