Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

England - Portugal before/during/after.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

****ing refs ruining the ****ing games.

• Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭ullu

Big Nelly wrote:
    Rooney off because of Ronaldo

Why? Did Ronaldo force him to stamp on Carvalho's balls?

• Registered Users Posts: 432 ✭✭Duras

Big Nelly wrote:
    Because of poor nerves... He should go play boxing or something, he really seems up for that...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,541 ✭✭✭Davei141

Nice one ref, you blind dumbass.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,474 ✭✭✭YeatsCounty

I honestly think that Rooney's stamp was purely accidental. He shouldn't have pushed Ronaldo away but it was hardly a straight red card offence.

Horrible decision from the referee IMO.

EDIT: And before anyone says anything, yes I will have a look at it again later on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

Big Nelly wrote:

oh! here was me thinking it was because he was a petulant little git who stamped on another blokes balls in studded boots

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,484 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Big Nelly wrote:

No, he's rightly off for deliberatly kicking another player in the balls, and rightly so!!

Its exciting stuff :)

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Was that stamp on purpose though? Looked like he didn't know where Carvalho was. Anyone notice Rooney shoving Ronaldo away? I wonder...

England were looking the better team in the first 20 minutes of this half, but they'll be up against it big time now.

I honestly think that Rooney's stamp was purely accidental. He shouldn't have pushed Ronaldo away but it was hardly a straight red card offence.

Horrible decision from the referee IMO.

no way was that accidental

granted it wasnt on purpose that he got him in the balls, but the stamp was in no way accidental at all

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭Vokes

Instant red - misses 2 games?

Anyways, i think with Crouch on + Lennon, England could still nick this in normal time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Crouch on, lets see what he can do. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

So, should England progress, their only forward options are Crouch and Walcott? Once again I applaud you Sven.

SofaKing wrote:

Anyways, i think with Crouch on + Lennon, England could still nick this in normal time.

that depends

i think the man difference will be made to count

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

Was that stamp on purpose though? Looked like he didn't know where Carvalho was. Anyone notice Rooney shoving Ronaldo away? I wonder...

England were looking the better team in the first 20 minutes of this half, but they'll be up against it big time now.

Rooney pushed Ronaldo because he came over to the ref asking for him to be booked!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,408 ✭✭✭Huggles

very harsh red, is legs were locked by carvalho falling. He was rolling around screaming and then ronaldo said something to referee, think rooney was sent off for pushing ronaldo

• Advertisement
  • Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Strangely enough the BBC commentators seem to think that it was a stonewall red-card, they agree completely with the decision!

The-oh, The-oh... :)

Strangely enough the BBC commentators seem to think that it was a stonewall red-card, they agree completely with the decision!

The-oh, The-oh... :)

the mind boggles! No doubt RTE are going mad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,198 ✭✭✭kensutz

SofaKing wrote:

Up to Fifa to decide

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,484 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Maybe the fact that Carvalio has Roonies stud marks on his nutz has something to do with the red card ?

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

Longfield wrote:
    Maybe the fact that Carvalio has Roonies stud marks on his nutz has something to do with the red card ?

Rooney couldnt do anything about it as he had his leg locked in my carvalhos

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 432 ✭✭Duras

SofaKing wrote:

That's the games with Andorra and Macedonia if I'm not mistaken. It is not that bad, is it? :D

Also Walcott knows how Crouch plays so the 2 of them can combine since they spent time at Southampton together

Helix wrote:
    no way was that accidental

granted it wasnt on purpose that he got him in the balls, but the stamp was in no way accidental at all
    I don't deny that you're right, I will have another look at it again. At this moment, I do think that it was accidental. The referee should have used his discretion in handling that incident.

It's turning into a very interesting match indeed now. I don't fancy England's chances should this go to penalties.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

Will the England fans start burning shirts like they did with Beckham, if they dont then it would be seen as favoritism to Sir Becks:p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

Deserved a red, when will he learn?

