Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Letterkenny Town Council Issues

• 27-06-2006 12:46am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,676 ✭✭✭✭

Good thread. I disagree with the comments about the art project. In every democratic society, there has to be a percentage of public funds made available to such projects. It just happens that in this case, the money was allocated to the port bridge. Look at 'the tinnies' in Strabane. They were a cross border project and have been very successful. They have never been vandalised in any way and there is a constant stream of tourists stopping to take photos. Things like this create a positive impression of an area.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,196 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Right, off you go with everything you want to say about issues concerning the town council. Keep it on topic please

• Closed Accounts Posts: 431 ✭✭donegalman1

I've nothing against Artwork in the town but the actual cost baffles me.

The Polestar for example. Years ago I remember farmers buting Telegraph pole for a pitence to make gate posts. I do think it will be one of the better pieces though.

Now am I right in believing huge money was spent on the stone cross at the Cathederal. Again not taking away from the piece itself but the cost was astronomical. I'm sure the stone didn't have to be imported.

I believe the T.C. should furnish the public with a breakdown as to exactly how the costs are broken down.

Regardless of how these are paid for we all contribute to their cost one way or another.

I believe the T.C. should furnish the public with a breakdown as to exactly how the costs are broken down.

Regardless of how these are paid for we all contribute to their cost one way or another.
    Good point. I think every Council should be accountable to the public for some if not all of its expenditure. In this case I am only assuming that some of the funding if not all of it would have come from the Peace & Reconcilliation fund or the IFI.

Damien Blake should be able to provide us with more details

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,000 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

€50,000 on the celtic cross AFAIK

€50,000 on the celtic cross AFAIK
    Christ, there must be diamonds embedded in the base of it for that money

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,676 ✭✭✭✭smashey

I may be mistaken here, but aren't all the accounts open to public scrutiny?

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,124 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

http://www.donegalcoco.ie/budget2006.htm
    That's as near as I could get, though not sure if any PDF covers the info.

Though I think you can request information (Freedom of Information Act)?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 431 ✭✭donegalman1

I believe the base alone (part given to Catholic Church) cost EUR50,000. The whole thing was much much much more....

How can this be justified.

I'd like to know for example how this is broken down by say, materials, artist costs, siting etc. I think it is only fair when this kind of money is involved. Its a public tender process so afterwards all matters should be made publically transparent

Even if Peace II paid for it surely we contribute directly or indirectly to this fund also, whether financially or through being europeans etc.

Advertisement