Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

dell cancelled order

Options
  • 30-06-2006 11:27pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 839 ✭✭✭

i purchased 3 desktops with monitors, 1 laptop, wireless router, 3 additional tft monitors and two laser prineters off dell

Anyway 1 printer arrived and then the next day the laptop arrived. Got a mail from Dell saying we no longer have that printer its discontinued but we will give you the newer more expensive model at no additional cost. So that was fine, then next week got a mail saying we no longer make that model of the 3 additional tft monitors so we will giv you the next model down and you spend the difference on dell products, should point out dell got paid before all this. So that was ok and delivery was promised asap.

So I checked the tracker and the delivery date was put back and back and the machines remained in pre-production, so I called my a/c manager and he said it had been given priority status and there would be no more delay, this happened twice.

So after 5 weeks got a mail today saying due to internal reasons that occur from time to time Dell cannot fulfull my order and that I should place a new order, it was an autogenerated email and that was it. A/c manager says nothing he can do.

So where does this leave me, to make matters worse the one printer I got has malfunctioned due to a hardware fault and needs to be replaced.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭abetarrush

Well, you're guaranteed a refund or replacement for anything damaged

Thats jus the Dell staff bein lazy

#1 irish computer retailers me arse!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,787 ✭✭✭tvnutz

Step number one would be to stay clear of Dell like the plague.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,408 ✭✭✭Huggles

I'm a Mac user myself ( :) ) My boss bought a laptop off teh Dell teh same time I bought my macbook pro, mine arrived first and was/is working perfectly. Bosses arrived a week later and would't start up, eventually it did and was stalling, crashing all over the place. He spent at least hour everyday on the phone to Dell trying to get it sorted, took him a solicitors letter before a manager got back to him!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 839 ✭✭✭zap

I'm a mac user myself but company preferred supplier crap said I had to buy Dell, even the laptop crashed on boot up for me had to do a format and re-install it was becuase dell put so much junk to start on boot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 384 ✭✭vms7ply9t6dw4b

Sounds like you spend a serious amount of cash with them, i wouldnt be having any carry on like that. Return all the goods, they didnt fufill your order as promised and take your business elswhere

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭shoegirl

I've had very bad experiences of trying to buy from Dell in the past, though it was down to Dell Financial Services, who had refused me credit, but not informed me, or any of the monkeys on the phone I spoke to for the next 3 weeks. On the other hand, I did have one or two good experiences of them many years ago.

A few years ago, I worked for a very large Dell customer, who spent around 4 billion every 5 years.

They decided to work out what the failure rate of a particular model of laptop was. They discovered that not only was it 100%, a large percentage of the computers needed more than one engineers visit to repair the problem. We also found that where warranty had expired or user damage was the cause, it was so expensive to repair that it was cheaper to scrap the laptop and purchase a new one.

Dell's service and build quality have deteriorated a lot over the last few years, much of it due to overemphasis on sales order volumes over quality and customer services.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

shoegirl wrote:
    They decided to work out what the failure rate of a particular model of laptop was. They discovered that not only was it 100%, a large percentage of the computers needed more than one engineers visit to repair the problem. We also found that where warranty had expired or user damage was the cause, it was so expensive to repair that it was cheaper to scrap the laptop and purchase a new one.

Dell's service and build quality have deteriorated a lot over the last few years, much of it due to overemphasis on sales order volumes over quality and customer services.

Firstly, thats unfair to apply that to DELL exclusively - pretty much any laptop that is damaged severely is uneconomical to repair. I find it somehow hard to believe the failure rate of a laptop model was 100% also unless it was a design fault that led to recall.

Dells service, I won't argue that, it can be terrible at the best of times. But the build quality of DELLs is usually very good for both desktops and laptops, have used an awful lot of DELLs myself and they were, to be honest, always very reliable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 779 ✭✭✭homeOwner

shoegirl wrote:
    A few years ago, I worked for a very large Dell customer, who spent around 4 billion every 5 years.

I presume you mean 4 Million :p

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

homeOwner wrote:
    I presume you mean 4 Million :p

perhaps he worked for the american gov, and she actually means billion ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 839 ✭✭✭zap

the company I'm with are one of Dell's top 10 irish customers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭bacon&cabbage

Sorry to buck the trend but I recently had a positive experience with Dell customer services

I rang customer services (in India I think) she and her supervisor spent about 3/4 of an hour trying to sort out the problem until finally they decided that it had to be taken back for repair under warranty.

A DHL courier arrived the next day to collect the computer and I recieved regular updates via text on the progress of the repairs. The computer was returned to my door 4 days later by DHL working perfectly.

The same customer services rep phoned me a few days later to ensure that I was happy with the repairs. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 638 ✭✭✭theTinker

ive had a very different (good) expereience, ordered a lap top, got it, about 8 months later i broke my recharger(i think the plug bent too much) and they are sending one out tomoro for me, technical support staff i rang about it were helpful.

original story is very different, when they gave u lower cost printers and told u to spend the difference on dell stuff , i would of drawn the line there with a red flag. i would of asked for the lower cost products, the difference back to me and expect a few free cartridges as comp. maybe im picky though but i expect gold service for my green :)

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭Belfunk

I tried to buy a 26" lcd tv of dell last november, after a mix up on their part they sent me a email out of the blue offering me a 110euro voucher. When i went to use the voucher online it was fine untill i got a call from dell explaining my order was out of stock and they wouldn't be getting anymore in. I was asked to make another order online which i did, however my voucher had now been "used" After ringing up and being transfered to every department in dell 5 calls later the head of customer service rang me and told me my voucher was used and i wasn't getting it back. I could have 10% off my next purchase.

never buy off dell.

The products that were out of production could be bought over the phone the next day no problem in stock!

Advertisement