Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

England - Portugal before/during/after.

• 30-06-2006 5:25pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭

A few bits and pieces to start this one off.

Sepp Blatter is now a pundit too
    Unimpressed by England's 1-0 win over Ecuador to secure a quarter-final with Portugal on Sunday, Blatter told Berlin daily Tagesspiegel: "I'm pleased that very attacking football is being played.

"The English are an exception, they played in the second round with one striker. That's not the sort of attacking football you expect from a team that aspires to the title
    While he is right in his observation he was wrong to say it I think.

Phil Neville responds.
    I don't listen to Sepp Blatter because I don't want to, because I've got a World Cup quarter-final and so have 21 other players on Saturday.

"And I don't want to hear negative things and people telling us how bad we are.

"People can say whatever they want. Our frame of mind playing for England is positive. You wouldn't expect us to be any different, would you?"

Lampard missed training but looks like he'll be fit to play however Ronaldo won't be unless Big Phil is messing with our heads.
    FRANK LAMPARD expects to be fit for England's World Cup quarter-final clash with Portugal tomorrow.

Lampard, 28, twisted an ankle in training yesterday as Sven-Goran Eriksson prepared his team for the last-eight clash.

The Chelsea and England midfielder underwent treatment and expected to train as normal at the stadium in Gelsenkirchen today.

An England spokesman said: "Frank feels fine this morning.
    CRISTIANO RONALDO'S chances of facing England in tomorrow's World Cup quarter-final looked to be fading after he missed another Portugal training session today.

The Manchester United winger, who suffered a thigh injury during Portugal's last-16 win against Holland, was unable to train yesterday, receiving physio treatment instead.

And today there was no sign of him as Portugal held their final training session at their Marienfeld base before travelling to Gelsenkirchen, where they were due to hold an evening training session at the Gelsenkirchen Arena.

The roof will be closed but I dunno if thats a good or bad thing.

Mike.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,731 ✭✭✭el rabitos

before - english media act like england are the best in the world

during - england play muck and media say the best in the world have bad days and need to win ugly games

after - media say the team is still young and will recover from the crushing defeat and be ready and primed to win world cup 2010

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

mike65 wrote:

Phil Neville responds.

I don't listen to Sepp Blatter because I don't want to, because I've got a World Cup quarter-final and so have 21 other players on Saturday.

"And I don't want to hear negative things and people telling us how bad we are.

"People can say whatever they want. Our frame of mind playing for England is positive. You wouldn't expect us to be any different, would you?"

Poor Phil must be suffering from flashbacks, or is it a typo?;)

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,049 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

The Muppet wrote:
    Poor Phil must be suffering from flashbacks, or is it a typo?;)

Was thinking the very same myself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Some great odds for a Portugal win 2-1 if an England player opens the scoring.

Gerrard-Portgual 125/1 Lamps-Portugal 125/1 (that should be much higher!),Beckham-Portugal 150/1 (worth a punt that one).

Mie.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭herbieflowers

el rabitos wrote:
    before - english media act like england are the best in the world

during - england play muck and media say the best in the world have bad days and need to win ugly games

after - media say the team is still young and will recover from the crushing defeat and be ready and primed to win world cup 2010

hahaha! Don't forget the endless references to '66!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

mike65 wrote:
    Some great odds for a Portugal win 2-1 if an England player opens the scoring.

Gerrard-Portgual 125/1 Lamps-Portugal 125/1 (that should be much higher!),Beckham-Portugal 150/1 (worth a punt that one).

Mie.

I got 12/5 for a Portugal win.

The teams

England: Robinson, Neville, Ferdinand, Terry, A Cole, Beckham, Lampard, Hargreaves, Gerrard, J Cole, Rooney.

Portugal: Ricardo, Miguel, Carvalho, Meira, Valente, Petit, Maniche, Tiago, Figo, Ronaldo, Pauleta.

Referee: Horacio Elizondo (Argentina)

Ronaldo plays, must get that bet on.

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,484 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Watching Lineker and cohorts on BBC1 atm and they just don't seem to think that Ingerland can loose.

That said, they haven't played well yet and here they are..

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,432 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

1456 BST: A good omen for England is that the only time they have won a World Cup quarter-final also came on 1 July. England 3-2 Cameroon in 1990.

from the bbc text commentary

Maybe im reading this wrong, but wouldnt england have won a quarter final in the 1966 world cup....or did they not have quarter finals back then :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

Watching the BBC build up and it seems pointless to watch the match now.They already have the game won according to the.They have the better players,the better team and will be Portugal not matter how they play.:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

from the bbc text commentary

Maybe im reading this wrong, but wouldnt england have won a quarter final in the 1966 world cup....or did they not have quarter finals back then :)

On foreign soil

Lol, Dumphy and Jiles in full flow this afternoon, great entertainment :)

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,495 Mod ✭✭✭✭spockety

Watch RTE.

They have all four of Souness, Giles, Brady, and Dunphy on the panel!

spockety wrote:
    Watch RTE.

They are in great form as well!!!

Big Nelly wrote:
    They are in great form as well!!!

Yeah very entertaining

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

spockety wrote:
    Watch RTE.

:(

Thats a great start for England, Mic wouldnt work for Becks speech

RTE are abit behind the BBC coverage because of that stupid ad

Back the same now

Portugal look very comfortable on the ball has to be said.

