Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

England - Portugal before/during/after.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,677 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

DMC wrote:
    BBC's online commentary supply us with this gem....
    They do when it's 50% of your strike force

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,488 ✭✭✭AdrianII

Looks like this is going to extra time

but crouch is playing well since he came on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

Ballsy choice from Big Phil, subbing Figo(worked before) for Postiga.

All 3 subs used by Portugal so far, England have used 2 subs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,484 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

zabbo wrote:
    Individually they're some talented players, as a team, they're about as much use as Carvalho's balls right now

Have to admit, that got a genuine lollers out loud :D:):p

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

The Portugese are diving all over the shop.

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,677 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

AdrianII wrote:
    Looks like this is going to extra time

but crouch is playing well since he came on
    ...which is why it's such a shame he waited until Ronney was gone. You need the two fo them together.

Here's a question - what happens if Crouch gets booked...>?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,408 ✭✭✭Huggles

England's defenders giving them too much room to pass.

Ikky Poo2 wrote:

Here's a question - what happens if Crouch gets booked...>?

He should be ok as he hasnt been booked since the cards were cleared

AdrianII wrote:
    He should be ok as he hasnt been booked since the cards were cleared
    Ah - good point.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,726 ✭✭✭✭DMC

Looks pretty nasty to me...

_41835948_rooneystamp203.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,484 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

English lads look very tired, extra time going to be interesting if it goes that far

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 432 ✭✭Duras

When this game started I was a fan of Portugal but know I have to admit that England have been better, especially since they are down to 10 men (!!)

We'll see how it goes in ET.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭Vokes

Enjoyable 2nd half.

Hargreaves playing really well. Gerrard/Lampard disappointing, naturally.

DMC wrote:
    Looks pretty nasty to me...

_41835948_rooneystamp203.jpg

If you look at the replay its a reaction to having his leg locked in by carvalhos and almost falling over, very harsh decision.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,474 ✭✭✭YeatsCounty

England should have a man sent off during every match! They seem to get an extra impetus when that happens, they're not playing too badly since the sending off. How will they survive extra time, I wonder?

Here's one though

If england go through

No terry, rooney or beckham, owen gone home and theo walcott who hasnt played a game all year, let alone in the world cup semi's

Looking like penos tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭Attractive Nun

Bring on Walcott to score the winner!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

Instead of blaming Rooney they are calling Ronaldo a disgrace:rolleyes: on the BBC

Wonder will get the same treatment as that Turkish lad did that he when he was playing At villa

• Advertisement

Alan Shearer: "Ronaldo's been a disgrace! You always see him running up to the referee, trying to get players sent off. We don't do that in this country, we're too honest."

Me arse!

AdrianII wrote:
    Here's one though

If england go through

No terry, rooney or beckham, owen gone home and theo walcott who hasnt played a game all year, let alone in the world cup semi's

....and quiet possibly against Brazil.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

The Portuguese really take theatrics to another level. For all their possession, they've really done very little.

I started out wanting Portugal to win this, now I'm not so sure. I think it might just be nice to see the Portuguese get what they deserve (and England too - Hargreaves is a machine!)

// edit - Portugal have 2 men sitting in England's box and the rest of them are just standing still about 10 yards outside the area - wtf are they doing?

The Portuguese really take theatrics to another level. For all their possession, they've really done very little.

I started out wanting Portugal to win this, now I'm not so sure. I think it might just be nice to see the Portuguese get what they deserve (and England too - Hargreaves is a machine!)

Yeah agreed,

Alan Shearer: "Ronaldo's been a disgrace! You always see him running up to the referee, trying to get players sent off. We don't do that in this country, we're too honest."

Me arse!
    In fairness, they don't... you rarely see it in a preiership game, and even then only be foreigners. Or when it's been very serious.

Ikky Poo2 wrote:
    In fairness, they don't... you rarely see it in a preiership game, and even then only be foreigners. Or when it's been very serious.

I disagree, maybe you don't see them brandishing those imaginary cards, but they crowd around like the best of them, and they must be saying something. It's understandable sometimes though I think. If Ronaldo sees someone stamping on his teammates balls, what do you expect him to do, just stand there? I don't like it, but you can understand it.

• Advertisement

BBC comentry

Englands performance since half time - "heroic"

?????????

Hargreaves is having the game of this life

Ikky Poo2 wrote:

Well they are just trying to make up a reason why they didnt win the WC, they can never see they are sh*t so they willl blame Ronaldo.

I thought as well in this WC the ref was supposed to book a player that runs up waving the imgainary cards? they mentioned something like that in opening game?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,373 ✭✭✭Dr Galen

i kinda agree with you there Nun but look at Ronaldo's body language afterwards, he knew rightly that he had contributed to Rooney getting sent off, and to be honest seemed quite happy about it. The game has changed so much in the past few years, as this behaviour has become the norm.

