Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Germany

• 30-06-2006 8:44pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,494 ✭✭✭

Can the Germans go on to win the tournament despite a dodgy defence?

Will the Germans go all the way now? 19 votes

Ya
    0% 0 votes
    Nein
    100% 19 votes

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,251 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

Other than Italy, it could be argued that all the teams left have a dodgy defence so I don't see why not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

I would say they could pull it off, ya!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,432 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

Nein! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,349 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

Lemlin wrote:
    Other than Italy, it could be argued that all the teams left have a dodgy defence so I don't see why not.
    France have a solid defence.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,494 ✭✭✭ronbyrne2005

true , if they beat brazil tomorrow i think they'll win the whole thing.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭vorbis

this confidence in France is amazing. They won one match against a side that traditionally chokes. Brazil will be far too good for the French.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,781 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

vorbis wrote:
    Brazil will be far too good for the French.

And Brazil was far too good for the French 8 years ago. But then "things" happened :eek:

I'd go Germany 1 - Brazil 2 in the final. Then again, what do I know? :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

I am confident the italians will do the Germans. They have very quietly moved into the semi's without much fuss. Their defense is excellent. They will just sit back and let the germans come at them and them hit them on the break.

I can see the italians winning it actually. I dont know how i would feel if they did. Seeing totti and de rossi celebrating with a world cup medal would be a nightmare.

I can see the italians winning it actually. I dont know how i would feel if they did

I was in Italy when they won in '90. Unreal. Cars beeping their horns continuously for 72 hours :D

I can't see it happen this time though. Against a weak opponent, the winner tends to look great like tonight

unkel wrote:
    I was in Italy when they won in '90. Unreal. Cars beeping their horns continuously for 72 hours :D

I can't see it happen this time though. Against a weak opponent, the winner tends to look great like tonight

What did Italy win in 1990 ?
    I can see the italians winning it actually. I dont know how i would feel if they did. Seeing totti and de rossi celebrating with a world cup medal would be a nightmare.
    As long as Italy or England dont win it I'll be happy as it will be a victory for positive football.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Not a chance they have conceded 3 goal and RTE have been raving about the dodgy bdefence so it must be true.....

Seriously tho 3 goals in 5 games terriblle at the back, your all right dodgy defence...........

FFS stop listening and actually watch................

kdjac

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

Is there any chance the mods could enforce a policy of meaningful thread titles ? (like askaboutmoney.com)

Would be handy

This thread could have been titled 'Will Germany win the World Cup'

It could have been about many different aspects of 'Germany'

Same goes for the Christiano Ronaldo thread.

/end rant

What did Italy win in 1990 ?

Ouch, I'm aging much quicker than I'd like. I meant '82. It's hard to believe that was 24 years ago :eek:

Alot of them are on their last legs and they have Boumsong and Silvestre as cover - enough said.

Lemlin wrote:
    Alot of them are on their last legs and they have Boumsong and Silvestre as cover - enough said.

I love the way people describe older players as being on their last legs.
    You'd think they were fit for the old folks home.
    Gallas is 28, Thuram is 34,Abidal is 26,Sagnol is 29.
    Thats an average age of 29.25
    The Italian defence tonight had an average age of 29.5 and if Nesta was playing it would be higher.
    I dont hear anyone complaining about the Italian Defence being too old .;)

I love the way people describe older players as being on their last legs.
    You'd think they were fit for the old folks home.
    Gallas is 28, Thuram is 34,Abidal is 26,Sagnol is 29.
    Thats an average age of 29.25
    The Italian defence tonight had an average age of 29.5 and if Nesta was playing it would be higher.
    I dont hear anyone complaining about the Italian Defence being too old .;)

And what age is Barthez? A defence includes the 'keeper IMO. Compare Barthez and his ability to Buffon.

Don't forget that this French defence is one where Boumsong was getting his game until he lost his place with Newcastle. Or that Thuram gave away a stupid penalty the other evening, one he would never of gave away in the past.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

I think this is it for Germany. I was confident they'd beat Argentina, not by much and probably the penalty shoot out, but they won't beat Italy.

I think this is the Italians this time around. France could and probably will beat Brazil..Portugal will probably beat England but wouldn't like to say.

I'll go for a Italy v Portugal Final.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

KdjaC wrote:
    Not a chance they have conceded 3 goal and RTE have been raving about the dodgy bdefence so it must be true.....

Seriously tho 3 goals in 5 games terriblle at the back, your all right dodgy defence...........

FFS stop listening and actually watch................

kdjac
    Unless Huth is so bad that he makes Germany's defence look like amateurs then I don't rate their defence at all. It was terrible before the tournament and I still think it's terrible. Germany are playing at home and put 11 men behind the ball against Argentina.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

eirebhoy wrote:
    Unless Huth is really bad that he makes Germany's defence look like amateurs then I don't rate their defence at all. It was terrible before the tournament and I still think it's terrible. Germany are playing at home and put 11 men behind the ball against Argentina.

Worked tho, argentina scored from a set piece.

kdjac

• Closed Accounts Posts: 135 ✭✭Freedomfighter

Argentina should have gone through. There manager made some crazy subs. And you seen the difference as soon as they were made. Messi was left on the bench and requelme was taken off. De la cruz was brought on and to be honest he would find it hard to get into a championship side. Germany will be knocked out semis.

• Advertisement
Advertisement