Beckham is having another very poor game, firstthing i've seen him do is that woeful free kick.

Two game threads..maybe they can be merged ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭Vokes

Zzzzzzzzzzz

Scolari is sure to get Portugal going after half time.

Tis a void I tell you! Football is being sucked into a black hole of tactical stalemate.

Mike.

4-5-1 just isn't working for England.

Either Lampard or Gerrard need to come off for Crouch but that probably won't happen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭Attractive Nun

My word take off Beckham, please! And Lampard, poor at best. Thank God for Ronaldo - as much as people hate him - he's at least interesting, trying to do something. I hope Portugal win.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

Houghton got it spot on when he said they're cancelling each other out. They are both playing the exact same system and it's a dull affair.

Penalty dramas beckon here, can't see either team scoring atm, and either do that's probably enough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,726 ✭✭✭✭DMC

Longfield wrote:
    Penalty dramas beckon here, can't see either team scoring atm, and either do that's probably enough.
    Remind me how the penalty shoot-out during Euro 2004 went? Did Portugal score all and did England choke a few?

Dunphy with "sir david" very funny

Poor game, lampard has bottled it, gave the ball away anumber of times, Beckham is doing nothing, Neville isnt fit

DMC wrote:
    Remind me how the penalty shoot-out during Euro 2004 went? Did Portugal score all and did England choke a few?

Think it was a few, cant remember now

• Advertisement

SofaKing wrote:
    4-5-1 just isn't working for England.

Either Lampard or Gerrard need to come off for Crouch but that probably won't happen.

Give it 15-20 minutes, then put Lennon and Crouch on for Lampard and Beckham.

Robinson
    Neville--Ferdinand--Terry--Cole
    Hargreaves
    Lennon
    Gerrard
    Cole
    Rooney
    Crouch

It won't happen, of course. And now that I've said that Beckham will score a free kick* and Lampard will finally get one of his shots in the net.

*See the position of that free for Beckham near the end of that half? It was perfect! What happened? Right into the wall.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,432 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

45 mins: Shot number 23 of the tournament on goal from Frank Lampard. Ricardo is equal to the task and saves easily. The Chelsea man is joined at the top of list of players who have fired on goal without scoring by team-mates Michael Ballack and Michael Essien.

Chelsea are gonna be a fun team next year by these accounts :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,726 ✭✭✭✭DMC

Big Nelly wrote:
    Think it was a few, cant remember now

Dug it out... at least they don't have Vassell! :P

Portugal won 6-5 on penalties in Euro 2004...
    Penalty shoot-out: Portugal 6-5 England

Portugal 6-5 England: Ricardo scores

Portugal 5-5 England: Vassell misses

Portugal 5-5 England: Postiga scores

Portugal 4-5 England: Cole scores

Portugal 4-4 England: Maniche scores

Portugal 3-4 England: Hargreaves scores

Portugal 3-3 England: Ronaldo scores

Portugal 2-3 England: Terry scores

Portugal 2-2 England: Rui Costa misses

Portugal 2-2 England: Lampard scores

Portugal 2-1 England: Simao scores

Portugal 1-1 England: Owen scores

Portugal 1-0 England: Deco scores

Portugal 0-0 England: Beckham misses

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Neither of the forwards on each side are getting any kind of flow, hopefully a better second half.

Give it 15-20 minutes, then put Lennon and Crouch on for Lampard and Beckham.

Robinson
    Neville--Ferdinand--Terry--Cole
    Hargreaves
    Lennon
    Gerrard
    Cole
    Rooney
    Crouch

It won't happen, of course. And now that I've said that Beckham will score a free kick* and Lampard will finally get one of his shots in the net.
    Yup, decent lineup, definitely won't happen though.

DMC wrote:

Hehe, well I'm a neutral here, don't mind at all if it goes to peno's and the end result, that said its great entertainment to hear the Ingerland commentators going through torture during it all :)

Also some of my workmates are from Portugal so would have to say I'm a little biased for that reason (and the media's obsession with '66).

• Advertisement

SofaKing wrote:
    Yup, decent lineup, definitely won't happen though.
    Ooops, may have spoke too soon - Becks coming off?

Sir Becks off, Lennon on

England are so so lucky this World Cup. Beckham gets injured! It's like the football Gods are smiling on them.

Yep Becks off, he has been terrible so far, no wonder free kicks though..thats extra time gauranteed imho.

In othernews..Lampard..can he score even against an open net!!

First non Becks cornor and they nearly score

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Ah they all missed it that time, over the bar!

• Registered Users Posts: 432 ✭✭Duras

OMG Joe Cole almost created upset :eek:

My word Lennon is better than Beckham.

My word.

Better game now with lennon on, think Becks could be out of World cup he didnt look happy on bench and was holding his knee

Yep, game definately opened up a lot since "Sir David" left the arena, England all of a sudden seem to have another man on the pitch.

OooooooooooH!

Rooney sees red!! OMG!! - stomped on the portugese player nutz.. justified imho

• Registered Users Posts: 432 ✭✭Duras

Well done referee! The trouble maker is off.

Rooney off because of Ronaldo

Longfield wrote:
    Yep, game definately opened up a lot since "Sir David" left the arena, England all of a sudden seem to have another man on the pitch.

They dont now, have one less:p :p

• Advertisement
Advertisement