Misses the final, or the next few qualifiers

Yeah your right!! England have got moving now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,726 ✭✭✭✭DMC

kensutz wrote:
    Also Walcott knows how Crouch plays so the 2 of them can combine since they spent time at Southampton together

Is that possible since Crouch left for Liverpool as soon as Southampton was relegated, and Walcott came on since then?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,676 ✭✭✭✭smashey

Rooney deserved the red card. Last time I checked, stamping your foot on somebody's nads was classified as violent conduct.

kensutz wrote:

ah come on

walcott was 14/15 then and wasnt playin in the first team

i doubt theyve had very much time, if any at all, even training together

certainly none playing together

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭Attractive Nun

Why is it that England only start attacking now they are down to ten men?

Dunno about that sending off, looked like itmight have been accidental, but if it wasn't then it was a certain red. Pretty scabby of Ronaldo to go trying to get his club teammate sent off, but I suppose you can understand it. A part of me wants to see an England win, just because of the hilarity of having Peter Crouch as the squad's only striker for a World Cup semi-final.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Dustaz

lmfao,

"Rooney off because of Ronaldo"
    "****ing Refs ruining ****ing games"
    "Blind ref"

christ, Rooney Stamped on a players balls, then pushed another player away. Both violent conduct, both red card offenses.

On another note, England are DIRE and will hopefully be exposed as the shams they are within the next 20 minutes.
    Formation terrible. Lampard, neville, beckham, ferdinand, rooney terrible.

I cant understand why ronaldo is playing as centre forward when he is playing with neville for fun on the left.

just because of the hilarity of having Peter Crouch as the squad's only striker for a World Cup semi-final.

erm

walcott

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭Vokes

Why is it that England only start attacking now they are down to ten men?
    Cos Gerrard and Lampard aren't in each others way now, 4 in midfield is working much better!

Crouch to score the winner :)

Dunno about that sending off, looked like itmight have been accidental, but if it wasn't then it was a certain red. Pretty scabby of Ronaldo to go trying to get his club teammate sent off, but I suppose you can understand it. A part of me wants to see an England win, just because of the hilarity of having Peter Crouch as the squad's only striker for a World Cup semi-final.

LOL :D

Scolari always seems to take Pauleta off and play with a midfielder up front. Strange.

So.... what odds will people give that Ronaldo won't be at Old Trafford in 6 weeks time?

Helix wrote:
    erm

walcott

erm indeed

Walcott right, word is he's nowhere near the standard and was brought as a PR exercise.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

Awful stuff. Like watching England v England.

And is that the "Stevie G" everyone reckons is one of the worlds top players? A journeyman at best.

• Advertisement

DMC wrote:
    So.... what odds will people give that Ronaldo won't be at Old Trafford in 6 weeks time?

Its looking pretty likely now. I thought it was **** that he did that!! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,677 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

The thing is, irrespective of whether or not England deserve to go through, do Portugal...? They've done f... all.

Brazil will crush England in the semi, if both make it.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

Individually they're some talented players, as a team, they're about as much use as Carvalho's balls right now

Often youths are asked to train with the first squad and I didn't suggest that he was in the first team as a 15 year old.

zabbo wrote:
    Walcott right, word is he's nowhere near the standard and was brought as a PR exercise.

clearly

if he was anywhere near the standard hed actually have started a premiership match before

fact of the matter is tho, hes in the squad

zabbo wrote:
    ...about as much use as Carvalho's balls right now

Brilliant!

• Advertisement

If Gerrard/Lampard scores this, I will be the happiest man alive....

....oooh

If they make it through, I'd doubt if Sven would play Walcott. That said, I feel sorry for the fella, would love for him to come on for the remainder of the game and see what he can do.

It's been a very poor quarter final though.

BBC's online commentary supply us with this gem....
    75 mins: Hope springs eternal for England. They are not playing as if they are a man short and a new study by the German Institute for Economic Research shows that red cards that are handed out after half-time do not have a negative impact on the penalised team.

zabbo wrote:
    Individually they're some talented players, as a team, they're about as much use as Carvalho's balls right now
    Boards.ie "quote of the tournament"? :D

Agreed, Portugal do not look good as a team. I'd fancy either Brazil or France (if they play to their potential) to beat Portugal should they progress. Ten man England look more of a team than 11 man Portugal.

Lennon had such a great chance there.......

If Gerrard/Lampard scores this, I will be the happiest man alive....

....oooh

So close, his best shot of tournament.

• Advertisement
Advertisement