Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

how would i go about this

Options
  • 30-06-2006 5:34pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 314 ✭✭

hi i have an idea for a software but i dont know anything about programming so could i get my iea patented and then find some one to make for me and pay them accordinly?anybody know of any companies that could help me

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

http://www.cai.ie/articles/patents.htm

Don't think Ireland allows software patents though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭BC

I'm fairly sure Hobbes is right. You can't patent software but you can copyright it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,142 ✭✭✭TempestSabre

Be careful. I know of instances where a developer was hired to write an application, wrote as per the specs, but deliberately created obscure bugs. Then wrote a improved version of the application and released it through another company under a different name. 6 months after the developer finished, and the application had been released to clients. The bugs were discovered but had already caused very awkward problems with clients data.

I've only a basic knowledge the "business" of software development. But while you may not need to know about programming to get an application written it would be a good idea to look up best practise on managing software development both from a design/testing and business point of view. Also look at best practise in contracts and agreements etc.

While you might no be able to patent software, there maybe something else you could patent, like a business process or something. I dunno. You'd need to look into that aswell.

• Registered Users Posts: 640 ✭✭✭CraggyIslander

hi, what you need before you even talk to anyone is a non-disclosure agreement. The developer(s) you talk to, sign a copy and after that they cannot disclose any part of your idea or indeed use any of it themselves. If they do then you can sue the pants of them, literally :D

Having done some part time programming myself (in an earlier life :p ), I have a number of contacts of freelance developers who might be able to help you out. pm me if you want me to organise something :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

Be careful. I know of instances where a developer was hired to write an application, wrote as per the specs, but deliberately created obscure bugs....

http://sern.ucalgary.ca/courses/cpsc/451/W98/Ethics.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,142 ✭✭✭TempestSabre

Hobbes wrote:

Nice link.

Unfortunately as in all professions, there are people out there that have no ethics.

Advertisement