On a side note though, there looked like a bit of handbags brewing betwenn them...another Man U feud?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Dustaz

As much as i hate myself for saying this, england probably deserve to win this since all the kerfuffle. They look like the more up for it side, and i cant help but think that theyll probably play better in an enforced lineup rather than one sven inflicts on them.

Interesting fact (open to verification):

England have only ever been eliminated from the knock-out stages of the World Cup by former champions. Portugal, of course, are not former champions.

• Advertisement

nurse_baz wrote:
    On a side note though, there looked like a bit of handbags brewing betwenn them...another Man U feud?

Well if the press take into him like the BBC are doing he will just move, there has been rumblings all season he will move to Madrid so that what will prob happen

Goal disallowed

It also tends to be the team that goes on to win the tournament...

Big Nelly wrote:
    Well they are just trying to make up a reason why they didnt win the WC, they can never see they are sh*t so they willl blame Ronaldo.

I thought as well in this WC the ref was supposed to book a player that runs up waving the imgainary cards? they mentioned something like that in opening game?

Oh come on! Even Ian Wright was sayign they were'nt good enough before the match starts!! Or do you just accept what the Sun says as Bible?

The vast majority of fans - AND MEDIA - is already blaming Sven's choice of strikers.

Ikky Poo2 wrote:
    It also tends to be the team that goes on to win the tournament...
    Oh God, apart from 1998 you're right......I don't know about anyone else here but on the basis of their last two performances, "Portugal World Cup winners 2006" would leave a very sour taste in my mouth.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,373 ✭✭✭Dr Galen

ever since Celtic Vs Porto in the UEFA Cup I've not liked what seems to be the Portugal style of play, so i'D agree to having a sour taste alright

Ikky Poo2 wrote:
    Oh come on! Even Ian Wright was sayign they were'nt good enough before the match starts!! Or do you just accept what the Sun says as Bible?

The vast majority of fans - AND MEDIA - is already blaming Sven's choice of strikers.

Well what happened when they got knocked out in 98? it was Beckhams fault
    Then what happened when they lost to Portugal? it was the refs fault. I don't read the Sun so I don't care what they type in there.

The last WC they where rubbish as well but they only lost because it was a flukey goal and it was Seaman's fault:D

Do you me to continue??

Yeah and the vast majority of the press have been tipping England to win, flicked on Sky Sports news yesterday and they had a poll and it was 100% of people where sure England would win the World Cup.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,726 ✭✭✭✭DMC

Carragher for Lennon.... 118 mins...

Thats a penalty substitution if ever there was one...

Big Nelly wrote:
    ...and they had a poll and it was 100% of people where sure England would win the World Cup.
    Ah Nelly, now you re just making stuff up surely.

Carragher at RW now, the mind boggles :eek:

DMC wrote:
    Carragher for Lennon.... 118 mins...

Thats a penalty substitution if ever there was one...

Wats the bets now Carra misses:p

Big Nelly wrote:
    Well what happened when they got knocked out in 98? it was Beckhams fault
    Then what happened when they lost to Portugal? it was the refs fault. I don't read the Sun so I don't care what they type in there.

The last WC they where rubbish as well but they only lost because it was a flukey goal and it was Seaman's fault:D

Do you me to continue??

Yeah and the vast majority of the press have been tipping England to win, flicked on Sky Sports news yesterday and they had a poll and it was 100% of people where sure England would win the World Cup.

Yes. They blamed PLAYERS. Only once in your list did the blame the ref (and rightly so, in that case)

No way is there any truth in that Sky Sports statement! 100% of people were sure England would win the world cup?? Either they're making it up or you are.

So yes - please do continue

• Advertisement

SofaKing wrote:
    Ah Nelly, now you re just making stuff up surely.

Carragher at RW now, the mind boggles :eek:

Serious! I only flicked it over, laughed and flicked it back, I dont know how many people etc but they where reporting it

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

England to win on penalties, Portugal don't look in a good state at all.

Well, at least they can't blame Beckham for missing a penalty...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Gerrard/Lampard/Terry/Cole/Hargreaves for the penos

Mike.

Crouch is sure to take one.

What's Robinson's record like in shootouts?

Ikky Poo2 wrote:
    Yes. They blamed PLAYERS. Only once in your list did the blame the ref (and rightly so, in that case)

Well BBC are blaming Ronaldo instead of attacking Rooney so I bet the press will go after Ronaldo as well cause they cant blame Rooney there star,

Big Nelly wrote:
    Well BBC are blaming Ronaldo instead of attacking Rooney so I bet the press will go after Ronaldo as well cause they cant blame Rooney there star,
    mark Lawrenson called it a straight red. So did Motson when Beckham tried to complain. "He didn't see what we've seen."

SofaKing wrote:
    Crouch is sure to take one.

What's Robinson's record like in shootouts?

Has he ever been in one?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Lampard miss, cruel on the lad.

• Advertisement

Lampard's penalty is saved. Who didn't see that coming? :rolleyes:

Advertisement