Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dream Theater

• 30-06-2006 10:01pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 762 ✭✭✭

I was listening to metallica at work and started disscussing how rubbish st. anger is with a member of the public, He told me to check out Dream theater that they will change my life.

Being the openminded guy i am, i aqquired a few songs and i could only listen to half of one because i coudldn't stop laughing. I have visions of a guy on the edge of a cliff in a white suit with the wind blowing and his arms outstreached.

I know they have a lot of respect and fans here, and now everyone is going to say they are techinally brillent musicans, but i dont feel the need to analise every band i hear, i just cant stand them.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,437 ✭✭✭Crucifix

What stuff did you listen to?
    I was heavily into them for a while, but I only listen to them the odd time these days. Still a great band though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,949 ✭✭✭A Primal Nut

Yeah, go to youtube and watch the video of Dream Theater's version of Master Of Puppets. Then watch a version by Metallica. No comparison. Having said that I don't know much of their original stuff so I can't say much on that. As for amazing technique, meh, I know at least two or three local musicians personally who could probably play as fast, so that stuff doesn't impress me anymore when performed by a globally successful band.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭Nehpets

They're pretty good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 762 ✭✭✭Duff Man Jr.

Crucifix wrote:
    I was heavily into them for a while, but I only listen to them the odd time these days. Still a great band though.

I like really heavy speed trash death stuff, since i heard about the ubholy alliance i got into children of bodom and i must say they are one of my fav bands ever.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 456 ✭✭Arucard

if you havent heard Nevermore, go buy 'This Godless Endeavor'. one of the best metal albums ever released.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭Oral Slang

He told me to check out Dream theater that they will change my life.
    Being the openminded guy i am, i aqquired a few songs and i could only listen to half of one because i coudldn't stop laughing. I have visions of a guy on the edge of a cliff in a white suit with the wind blowing and his arms outstreached.

How long did you give them? If it was only a few songs once, then yeah thats what I thought when I first heard them (also after a friends recommendation). But now, years later they are one of my 2 favourite bands. The only thing that lets them down slightly is James LaBrie's voice, which isn't as strong as other vocalists, but their music totally makes up for it.
    I went to see them 2 nights in a row last year in London & watching them the 2nd night, playing Dark Side of the Moon really blew me away. That was at least my 4th time going to see them & they've never let me down.
    Give them a chance Duff Man. Put them on when you're chilling out, they are a real grower.
    Just wish they didn't cost so much to bring over to Dublin - the gig in Vicar Street a few years ago was brilliant, but their fees are huge apparently.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

DT have been one of my favourite bands for the last 8 years. They're so technically competent, but melodic at the same time. Metropolis Part II was one of the best concept albums I've heard in years. Everything about them just rocks. They're different, and in a good way!

Oh, and if anyone has a John Petrucci Ibanez for sale, PM me :-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 996 ✭✭✭Léan

I love Dream Theater!
    I've liked them for years, used be hugely into them, Images And Words is a class album, as is Train Of Thought methinks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,625 ✭✭✭Sofaspud

Awake was my first one of their albums, and I was amazed.

It's still one of my favourite albums, Erotomania being one of my favourite songs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

They're a 'Love em or Hate em' band.

Some people adore them, others cant stand their music. I used to be the former group but then I got Metropolis Pt.2: Scenes From a Memory, listened to it a few times and became hooked to them. Has to be one of my favourite albums ever!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Undergod

I quite like a lot of their stuff, and Petrucci is great.
    Awake is a bit weak sometimes and it aged quickly, but Metropolis Pt.2 is great, and of Train of Thought is the one where they forget about being prog and do a straight metal album, that's well worth a listen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭Somnus

I love Dream Theater.Only got into them last year but they've been one of my favourite bands since.

To the OP do you know what album the songs you got are off? Because just because you dont like one album doesnt mean you wont like the other. Train of Thought is there most "metal" album but Images and Words is brilliant.I also quite like Awake

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,625 ✭✭✭Sofaspud

I'm not actually crazy about Metropolis 2. As a concept album and story it's good and clever and all that jazz, but as a collection of songs I find the musicianship to be weak and lacking. There was just more power on Awake.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,821 ✭✭✭18AD

I think they're really good, although I don't listen to them that much. I much prefer Liquid Tension Experiment, cause it's feckin' amazing :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,437 ✭✭✭Crucifix

18AD wrote:
    I think they're really good, although I don't listen to them that much. I much prefer Liquid Tension Experiment, cause it's feckin' amazing :p
    LTE2 is one of my favourite albums. Funnily enough, I never picked up the first one though. Is it as good?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 936 ✭✭✭Beecher

Crucifix wrote:
    LTE2 is one of my favourite albums. Funnily enough, I never picked up the first one though. Is it as good?

Its better! You havnt lived till youve heard Kindred Spirits, or Universal Mind or Paradigm Shift!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 337 ✭✭MunkyHed

I must say i've had much the same experience as the OP. I gave them every chance to impress me and they did with a few crunching riffs but that singer is just pure corny or something, can't listen to them at all now without cringing. White suit on the edge of a cliff with the hair blowing in the wind... Vomit.

The three songs i have are "Hollow Years", "Pull me under" and "Under a glass moon". I've tried to listen to them a few times in the last few days but it's painful, and i think to myself why should i force myself to listen to a band i dont like, so i just put on something else.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 936 ✭✭✭Beecher

Try this. Its something a bit more recent of theirs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭OctavarIan

I like really heavy speed trash death stuff

Well then DT's earlier stuff is not for you :)

Google Axamenta and have a listen to the mp3s on their site....

[edit] meh, here it is http://www.axamenta.com/mp3/axamenta.com_AshesToFlesh.mp3

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,222 ✭✭✭\m/_(>_<)_\m/

Crucifix wrote:

brilliant band... saw them in London last year.

very few could keep up with them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,497 ✭✭✭✭Dragan

Just listen to "Scenes From a Memory"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

Dragan wrote:
    Just listen to "Scenes From a Memory"
    I echo this intelligent man/woman.

This album just flows together and is an incredible experience just to listen to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,497 ✭✭✭✭Dragan

Slurms wrote:
    I echo this intelligent man/woman.

This album just flows together and is an incredible experience just to listen to.

First time i ever heard this album i was just thinking...."****." It really is just a very clever little thing, without being completely up it's own arse. Normally the words "concept album" make me puke, but this really is rather good.

Oh yeah, and I'm a man....last time i checked anyway! :)

Ok i suppose some of it isnt too bad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

I think if you're a musician, you appreciate DT immediately. If a bystander, it takes time to grow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

Scenes From a Memory was my first Dream Theater album, and I was hooked from then on.

Still, they're not for everyone. I can understand why people don't like them. I mean, there's a lot of people out there without taste. People actually bought the Crazy Frog single for example.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,104 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Scenes From a Memory was my first Dream Theater album, and I was hooked from then on.

Still, they're not for everyone. I can understand why people don't like them. I mean, there's a lot of people out there without taste. People actually bought the Crazy Frog single for example.
    If they are the majority, surely you are the one without any taste. ;)

I like Dream theatre, and I spell it thusly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

If they are the majority, surely you are the one without any taste. ;)

If "Taste" is the likes of Crazy Frog singles, Big Brother, Budweiser, and the myriad of other popular norms that equate the dregs of an intellectual drainage ditch, then I don't even want to have taste! :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

DT for the win. Metropolis II: Scenes from a Memory just never ceases to amaze me, and of course there's always Train of Thought for some straight up metal. First album I ever listened to was Octavarium which got me hooked.

Advertisement